VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Anyone fitted a sunroof to a T5?

5K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  dj van 
#1 ·
HI All

Well my ex aa has a few holes in the roof.

The front ones are going to be tv arials and as they are near the beam they could not be hidden by a sunroof.

But the back ones are in the middle of the beams so it just the roof skin section they are in.

BUT.. The roof on a T5 is ribbed, So how do i get a neat, leak free fitment?

Pics as well please if anyone has done one.

Cheers AndyT:

#8 ·
I have a sunroof on mine-just some pointers...
each corner drains to closest wheel arch- on the rear arches there is a rubber grommet just behind the interior panels located at the top of the arch- it doesnt go all the way through- drains onto the plastic cover inside the wheel arch- also has a flap to stop air blowing back up pipe to prevent buildup of water maybe?
not sure where front drains to sorry.
an aftermarket sunroof would be easier as the geniune one has a lip all the way around where the metal roof skin has been bent down- impossible to do yourself.
hope it helps...

#10 ·
My parents put a huge skylight in their transit conversion which has a ribbed roof.

They packed each groove up to the level of the top flat bits with flash banding type stuff, then one layer all round, then bonded with sikaflex (not sure which one)

It leaked, so don't do it that way!

It didn't help that the guy they got to cut the hole for it didn't put round corners in. Idiot.

#11 ·
Cheers for all the info guys T:

Djvan...Are you putting a sunroof in the rear to hide the holes?

The holes in the roof towards the front for the ex aa arials are going to be tv arials colour coded i think. I will just unscrew the little bits for traveling so it doesnt look to wierd.

The small flat round one at the front will just be blanked as i have no idea what to use that for T:

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers Andy

#12 ·
The short flat one is a gps aerial for their tracking system ,they are stuck and bolted but you may damage the paint trying !

No i had a £500 Webasto slide and tilt with autoclose fitted to my T4 and its fanatastic bit of kit ,i hate air con and want some fresh air ,great for driving home at 3am with sounds pumping !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.