VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

T4RUS side exit exhaust

9K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  Trimix 
#1 ·
Anyone got one ? Thinking about getting one and was wondering if they are loud? I;m assuming they have 1 less silencer box so should be. My mate has the normal full stainless from T4RUS and is spot on, hardly no extra noise at all.

Also, anyone got pics of their side exit ???

#2 ·
Sorry no pics. I have a side exit (can't remember who from off the top of my head but the guy is on here). It makes a slight increase in noise but not massive. Its not a throaty roar or anything but then my 1.9td probably wouldn't get it to do that anyway;) I got it mainly as a good option for not having a cat in there.

#7 ·
It's a smoke test only and the pp ones pass the smoke test just fine T: (in fact very easily). Assume the T4RUS ones are the same on the test.

My MOT tester commented on how well mine did he is also a very strict tester! Failed my Audi lights in the first instance with quite massive style :(

#15 ·
I have heard that they muck up your enigine (ERG valve or something?) and that you need to do other work to the enigin or you will have long term problems?

My Cat pipe is blowing at the mounting bracket so was going to do this, but now not so sure.

Anyone had any problems, advice.

Got a low mileage 1.9Tdi 80k T4

#17 ·
Hi, does the person you heard from know what they were talking about or was it pub talk do you think? Its more like the egr valve is problematic to start with rather than the exhaust it self.
Ive heard all sorts of things over the years but its what comes down to practice and facts.
Fitting a free flow exhaust doesnt cause any problems, you will notice a better throttle response and for sure better mpg also and of course adding value to your van when you come to sell it T:

#18 ·
LOL: no not at all, our old t4 2.5 had 239,000 on it, its still going strong and is used as a van, carry weight and towing so working harder than normally camper use. T:
Its all done to service oil and filter change as they get older, neglect that and its downhill from there.

#21 ·
Just had a look under the van agin as the MOT is due, the whole exhuast is rotten. Surprised it hasn't fallen off.

So can't get the bracket welded up, going to have to take the plunge and get a new system, and a side exit is the cheapest out there.

Just wondering wether spending a bit more and getting a rear exit would be better?

Also is it worth selling the CAT when its removed, I have heard they are worth a bit of money?

#23 ·
Hi, well we can do pretty much what you want, of course side exit is cheapest option T: or then maybe the twin side exit, or side exit on both sides, or side exit behind the rear wheels rather than infront of them, or side exit behind rear wheels on both sides, or out the rear on one side or both sides or centre exit? A: :D
They are all available and we are able to deliver them or if you want you can come to us for a fitting. :)

#25 ·
Well here she is with her twin side exit exhaust fitted. Its actually quieter than my standard exhaust!!! Guess I got used to driving it around with so many holes in it.

Was really worried that it might be too noisy but it isn't at all, in fact to hear it properly you have to turn the radio off and wind the window down.

This is also what it look like now with its bargin alloys and the suspension raised back up, was dropped about 75 / 65, its now 25 / 10. Just couldn't put up with the speed bumps and forestry commision car parks (mountain biking not dogging - honest I:)

#31 ·
Oi.! I'm a pesky cyclist, although I try to stay off the road.

Know what you mean thou; it needs to exit on the other side so you can blip the throttle as you go past them I:

Cyclist breaking the laws of the road - now that is a can of worms I wouldn't want to open on the forum, a whole new thread full of bull .....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.