VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

DPF Filter

8K views 39 replies 7 participants last post by  nwilko 
#1 ·
Anyone having any problems with dpf regeneration after remap? During regeneration, my van drives like a bag of nails and makes some strange noises. After regen, all back to normal.

It is also regenerating aprox every 300 miles (mostly motorway driving), is this normal.

VW have tried to find fault, but seem to be pretty useless...any suggestions?

It is a 2007 2.5 130 remapped.

Thanks

#3 ·
did the company doing the remap know it had a dpf? sounds like they just did a regular remap which may be way too sooty hence the regen way too often. Tuning boxes cause a similar issue due to overfuelling.
I remapped my 130 from new and now covered 26k, I have only noticed 2 regens in this time (its probably done a lot more but I have only noticed the 2 due to the smell/heat when it happens).

#5 ·
I don't think so, although I read somewhere that Custom Code are creating a deletion pipe and map to go with it. Not available yet though.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=180763

Mines not just a case of running slow, it runs seriously rough. There must be something behind this. Anyone in the south west up for checking it over? Have called a few places, but people seem to shy away pretty quickly :c

#15 ·
I dont want this to look like an advert but see here www.oscarli.com
I create the software that a lot of UK companies re-brand and sell as their own. Obviously I cannot list said companies.
My own van has recently been pushed a little further just so I can see exactly how far it will go, turbo's on 130's are notoriously weak so I have kept this sensible but just a tad over the levels that I would sell software at.

quote...It was mentioned about dpf, they said it would make no difference. I used chipped UK.... end quote
It makes a big difference to how things can or cannot be tuned......I dont want to scare people but dry style dpf's have been known to have thermal events (never heard of this on a vag yet but other manufacturers using similar systems have had burnt out vehicles because regen goes wrong in a big way)

#9 ·
from what i understand the engine wont run without the dpf, the vehicle will regen without you even knowing it, this may be a really bad suguestion so forgive me for this one but i have heard that bp ultima (not that we're not paying enuff for fuel these days) really makes a difference with diesel particulate filters, so ive heard anyways

if you want the vehicle at optimum for regen the rev range needs to be 2000 to 2500 rpm at a steady speed, a lot of people i know when the light comes on go raggin up the motorway which doesnt really do the dpf any favours

#11 ·
thats right the light will only come on when your van needs you help to regenerate or it has a fault

orange dpf light-vehicle has been unable to regenerate and requires assistance of user to
regenerate, vehicle to be driven rev range 2000-2500rpm constant speed
until light goes out ( i think you should go for a bit longer after light goes
out)
orange dpf light-vehicle can no longer be assisted by user requires fault check and
and coil light assisted regen at vw main dealer possible fault

dpf light, coil -cannot be assisted at main dealer or by user, risk of fire dpf blocked
light and engine do not drive anymore, contact vw emergency assistance
management light

on the last one if there is no fault with sensors etc and the dpf is blocked then that one is a cost to the customer, dpf is classed as a wear and tear item and if it has been blocked and there is no mechanical reason that it hasnt been able to regenerate then its a cost to the customer......ouch had that conversation a few times

#14 ·
My light has never come on, and spend most of my time between 2-2500K (motorway). It still decides its gonna regenerate in the middle of town and drive lumpy as hell for about 20 mins...how anoying!

Do you know of anyone in the southwest that could do a diagnostics on it? All VW do is plug it in and check for fault codes...none found.

#21 ·
I cant say that with any certainty without seeing the van but it is well worth getting the standard file put back on for a quick test, if you still have the same issues then at least you know its with the van and maybe not the tuning?

Your ecu sw is specific to a vehicle with dpf fitted, VAG never use the same sw file for both dpf and non dpf vehicles. Some tuners will install a similar map to save time and money but this similar map may have come from a different spec of vehicle??

#23 ·
I know some tuners put vehicles back to an interpretation of the original file in which case could I have the same issues? Is there a way to get the proper original file on there if you know what I mean?

At least this would rule out any file problems...

Oscarli, where are you based? I would be interested in having a chat sometime if you wouldn't mind? T:

Thanks

#24 ·
Hello dryroasted

We have the same problems with our 2006 2.5 174 (not remapped). We made a short clip of this strange sound, during the regeneration.
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=6Io266y_dvI
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=KR5srOev_zw (listen too the sound of engine)

We are also looking for a solution, but our dealer can't help us at all.
At this moment, I have contact with 2 persons in the Netherlands, they have also 2.5 (not remapped), so you're not alone.
Please let us known when you have the same noise.

Greetings
Wesley & Yasmine

#26 ·
Hi Wesley & Yasmine,

Nice van btw!

Yes the first video I would say. The engine ticks over very rough and is hesitant and difficult to drive in slow conditions. After reving the engine, as the revs come back down it makes a kind of burp noise is the only way I can descibe it. It only does this during regen, then is fine.

Does this sound the same as what you are experiencing? I think the noise is the same as the first video...sounds very familiar!

It does sound like it could be a potential VW problem after all...

Many Thanks

#28 ·
Hi Folks,
Been watching and reading this thread, from a distance, for a while now. I am considering buying a T5 130ps which comes with a DPF and have tried to research the subject. I came across this, might be of interest...particularly the start-stop driving advice..basically buy a petrol!!

Anyone have knowledge of Sulfur poisoning of a DPF?

Anyone know why Millers state NOT to use XFE-PD oil in a T5 with DPF fitted?

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html:D:D

#31 ·
the 2008 Audi's now have the dpf after the cat, the idea being that once the cat is up to temp it will keep the dpf hotter too. Diesels (especially VAG versions) run very cool and due to the peak torque being very low in the revs you find most drivers never get them hot enough to suit the dpf regen criteria. Only time will tell if moving the dpf backwards will help with all the current issues.

The VAG 2.0tdi 170ps ppd cars are undergoing many ecu software updates to cure all sorts of dpf related issues but luckily its not so severe on the VW van range.

My own personal experience with a 130 T5 with dpf is good, no problems in 27k but I do vary the driving style and distances quite a lot. If you are a courier or trader with only local work then best buy an older van without dpf. I know that UPS, TNT, etc with big fleets of MB and VW vans (sprinters and Crafters) have complained a lot about the amount of time vehicles are off the road because of dpf issues.

I know a lot of exhaust manufacturers are also talking about bypass pipes but its not that simple, there are pressure sensors and the ecu software looking for the dpf to be working properly, a bypass pipe will leave you with an engine check light on and possibly limited power (limp mode)

#33 ·
Mine has been into VW today, had a years worth of updates applied, and ecu put back to factory standard so at least I have a starting point to get this sorted.

As I pulled out of the garage, regen again! Not as bad as with map, but still there. Took the mechanic out, but it wasn't too bad apart from the odd jerk and lack of power etc. I will keep an eye on it over the next couple of thousand miles and see how it performs.

I still have a feeling that something is not right, but it's just getting to the bottom of it that's the problem.

I can only preseme it is a regen and not some other intermitent fault...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.