Notices

Old 22-03-16, 00:12
Serial Poster
I Support CLIC Sargent

Default Intermitant lack of power Mk4 Golf TDI

I've had an odd problem with my Golf for a while now. It seems to happen after a long period of motorway speed and can best be described as if the turbo has been switched off. Coming back from Wales today and all of a sudden there's no acceleration. The engine wouldn't climb past 2500rpm in 6th gear. Dropping a gear or two obviously increased the revs, but no amount of pedal would make it rev higher than where it started after the gear change. The car could cruise at 70+, but overtaking was hard work.

I pulled into the services, switched the engine off and on again and the difference in response was instant. The same thing happened a few miles from home and exactly the same treatment cured it. Engine switched off and on again at traffic lights and it's all working perfectly.

The last time this happened was over a year ago and it's been fine since, though I don't do a lot of motorway driving which might explain why it rarely happens.

It's a 2002 GT TDI 130.

Cheers, Al.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-03-16, 00:55
Serial Poster

Check the fault codes, but my money is on the map sensor.
Old 23-03-16, 15:20
Serial Poster
I Support CLIC Sargent

Default Re: Intermitant lack of power Mk4 Golf TDI

Cheers. I bought a copy of vag-com a few years ago and have never used it. I may have a tinker over the weekend. Best regards, Alan.

Old 23-03-16, 15:42
Van Jedi

I had something like this with a van, 2.5 tdi transporter, it was going into idle mode or something, there is a dump valve that needed changing, like that I turned the engine on and off and the problem would disappear! how is your fuel consumption?
Old 26-03-16, 00:08
Serial Poster
I Support CLIC Sargent

Fuel consumption is OK. 40+mpg around town, over 50 on a motorway run. Bit of an odd problem really. It last happened on the way to Wales and the same again last week. I'm wondering if it might be allergic to the Severn Bridge tolls.
Old 26-03-16, 09:26
Van Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

Your car is going into limp mode and I would almost put money on a fault code showing underboost or overboost issues. The single most common fault for this is a hole or split in a vac hose. This is a VNT turbo in your car as well and the vanes can get sticky which would also cause the same issue. The first thing to do is pull the codes, the second is to check the operation of the vnt actuator to make sure it isn't seized. After that it is most likely a vac leak meaning the ecu can't control the boost so it goes into limp mode to protect the engine.

I had a Ford galaxy (same engine as your golf) it did this and was a split vac hose, I have a Passat 130 (again, same engine), it did the same thing and again turned out to be a split vac line. A wee hand held vac pump with gauge is worth it's weight in gold for testing the system.
Old 26-03-16, 09:49
VWT4 Forum Administrator
Official MemberVW TransporterModeratorAdministratorModerator

Had a similar problem with our old golf. As above was a vac hose, if you need help with the fault code reading, give me a shout as I have a full vids copy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in