Notices

Old 19-04-10, 23:25
Van Guru

Default Transformer. T5.1 LWB 104PS DSG

Collected it last Thursday.

This was originally going to be a kombi but VW having lotsa probs getting type approval for the version I wanted, yadda yadda so I ordered the panel van and will get windows and seats added in a couple of weeks.

Short/medium term plan is for this to be company car, camping and MTB carrier, and then all being well will get converted into a camper in a couple of years.

So work done so far over the weekend, starting with the "before" pics ...

Still smile every time I see it.

Not totally "before" as i'd already removed the lashing rings and covered the holes with flashing tape before I remembered.

Don't reckon the floor is a major source of noise, but decided to hedge my bets with some flashing atpe on the wider unribbed sections of the floor ...

... with some ply on top to bring those sections up to the level of the surrounding ribs.

Then a layer of bubble foil insulation - not a very effective insulator but again seemed to be "better safe than sorry".

Then things start to get a bit tricky.

I ordered a lining kit from plyliningservices.co.uk as it seemd a better starting place than making my own templates etc. The floor is 9mm, but a) it comes in 3 pieces and b) it has cut-outs for the lashing points (which I am not using).

So first off I had to patch the holes, including patches on the underside to make them stronger.

And then I wasn't very happy with the solidity and fit of the 3 panels ...

... so I decided to plate it with hardboard panels glued over it. This made a big difference.

There's a funny effect on thsi pic that makes the floor look like it bulges - it doesnt!

And that's about it so far - have got the vinyl laid but not fully trimmed off, and have built an internal bike carrier from PVC pipe, pics to follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-04-10, 23:29
Somebody stop me!
Regional CoordinatorOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Location: Whissonsett, in sunny Norfolk. (yes there is a place with such a name)
Default Re: Transformer. T5.1 LWB 104PS DSG

Literally a new conversion, good progress so far bud
Old 21-04-10, 08:37
Van Jedi

Stew,
If you are going to get rear seats fitted I would check with the guys that are doing the conversion for you if it's okay to go ahead with the floor finish, they had to remove the ply on mine, they were very specific on the thickness, If I can remember well, they wanted a 15mm ply? but not 100% sure, then again my seats where on a rail, yours may be a different system, maybe safe bet to check before you apply your lino! good luck with th conversion, red 5.1 looks good.
Exo
Old 21-04-10, 10:26
Van Guru

Cheers exocet for the warning

Seats and windows being done by Lakeland (not the kitchenware people) and I think they have a 3ft or so print out of email correspondence on the subject so far

Their view seems to be that its customer choice to put final layer on first or not depending on whether you want to be able to easily remove it later with seats in place or prefer to have the whole thing bolted togather by them.

My seats are going to be a 2+1 San Marco high back on quick release fittings, not rails. That may be the key point as I guess rails mean channelling through everything to fit them.
Old 21-04-10, 10:34
Van Jedi

Cool, I just thought to let you know in case you had to re do the job again later!
Nice one, good luck
Exo
Old 03-05-10, 21:48
Van Guru

So now the vinyl - B&Q imitation checkerplate is down:

I have a treadplate to go across the back but I'm not fastening it all down until the middle seats are in - justr in case it all has to come back up again.

Of course now the floor is a good bit higher than it started - so the step insert needed modified to fit. Built up the level underneath for support, trimmed back some of the support waffles under the insert where it was now fouling on the new floor, and finally (can't really see it in the pic very well) shaped a piece of ply to fit under the now raised lip of the insert, and painted it black.

Again, it's all loose until the seats go in, but end result looks like this:

Then it was time to turn my hand to upholstery with the Graphite carpet from MegaVanMats.

Decided to do the tailgate first as a) it already had a trim insert that I used to fine tune the not perfectly shaped piece from the ply lining kit and b) it had no contact with the floor or sides that might change once seats and windows are in.

As well as tuning the shape a bit, I took off a few mm all round to compensate for the carpet thickness wrapped round the edge.

I am quite pleased with my first attempt - lots of tucks round the corners, then slice them off with a sharp blade and it all sits nice and flat on both sides.

When it came to fitting the panel, I realised there are already a lot of holes in the lip I'd be screwing into, so I marked suitable screw positions with tape round the edge of the area befor eoffering up the carpetted insert. Didn't want to screw through my panel only to find fresh air on the other side!

B&Q recycled plastic bottle insulation in the cavity, sealed with bubble foil and aluminium tape. Tip of the day for everyone with no fingernails: tear your aluminium tape rather than cut it - it's a lot easier to find a bit to peel back that way!

I used black No 6 3/4" self tapping screws from Namrick which worked out very well - I bought cups too but didnt use them. The screws will drill through the metal themselves, making it a fairly simple job to hold the panel in place and use a drill to screw through the panel and metal in one go with no pilot holes etc.

Screw them right in and they almost disappear into the carpet.

Last edited by StewRat; 03-05-10 at 21:50.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in