Notices

Old 18-08-16, 21:58
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
Official MemberVW Transporter

T4 Post Icon Re: Goodbye Ratrace ...... a new beginning.

Hi Erik

You must be near to 'Angoulême', 'Cognac' then ......... that's also a nice part of the world.

Totally agree with what you're saying about driving a RHD over here, OK for your holidays if you're accompanied as your passenger can spot the dangers lurking on the blind side, I found it so dangerous when pulling out onto main roads as the traffic comes barrelling towards you at a high rate of knots, and you can certainly forget about over-taking if you're stuck behind a truck ! .......... so dangerous in fact ......... I bought a French registered T4 ( long nose this time ).
It was a German import, the dealer did all the paperwork, including CT, cam-belt, water pump, exhaust and suspension, so I'm good for another 2 years on that.
I did my insurance through my bank ( BNP PariBAS ) after looking at most of the others, AXA seems to be the most popular over here, but nobody else came close to the quote my bank gave me.

I've just started a build thread for my new LHD MultiVan ( BigBlue ) here > http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1023689

The build thread for my new van will have to be different from the normal build threads you tend to read about on the forum, as I don't want to lose the original 'MultiVan' spec, so it'll have to be a none destructive conversion. Modular interlocking box type construction, each individual 'unit' will lock into the next 'unit' and then the individual 'units' bolted to the floor. So nothing will be screwed down, so if I need to put the seats back in for what ever reason, I can.

A bit like Thunderbird II ( remember the cult 60's kids program ? 'Supermarionation' ) ........... all depending which rescue mission they went on, the interior was changed out !

You on any of the French T4 forum Erik ?

TURK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19-08-16, 19:57
Previously; Trikemania
I Support MacmillanI Support CLIC Sargent

Default Re: Goodbye Ratrace ...... a new beginning.

Hi,
"Hi Erik

You must be near to 'Angoulême', 'Cognac' then ......... that's also a nice part of the world".

Too far away that nearer to Confolens but 10 miles north, I am in an old Sports Bar, sadly not now?

The destructable interior is my plan also I had a Murvi day van years ago and I moved house with it.
Old 20-08-16, 17:16
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB

Hi Erik,

Ah, 'Confolens' .......... I passed through there when I first came down to Aubusson, as I'd stayed in Niort the previous night. The 3rd picture down on page one is Confolens. Nice picturesque town, that's why I decided to stop and take some pictures.

Glad you found my trip and my move to France interesting, it may even help others if they decide to move to France also. I'll keep this thread updated as much as I can, as I've a lot of road trips planned, no doubt I'll discover loads of new places too.

TURK

Old 24-08-16, 05:24
Van Pro

Hi Turk,
Love this thread, keep it up!
We head to France every year, Eurocamp, still not done Limoges area as we go in late May/early June so tend to head as far south as we can. Stopover was in Riom this year, not far from you.
Take it easy and keep the pics coming
John
Old 24-08-16, 18:57
Van Man

why stop in France, we left UK for a holiday in 2001, we now live in Estonia, northern Baltic state. We forgot the ratrace 15 years ago.

cheers and good luck
Bob
Old 24-08-16, 22:20
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmacster View Post
Hi Turk,
Love this thread, keep it up!
We head to France every year, Eurocamp, still not done Limoges area as we go in late May/early June so tend to head as far south as we can. Stopover was in Riom this year, not far from you.
Take it easy and keep the pics coming
John

Hi John,

An avid follower of my adventures ......... and a true 'Francophile' I believe

Next time you're over, don't hesitate to contact me, it's always a pleasure to meet forum members

While my move from Jersey was quite interesting and the big change in my quality of life, I think it's made me a better person. I certainly feel that I've slowed down and begun to enjoy life more. And that's the whole point of this thread, making that change for the better. As the old adage goes 'one life ........ live it', why go through life despising everything about it it just makes you a bitter and irritable person, I just didn't like what was happening to me, so I left the 'rat race'. Luckily for me, I didn't join another one ! ........ albeit a different speaking one.

My adventures haven't even started really ......... I know I spend most of my time cooped-up in my workshop because of my ongoing project, but I will spend more time ( when my project allows ), in order to visit this beautiful country. So the pictures will keep on coming, it's also a great opportunity for me to indulge in one of my favourite pastimes, that is photography and show the beautiful places around this region.

I had to look-up 'Riom' as I'd never heard of it, now you mention it, I do know it as it was just up the road from where I bought my Multivan at the beginning of the year.

So, many thanks for the kind words of encouragement, and who knows, I may even encourage some forum members to take-up photography

TURK
Old 24-08-16, 23:04
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by eestibob View Post
why stop in France, we left UK for a holiday in 2001, we now live in Estonia, northern Baltic state. We forgot the ratrace 15 years ago.

cheers and good luck
Bob

To true Bob ....... and well done for leaving 'the rat race' also everybody has their little place of heaven, if it suits you and what you expect from life, then why not. The Baltic states don't really suite me, way too cold for me and I don't speak the language. I speak French like a native so it's not a problem for me here, but I think it's a little late in life to be learning Russian or Hungarian, which is the base of Estonian if I'm correct ! I may be totally wrong, but I'm sure you'll correct me on that so if you don't speak or read the language, you would feel somewhat alienated.

There's a lot to be said about big wide open spaces and how it affects you and your well being, as an example when I go shopping here, the town centre can have 20 or so people just mulling around ........... in Jersey, my shopping trips ( for groceries ) were just a nightmare I would prefer to forget, forget 20 or so people mulling around ......... their were actually more than that in the supermarket queue ! for me, that's a horrible experience ( I'd much rather go to the dentist and get all my teeth pulled ! ). I did see people more like 'sheep', one idiot does something, the others follow suite ! and the rudeness was amazing. Over here, where space is plentiful people tend to be more pleasant as they're not stressed out.

