Notices

Old 31-12-16, 13:27
Wok, no noodles.
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: Learner Drivers on Motorways

I'm lost for words due the absolute banality of this thread. No wondered this forum's up sh!t creek without a paddle.

Chow mein kampf ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-12-16, 15:40
Hi ho silver away!!
I Support CLIC SargentOfficial MemberVW TransporterModerator

What's banality mean? Anything to do with bananas?
Old 31-12-16, 15:45
Lord of the T4s

Hes just upset, he was hoping it wouldnt have the B at the beginning.

Old 31-12-16, 16:30
Lord of the T4s

As for the subject of discussion.

tbh NOBODY should be allowed on motorways, or even dual carriageways, without some sort of additional aptitude test or advanced driving qualification.

That would get rid of 99% of Audi drivers straight away, some fast ford and rice rocket muppets, most up market 4x4 and some "sport" saloon and so called luxury and executive cars.

Caravans should be completely banned, they cause too much havoc, blockage and accidents.

Most of the population have no clue how to behave as it is, seriously.

The highways agency are as much to blame, lane markings should lead or indicate left lane drivers to move right and change lane right in advance of slip merge if theyre staying on, and ONLY stay in lane if theres a combined lane for a coming off if theyre exiting, and vice versa be in the left lane IN ADVANCE of your exit.

Are we seriously not in an age where smart cameras could be used to track the path of a vehicle, and administer fines if it wasnt detected in the correct lane in advance of the exit route, that would immediately and significantly drop the amount of road slowing or stopping collisions and do the rest of us a big favour.

Oh and stay out of the middle or right lane if you cant do the speed of the road or at least equal to the speed of other traffic or really need to pass, in which case you should speed up to pass.

Littering should be a huge fine, points and even confiscation of vehicle, seriously if you look at some roads theres some disgusting scruffy b******s out there, were harped on at about the environment and all that, yet the roadsides are like rubbish tips.

I would honestly like to see a tiered driving qualification, just for example say urban, standard, and advanced levels, with dual carriageway and motorway permitted only on advanced, urban not allowed outside of cities or at higher speed limits and standard only up to normal A,B,C roads. It should include a winter and bad weather component at least in the initial test and I would want to see people retest EVERY YEAR too! I would also make any non-national or visitor have to do the test too before being allowed on the road, so theres no excuses and no way to circumvent the system. Every time a road offender is stopped by police they should have to do a spot quiz, and if they fail be referred for further assessment and if needs be a full re-test or loose the licence.
Old 31-12-16, 16:37
Lord of the T6s
I Support MacmillanOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindriot View Post
...road offender is stopped by police....
Ha! Good argument but that is the serious flaw. No point in having any laws if no one polices them.

Saying nothing doesn't mean I have no opinion.
It may mean I don't think you are ready to hear it.
Old 31-12-16, 19:06
Wok, no noodles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builder Jay View Post
What's banality mean? Anything to do with bananas?
fink is first names Barry and he yous to own a pastw@t

Chow mein kampf ...
Old 31-12-16, 19:16
Lord of the T4s

Lachlan must have had a Sherry. Dont mistake me with your own actions sadsack, youre the one getting off on rubbishing good people with your snide nasty self loathing fuelled impotent hate.

Keep up the stroppy childish behaviour, it would be a wonderful start to the new year to see you banned.
Old 01-01-17, 10:28
Serial Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindriot View Post
As for the subject of discussion.

tbh NOBODY should be allowed on motorways, or even dual carriageways, without some sort of additional aptitude test or advanced driving qualification.

That would get rid of 99% of Audi drivers straight away, some fast ford and rice rocket muppets, most up market 4x4 and some "sport" saloon and so called luxury and executive cars.

Caravans should be completely banned, they cause too much havoc, blockage and accidents.

Most of the population have no clue how to behave as it is, seriously.

The highways agency are as much to blame, lane markings should lead or indicate left lane drivers to move right and change lane right in advance of slip merge if theyre staying on, and ONLY stay in lane if theres a combined lane for a coming off if theyre exiting, and vice versa be in the left lane IN ADVANCE of your exit.

Are we seriously not in an age where smart cameras could be used to track the path of a vehicle, and administer fines if it wasnt detected in the correct lane in advance of the exit route, that would immediately and significantly drop the amount of road slowing or stopping collisions and do the rest of us a big favour.

Oh and stay out of the middle or right lane if you cant do the speed of the road or at least equal to the speed of other traffic or really need to pass, in which case you should speed up to pass.

Littering should be a huge fine, points and even confiscation of vehicle, seriously if you look at some roads theres some disgusting scruffy b******s out there, were harped on at about the environment and all that, yet the roadsides are like rubbish tips.

I would honestly like to see a tiered driving qualification, just for example say urban, standard, and advanced levels, with dual carriageway and motorway permitted only on advanced, urban not allowed outside of cities or at higher speed limits and standard only up to normal A,B,C roads. It should include a winter and bad weather component at least in the initial test and I would want to see people retest EVERY YEAR too! I would also make any non-national or visitor have to do the test too before being allowed on the road, so theres no excuses and no way to circumvent the system. Every time a road offender is stopped by police they should have to do a spot quiz, and if they fail be referred for further assessment and if needs be a full re-test or loose the licence.
Spotted a flaw in your argument.....you said loose instead of lose

Grammar... the difference between 'knowing you're sh!t' and 'knowing your sh!t'
Old 01-01-17, 11:26
T5 2.5TDi LWB CamperShuttle

I think many people forget that a lot of the UK is a long way from the Motorway Network and it is not feasible to have mandatory motorway lessons, let alone annual retests on the various classes of roads.
I personally live maybe 40 miles or more from the nearest learner-restricted road and maybe 60+ from a Motorway. The cost of each lesson to get time on those roads would make learning to drive in the country massively higher then those who are near the Motorway network.

Personally I am more concerned about the general quality of driving on standard roads.

What I think maybe a good idea is new drivers to display a "R" plate for the first year, like they do in Ireland, and R plated drivers prohibited from Motorways (and higher powered vehicles as well for that matter)

Radio Fitting Kits HERE
My T5 Shuttle Build Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in