Notices

Old 27-01-13, 18:28
Van Guru

Default Anyone else been surfing lately?

Hi all, as the title says really..

As its the pub just a laid back discussion on anything surfing really, except of course the disclosure of any 'secret' spots i dont advocate that and wouldn't expect any of you to share such info..

etiquette in the line up or lack of it?

what boards you got?

Seeing as ive started it i guess i ought to kick things off, im currently out in Morocco so surfing a fair bit which is nice as its January, as for boards riding a 6'9 pintail back home pull out the 6'4 too..

Looking forward to surfing Croyde, Puts n Saunton when back in UK my favourite place for sure .

Anyway hope maybe somthing starts rolling from here ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-01-13, 18:32
Van Jedi

Default Re: Anyone else been surfing lately?

Laid up due to possible cartilage knee issues and resting myself this weekend after a heavy week at work ...but Ireland has been having it`s fair share of surf lately .... the North Coast was double overhead on the beaches today..similar to French beaches..had a fun surf last weekend on a mal..allowing the knee some extra time to stand up ... fun little 3-4 ft barreling beach ... not jealous of anyone in North Africa at all
Old 27-01-13, 18:43
Serial Poster
I Support MacmillanI Support CLIC Sargent

I'm surfing .................but only on my laptop x

Old 27-01-13, 18:44
More than a little van obsessed

Went in yesterday. And the day before. And the day before that... now live 2 mins walk from Polzeath beach which is handy.

Mainly surf a 5'9" thruster.

Been surfing since I was 14 (now 37), done some comp judging, been in a few comps, repped for Rip Curl, etc, etc, blah, blah.

Doing a month in the van in June around Spain and SW France. Honeymoon was five months in Oz and NZ, mostly surfing.

Bored yet?!!
Old 27-01-13, 19:00
Serial Poster
I Support MacmillanI Support CLIC Sargent

I'm way out of your league.

The answer to your question is not often enough...
Old 27-01-13, 20:28
Van Guru

Hi Surfin Chef,

Sounds like its been great over in Ireland recently then and double overhead too thats pretty heavy, Ireland is on the list of trips for me n missus in the T4 .. understand the scenery is stunning and will pack a couple of boards for sure ..

Bummer about the knee hope thats on the mend buddy, good to hear u got out on the Mal though .. any recommendations for the Emerald Isle? not really looking for too heavy though fella ..

Hey ustwo,

Like it haha..

Hey Californication,

Thats a result leaving nr Polzy , and no not bored mate great to hear about your surfing n travels, honeymoon round Oz n NZ sounds great mate .. Van trip to South West france and Spain sounds really good this is another gf and I would really like to do in the T4.. and a 5'9 mate sweet ..

Hey clivey
Old 27-01-13, 20:44
Van Guru
I Support CLIC Sargent

2013 started really well here in South Wales, had some really nice big (for round here !) clean surf. Had one Saturday down at Rest Bay when I was the only one in for a while, was about 11:00am as well ? That doesn't happen much anymore

Had good and bad surfs the last year, for some reason managed 3 injuries in the last 6 months after a largely injury free period over the last 5 years So far, 1 nice scar on hand, chipped bone in elbow and split nose and loose teeth, you wouldn't think I've been doing this for 20 years Just turned 45, no intention of slowing down but think I'm getting a bit of arthritis in the hands from the cold water...

Californication: Lucky you living close to Polzeath, used to go down to the Surf to Save contests in the 1990s, great part of the country.
Old 27-01-13, 21:01
Lord of the T4s
I Support CLIC Sargent

Yep, went in today, 3ft Bournemouth Pier with around 60 people. Most of whom weren't local and most of whom didn't have a clue about surf etiquette nothing against non locals (i'm one when I head down to the SW) but christ, get some manners!

I grew up in a time where if you were a nipper or beginner you respected the locals or older surfers, if you snaked or dropped in or got in the way you got the sharp end of someones tongue or maybe more. Shame its not like that now, you can see that half the wreckage thats floating around out there now are all riding the best equipment money can buy, but have neither the skill or courtesy to be a part of any line up. Maybe its down to people buying their gear online, when I bought my first board all the rules were drummed into me there and then by the shop owner..

I'm a right nasty bugger at bournemouth, whilst it may not be a heavy or consistent spot it is now ultra crowded. I confront people who snake, shout at drop ins and those that get in the way, buts its only out of fear of safety for myself and other competent surfers around me.. I now wear a gath as I got a board to the head courtesy of a drop in a few years back and spent a night in hospital for it.

Now 45, started on a longboard age 6 with my dad and did 15 years of that then got heavily into bodyboarding back in the early 90's and never looked back. My last board was an 8ft ish custard point, white with brown rail stripes.. still got a 9ft swellboard that I keep at my beach hut on Bournemouth beach, just for summer fun..

Have surfed all over the world, Indo, Maldives, Gambia and Senegal (got bumped by a shark there) plus all over Europe.

Current boards are a couple of australian 42" NMD sponges, plus 2 handbuilt customs from california that I had made a couple of years back for the slop we normally get here.

Enjoy Morocco mate, always wanted to surf there, as the sea temp here has dropped to around 7 degrees here I'm well jealous!

Right, rant over, not trying to hijack your thread but surf etiquette is the one thing that makes an otherwise very placid and nice me grow a pair of horns and turn into a right nasty barsteward..

Last edited by Russbooger; 27-01-13 at 21:06.
Old 27-01-13, 21:10
Van Guru

Hey spongebobbrownpants,

Ive managed to get down to the Gower a few times, love it down there, llangennith ive not surfed rest bay though worth another trip ya reckon? not that i wanna be a crowd spoiler mind im not keen on the overcrowded lineups myself i must be honest..

I bought a nice set of fins from Pete Jones at his shop there

Injuries sound painful ouch.. two years back out here in Maroc i wiped out on a beauty at a break called Immsoune.. my board had fully extended on the leash and as i popped my head up it was coming back at me like a sling shot! got a fin through my face just above my left eye! after going into shock (nursed by friends) had a two hour drive south to hospital to get stiches. not good, fortunately healed well so scar not to bad..

glad your getting some though, keep it up ..

Last edited by rotel; 27-01-13 at 21:14.
Old 27-01-13, 21:31
Van Guru

Hi Russbooger,

No carry on, ettiquette is a big issue these days for sure, im personally not into violent resolutions but some of the things youve highlighted like the snaking and the dropins etc are at times getting way out of control.. everyone wants to be a surfer right? its mainstream pop culture cool? I have nothing against anyone who wants to have ago at this amazing activity of ours but its kinda a catch 22, more people try it, ok cool, but down side is overcrowded lineups and ettiquette's thrown right out the window..

Its not the Endless Summer with empty peeling points but manners cost nothing and the less aggresion in the water the better..

Glad to hear Bournmouth Pier was working never tried it but have heard it can be great fun on those days bummer about the crowds though mate just seems to be most places now..

Great places travelled mate, havn't done any of those myself im afraid Gambia and Senegal sounds pretty adventurous ?

Can defo recommend Morocco, if you like righthanders, has some craking pointbreaks too..the weather isnt to bad either

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in