Notices

Old 22-12-16, 10:24
Serial Poster

Default Possible engine coolant fault.

Drove 120 miles yesterday to pick up a bit of chrome plating I've had done, (and a gallon of Thatcher's whacky cider-just to cook the gammon in you understand)! Anyway, back to the story.

110 miles into the journey (and nearly home) I see the coolant temperature light flashing on/off, I drive on for 5 miles more finally pulling over and reading the paper while the donk cools down. After 3/4 of an hour I tentatively loosen the cap and after a bit of froth and bubble the level rises in the plastic globe to full and I replace the cap. Drive the rest of the way home and from the warning light, ne'er a flicker.

So...do I have a fault (leak) in the coolant system or is the tenperature sensor faulty? I did see a very slight wisp of steam around the front of the bus, but this may have been exhaust from the vehicle in front as we waited at the lights.

There you are knowledgeable peeps, I look forward to your analysis. Cheers and have a cool yule y'all. Tony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-01-17, 22:12
Van Pro

Default Re: Possible engine coolant fault.

Probably a bit late but it sounds like your thermostat is on the way out.
Old 20-01-17, 11:52
Serial Poster

Thanks for the reply and your thoughts BingleyLion. Could you explain why you come top that conclusion, I can't see the connection myself, but I'm more than willing to listen?

Cheers, Tony.

Old 14-02-17, 12:42
Van Pro

Sorry for the delay mate, I didn't notice you'd replied.
It's quite common to get an intermittent fault on the thermostat before it decides to give up the ghost all together.
If it's going the temperature it opens starts to increase. Most people don't even notice but it's worth the odd check of the temp gauge to see if it's rising as you are driving along.
If the water in the block starts to boil, it will expand finding any weak points in the system to vent.
Just keep your eye on that temp gauge for clues. This phenomenon is often to blame in cars getting a warped head in weaker motors.
The water outside the block in the radiator gets cooler than normal because it sits there longer. When the thermostat finally springs open cold water rushes into the very hot engine causing the usual expansion/contraction damage.
Most people think the thermostat dies a sudden death. It doesn't normally.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in