VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Rear heater cold?

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  rsvollie 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 T5 Shuttle. There is a rear climate unit that blows from the roof, floor or side vents.

If I turn on the heat, it blows hot for about 2 seconds and then goes cold. The fan is running and the controls change the flow to different vents.

If I remove the panel at the back I can see the big blower unit.

What makes it change from cold to hot? Obviously some ducting control valve ?

Any clues on how to make the hot air come out?

#3 ·
Mine does the same. Fan working in the rear and no hot air.

Take the cover off the fan unit at the back (it snaps off). You will see the motor unit. On the front of the unit is a white ended lever that is conected at one end to a rotor arm and motor and the other end to a rotor arm that opens and closes a flap.
Pull off the connecting rod between the 2 and then with the heat dial set to full and the floor setting set and the fan running push down the rotor that operates the flap. Hot air should come out of the vent.

If it does then you know everything is working but the control motor to open and close the heat.

Now I have no idea how to fix it from here, sorry I think it may be the roof control unit gone bad. If anyone knows for sure I can fix my van!!

I jammed a wooden wedge in that rotor to keep the heat flap open. Now I have heat on or off by turning the fan on and off. It will do for now, but I am looking for a proper fix.

#4 ·
Thanks for the tip. Located the white plastic arm and when I pushed it down warm air came out the rear blower.Turned out the bit that rocks up and down had got stuck in the wrong position and was unable to move freely. I took the rocker off. It pops out and then reseated it in the right position and fingers crossed all now seems good.

Cheers mate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.