What some people may consider as small details, like selecting and buying fresh food on a daily basis, wasn't even possible on a small rock like Jersey, as everything has to be imported, so no local produce as it were ........ apart from Jersey milk ( I must admit I do miss Jersey milk ! ) you soon tire of vacuum sealed blue'ish meat that's probably a few day's old by the time it hits the shelves, and slightly discoloured veg.

And another small thing ........ shop assistants that count your change back in your hand, and not simply dumping it on the counter without so much as eye contact ! ........ how rude is that !

Just some of the little details that I have noticed since being here, it just makes ones life easier as you're never stressed out and annoyed at people, and dare I mention ....... it makes shopping a much more pleasurable experience.

Yeah, I know, I'm getting old !

TURK
Old 20-09-16, 20:33
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB

Hi all,

Hope you don't mind me testing my 'Portfolio' on Flicker, on you all ?

> https://www.flickr.com/photos/147451...57674154604285

Not much to show for some of my very risky adventures ! ......... almost been in the 'drink' a couple times, me, tripod and camera !

But sometimes it's worth it to get the 'Perfect' shot

TURK
Old 27-10-16, 18:09
Van Man

Hi Turk.
Just found your great thread. I've read it through...
Glad to see it all working out for you, at the beginning I was half expecting a Hollywood style dramatic fail and a return home ..really Glad that it didnt go that way.

I/ we are particularly interested as we have started to research a move to Ariege.
We are currently in out US Motorhome on sea of Cortez in Mexico, 5th year of a tour of north and Central America but a new grandchild on the way is drawing us back, and France looks to suit all our desires and needs.

Our self converted t4 took us all around Europe and every medieval French village / mountain pass and meandering river stole our hearts .... It got sold to help fund this adventure.... Time to get another on our return next year.

So , not speaking French, is this a real problem? ( of course learning is the way to go but this will take time)
Old 28-10-16, 08:22
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB

Hi Lou & Kim, glad you like the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by louandKim View Post
Hi Turk.
Just found your great thread. I've read it through...
Glad to see it all working out for you, at the beginning I was half expecting a Hollywood style dramatic fail and a return home ..really Glad that it didnt go that way.

'Home' ! ........ that was one of the problems, I never really considered it my 'home' ( Jersey ), as I always felt different. I know I lived there for most of my life but it really wasn't me. 150,000 pis heads clinging to a rock !!! the area where I live know is maybe twenty times the size of Jersey and there's about 4,000 inhabitants ! I'm not a 'townie', I much prefer the countryside, Jersey always reminded me of London ......... another shyte- hole ! Plus you definitely don't want to be unemployed in Jersey, as a local, one of their own ....... you definitely don't get special treatment, no help ........ in fact, you're more likely be considered 'inferior' and looked down on as a looser. It's seems logical to say that with 150,000 inhabitants ( according to census figures ) so that's not even including the 10,000 or so illegal immigrants ....... that jobs are very scarce. They still seem to find employment though, and lodgings ! as the states of Jersey are more willing to help those willing to bring something to the economy, at least that's the way they describe it !

It really is so sad to see that the state are willing to help Poles and Portuguese, and not their own. Most if not all my friends moved abroad. The corruption is everywhere, money talks in Jersey, so if you don't have any you're an outcast. Over the years I noticed the fast decline of Jersey, so I worked, worked, worked ........ saved, saved, saved ......... and got the hell out of dodge. That's why I call it the 'Rat Race'. If you don't like the system ( as you certainly can't change it ), you move.

Just wish I'd moved to France 20 years ago ....... but the thing is, I would of had very little money and probably would have been forced to move back to Jersey, with my tail between my legs. Having to wait a dozen years to move abroad is a painful waiting game ......... but if you do your homework, all your efforts will pay off in the end

I could of moved anywhere really, I partucarly liked Devon and Cornwall ( I actually lived there for a couple of years, Torquay ), but I still preferred France because of the way of life, and I speak French as well ! It can be expensive living here though, there seems to be tax's for tax's ........ but it's still cheaper to live here than in Jersey that's for sure. I think if you want to live well, without the complications that life brings, this is the place to be. And with you and your Mrs potentially looking at Ariege, you certainly have picked a nice spot I looked at moving around there myself a few years back, near Andora, Carcassonne ....... but the price of the property is almost three times as much as in this region. Plus this area is known as 'the land that time forgot', peace, quite and tranquillity is what I wanted .......... nice way to spend my remaining years I thought.

I can't see that not being able to speak French being a major setback, most if not all folk around here speak English or understand English anyway, as it's still on the curriculum in all schools over here, shame the UK don't employ a secondary language in schools in the UK, the UK's educational system is the worst in the entire world, that's a known fact.

What I've known for quite a while reading ex-pat community forums, and it's been confirmed by the natives since I've been here, is ......... to 'muck-in'. It is far better to try and speak French ( even if it's a word or two ) and a bit in English, sure they'll laugh at you 'the roast beef', but they're really not laughing at you, but with you ! and you'll both have fun doing it.

Employment is very very difficult to get here, no matter where you go ......... but if you want to setup a business, the government will bend over backwards to help you.

Don't get me started on the food ! .......... I must eat my own body weight in food on a daily basis gorging myself would be the word to describe what I do and it's relatively cheap too, compared to Jersey prices. I bought a decent Bottle of Bordeaux yesterday €1.99 ........ equivalent in the UK £ 12.00 !

I could go on and on ......... but I've probably bored everybody to death already, so good luck and I hope you decide to go through with it.

Vive la France !

TURK

Tags
a new beginning, france

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in