VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

coilovers???

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  SkyMonster 
#1 ·
anyone got any reccomendations for a decent coilover set up? I just bought a set of pro sport springs and the struts are such poor quality I am sending them back. I simply can't be d to go the process of fitting them as I reckon they will fail fairly quickly ;-( don't think I would have a lot of faith in them either? The thought of a suspension strut weld failing on the motorway :eek: so anyone know of a reliable, comfortable riding set up?? thanks!

#2 ·
Bilstein B14's or H&R coilovers are the top end choice, I've driven pro sport, v max and bilstein , yeah, they're twice as expensive but in my opinion the bilsteins are 3 or 4 times more composed and controlled than v maxx and a much smoother ride, having said that there's a lot of folks on here that rate the vmaxx and have no problems with them?

#12 ·
it was a complete coilover set, the rear springs and adjusters looked fine, my issue was with the front end. The springs are very narrow and look lightweight and the struts looked like they had been welded by a 10 year old with a soldering iron!! with gaps in the welds and very thin weld beads. they just didn't look like they would last long at all.

#14 ·
not sure on budget? I now know that cheap is cheap for a reason!! i have a t28 that I am converting...when the weather warms up a bit :) so not loads of weight to carry around. Don't want to go real low, was just thinking a couple of inches on standard tyres and steelies. would rather save and pay extra for quality and safety and do the job once :D

#7 ·
The cost is something I'm weighing up for a T5. I dont know whether its big and complicated and risky in terms of going wrong or simply get stuck into it replacing one set of parts for another with likely a few difficult nuts and bolts to cope with.

The van will get some tidy wheels as part of a panel to camper conversion and most likely wont be hot rodding.

#10 ·
im going the same way with my t5 t30 lwb van at the mo, changing it into a camper with 22"s on it so was also looking for a set of coilovers

now i dont know what to do as i was also looking at the cheaper end of the market, i did have prosport on my bmw 323i and they did ok on that, had them on over a yr and nothing moved or broke and i did use to drive it hard ish on side roads, not Colin McCray hard, but i did have her moving a bit

wont be doing anything like that in the T5 but would like something that would be ok and last :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.