Notices

Old 21-03-17, 12:10
Van Rookie

Default Thoughts / Questions on a Caddy ??

Hi All Just thought I'd say hi -Im New on here - please read the following and let me know your thoughts ....

My Plan - top buy either a Caddy Maxi Life / Crew Cab / Van to use as an everyday vehicle and also as a sleeping place.....

Are there any benefits of choosing Van as a base vehicle over the Life / Crew Cab ?

My thoughts / wonders .... If I use a 'Life' would I get extra Leg Room as in foot wells for the second / third row of seats - Not that bothered about the 3rd row as prob wouldn't use these that often..

Does a Van have a higher floor than than the Life

My plan if using a Life would be to build a 'platform' behind the 3rd row of seats that would be same height as seats when folded flat - Is it possible to fold second and third row seats flat ?? Thus creating a decent flat surface where I could unfold a bed base from the top of the 'platform' over the seats and put some foam / mattress / airbed on as a bed.

Underneath the 'Platform' put some pull out drawers / work tops holding Stove / Basin / Storage / Leisure Battery thereby giving me cooking facilities underneath the tailgate / awning.

Any benefits of having rear barn doors as opposed to tailgate ??

I'd like windows all round for when using as car - would make up some insulated panels to put over windows for privacy for warmth / privacy when sleeping.

If using a Life would there be any benefit / extra space available by stripping out the interior trim and and replacing with my own insulated and carpeted one ?

Think that's it for now - would welcome any help / comments / thoughts / experiences

Cheers Guys - if I think of anything else I'll post it and keep everyone informed and up to date on my build whatever it turns out to be ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21-03-17, 17:19
Lord of the T4s
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: Thoughts / Questions on a Caddy ??

Hi, I extensively looked into downsizing to a Caddy a year ago after I sold my T5 due to needing a smaller vehicle.
I can bore you to death after 3 months of research into turning a Caddy into a camper (PM me if you want more info) but I eventually bought a car and an Eriba Puck.
One big difference between the Caddy van and Caddy life is the speed limits. Please check but I'm pretty sure the Caddy Life has car speed limits compared to the lower van limits.
David.
Old 03-04-17, 15:59
Van Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indypop View Post
Hi All Just thought I'd say hi -Im New on here - please read the following and let me know your thoughts ....

My Plan - top buy either a Caddy Maxi Life / Crew Cab / Van to use as an everyday vehicle and also as a sleeping place.....

Are there any benefits of choosing Van as a base vehicle over the Life / Crew Cab ?

My thoughts / wonders .... If I use a 'Life' would I get extra Leg Room as in foot wells for the second / third row of seats - Not that bothered about the 3rd row as prob wouldn't use these that often..

Does a Van have a higher floor than than the Life

My plan if using a Life would be to build a 'platform' behind the 3rd row of seats that would be same height as seats when folded flat - Is it possible to fold second and third row seats flat ?? Thus creating a decent flat surface where I could unfold a bed base from the top of the 'platform' over the seats and put some foam / mattress / airbed on as a bed.

Underneath the 'Platform' put some pull out drawers / work tops holding Stove / Basin / Storage / Leisure Battery thereby giving me cooking facilities underneath the tailgate / awning.

Any benefits of having rear barn doors as opposed to tailgate ??

I'd like windows all round for when using as car - would make up some insulated panels to put over windows for privacy for warmth / privacy when sleeping.

If using a Life would there be any benefit / extra space available by stripping out the interior trim and and replacing with my own insulated and carpeted one ?

Think that's it for now - would welcome any help / comments / thoughts / experiences

Cheers Guys - if I think of anything else I'll post it and keep everyone informed and up to date on my build whatever it turns out to be ....

Hi,

I have a Maxi Life with 7 seats.

Almost as practical as my old T4 Caravelle.

The second row of seats has a foot well, and they fold flat creating a bench and fold forward too. In the facelift (2010 0n) the seats unclip and can be removed. The rear (3rd row) also folds flat but does not fold forward. It can be unclipped and slid out. The rear seat is about 3 inches higher than the second row so you can't combine the 2 to make a bed.

I was going to build a set of modular boxes with drawers and hinged lids etc but then a used Amdro boot jump came up on facebook so I bought it. Not quite as space efficient but I didn't have to build it and it is very clever. I may adapt it later. Very easy to sell should I want to. www.amdro.co.uk

Tailgates keep you dry.

My roof has a repair in it which has cracked so rather than get it repaired (loads of money) I'm having a pop top put in (more money but I want one and now is the time to do it). I'm going to put a bed up there for the kids (or me when on my own) leave the down stairs set up in relax mode or surf gear out. http://popatopconversions.co.uk/

I'm told you can gain a few valuable inches from taking the trim out, but I'm leaving mine in unless I go fully permanent camper set up. Apparently they are easy to sell as pairs.

Let us know how you get on.

Old 12-04-17, 13:07
Van Jedi
I Support CLIC Sargent

I've got a maxi combi like it lots, cracking vans but I'm really missing my T4
Old Yesterday, 04:15
Van Expert

I was all over T5s like a rash - but I didn't want to sleep in one and really only wanted it as a day van - somewhere to transport 2 bikes (inside so safe and secure), to get changed and to eat packed lunch.

Came to the conclusion, after hiring a T5 SWB for the weekend, that it was abit too big for my needs - so started looking at the Caddy.

Just bought one after a few months trawling for the right van and researching all the bolt on goodies.

They drive really nice and are roomy in the rear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in