Notices

Old 27-01-13, 22:38
More than a little van obsessed
I Support CLIC Sargent

Default Re: Anyone else been surfing lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotel View Post
Hi Russbooger,

No carry on, ettiquette is a big issue these days for sure, im personally not into violent resolutions but some of the things youve highlighted like the snaking and the dropins etc are at times getting way out of control.. everyone wants to be a surfer right? its mainstream pop culture cool? I have nothing against anyone who wants to have ago at this amazing activity of ours but its kinda a catch 22, more people try it, ok cool, but down side is overcrowded lineups and ettiquette's thrown right out the window..

Its not the Endless Summer with empty peeling points but manners cost nothing and the less aggresion in the water the better..

Glad to hear Bournmouth Pier was working never tried it but have heard it can be great fun on those days bummer about the crowds though mate just seems to be most places now..

Great places travelled mate, havn't done any of those myself im afraid Gambia and Senegal sounds pretty adventurous ?

Can defo recommend Morocco, if you like righthanders, has some craking pointbreaks too..the weather isnt to bad either
newgale is always a cracking place to surf no crowds. still just to hours from severn bridge same as llangenith more or less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-01-13, 22:47
I Support CLIC Sargent

few pics of newgale
Old 27-01-13, 22:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotel View Post
Hi Surfin Chef,

Hey Californication,

Thats a result leaving nr Polzy , and no not bored mate great to hear about your surfing n travels, honeymoon round Oz n NZ sounds great mate .. Van trip to South West france and Spain sounds really good this is another gf and I would really like to do in the T4.. and a 5'9 mate sweet ..

Hey clivey
Cheers. Good little surfing crew on this forum. If any of you head this way, do shout! I know a few good spots that don't get busy (not many left now!) - luckily it's very quiet in the water now (AT LAST!). Had a seal following me in the line-up yesterday; my only companion!!

Old 27-01-13, 22:51
Lord of the T4s
I Support CLIC Sargent

I'm not violent, I just let people know that what they're doing is wrong. Half of those I have a go at aren't even aware of the drop in rule

Gambia and Senegal are amazing for waves, loads of set ups from reefs to beachies and the predominant winds are offshore in winter. Around the mouth of the river Gambia the water is brown for miles up and down the coast, you can't see an inch down. Unfortunately the highest population of bull sharks in Africa as well, the buggers travel up river as they're fresh water tolerant. I'm pretty sure that was what bumped me, all I saw was a dorsal then tail fin then a bump that left me with sandpaper cuts up my leg. Just lucky he decided to bump and not taste me I paddled in feet up using my fingertips..

Have good one mate and catch a few of those big long rights for me!
Old 27-01-13, 23:02
Van Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californication View Post
Cheers. Good little surfing crew on this forum. If any of you head this way, do shout! I know a few good spots that don't get busy (not many left now!) - luckily it's very quiet in the water now (AT LAST!). Had a seal following me in the line-up yesterday; my only companion!!
Nice one .. be good if we can keep this thread going not sure what the general concensus of that would be ? are they called 'stikies' or somthing.. not quite sure of thr rules in order to be allowed one though ?

anyway good call will check out your neck of the woods for sure and happy to give a shout out ..
Old 27-01-13, 23:05
Van Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbooger View Post
I'm not violent, I just let people know that what they're doing is wrong. Half of those I have a go at aren't even aware of the drop in rule

Gambia and Senegal are amazing for waves, loads of set ups from reefs to beachies and the predominant winds are offshore in winter. Around the mouth of the river Gambia the water is brown for miles up and down the coast, you can't see an inch down. Unfortunately the highest population of bull sharks in Africa as well, the buggers travel up river as they're fresh water tolerant. I'm pretty sure that was what bumped me, all I saw was a dorsal then tail fin then a bump that left me with sandpaper cuts up my leg. Just lucky he decided to bump and not taste me I paddled in feet up using my fingertips..

Have good one mate and catch a few of those big long rights for me!

I wasnt meaning to suggest you were violent Russbooger i hope you didnt read it as such , i'll do my best on those long rights though ..
Old 27-01-13, 23:21
Van Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyswitch View Post
few pics of newgale
Nice is your van in this pic too ?
Old 27-01-13, 23:29
Van Master Jedi

I have a 7'2 fish and a 9'6 longboard (I'm 6'6 hence the big boards)

I live on the south coast so Witterings is my home break. On its day its great, its day just isn't very often. There is a stupidly large number of people in the line up, most of which have no clue as to whats going on. It's so dangerous. I'm a very calm person and not violent at all but I do get close to boiling point. My last surf was a nightmare, when its really busy I opt for a taking it in turns strategy. so im out back on a quieter section of beach on my own all's well enjoying my session, and a couple of other guys on longboards come and sit right next to me like 3 feet away. Never mind I think, we'll just take it in turns. Nope, they both paddled for every wave (missing most) then they'd catch one and i'd be waiting then by the time the next sets coming there back next to me So frustrating this went on for about 30-40 minutes so I thought I'll play them at there own game and sat further out. Paddled like mad to catch a wave caught it and they both paddled for it and caught it so all three of us were on the wave (me in the middle) they were both straight lining so I couldn't do anything, I said a couple of choice words and got out.
I'm no pro but im competent, it just frustrates me when we cant all just enjoy it.

I'll take some pics of my boards tomorrow and put the pics up

I think we need to organise a forum surf/body board weekend whos keen?????
Old 28-01-13, 09:51
Van Guru

Hey sidewalkdave,

Had to smile at your tale of the nice peaceful session only to be interupted by the other two guys, happens so often right, why do folk feel the need to do this ?.. ..

Personally in this situation i always paddle out give a nod or a slight wave or even just say hello, then move off a little and wait
Sharing is great for sure, makes for a cracking session whether it be with your mates or with people you just met out back ..

Yeah post ya pics mate defo ..

Forum/surf/bodyboard meat sounds an interesting idea.. North Devon area maybe? May onwards? plenty of notice and weather hopefully nicer for any wives/girlfriends who may not wanna surf? Any area Mods with any views on this??
Old 28-01-13, 10:08
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californication View Post
Random question, you're not called Matt by any slim chance are you???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in