Notices

Old 26-11-13, 21:36
Van Guru
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: Help & Advice (EUROPE ROUTE) to Italy and back.

We went last week of aug and first week sept this year [15 nights]. We aimed if traveling on a day to be on the road by 9-10am and liked to be parked up by 3-4pm.Some times we stopped one night and some times two nights.We went via the paige to Reims down through France towards the Jura alps because i wanted to show the wife a camp site i found in june when i was on a motorbike trip.The first night we stopped at an aire at a place called froncle .[two euros a night.]on the way down to the jura]. From there we went down to the jura alps for a couple of days. From there we went into Switzerland to interlakern and camped lake side.Then we did the Grimselpass and furkapass [Great road and views] and operalppass and across to Austria towards innsbruck.We then headed back towards Germany and the Boden-see.A nice little town on the way back up is Triberg.[lots of clocks]. We crossed back into France around Baden-Baden and then headed towards Bitche to get the dogs passport done.From here we headed towards Verdun.Theres a lot of first world war memorials in this area and its well worth a couple of days visit. Then it was back up country to Cambria to pick up the paige to Calais and home.2000 miles and lots of happy memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26-11-13, 21:46
Van Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brionline View Post
Cheers kayakmartin & toucanspeed.

Really wish I could go "out" of school holiday, but wifes company & Nissan have set dates.

So you think we may struggle if not pre-booked. This kind of puts a downer on the whole idea, and I may need to step back and have a think. The whole idea was to have a basic destination and head off. Don't like the thought of being unable to camp down for the night.... mmmm??????
The wife and I have been going all over Europe (Hungary, Italy,Spain,France,Prague,Germany,holland,Belgium, Austria,) in the school holidays as she's a teacher usually go for about 4weeks if we can. Never booked a camp site only been turned away twice in 6 years the sign may say full but if you ask! Also take as many campsite books as you can. Write to tourist board they are usually over helpful. Enjoy yourself and get lost somewhere special!
Old 27-11-13, 07:41
Lord of the T4s

Thanks guys.

You are putting me back in the frame of mind that I started with.....
i.e. (as foxycustard says) - We want to get lost somewhere special !!!

We want to create a general direction/guide/timescale up front - but have no idea what’s ahead of us... so we would like the flexibility to say "oh we like it here, let’s stop 2 days not 1"...... This not putting us into a rush to get back on track.

I do like the routes and info that people are supplying from their own adventures and journeys made - keep them coming.
I make a note of them, and switch over to google maps to plot your routes and see if I can tread in anyone’s footsteps "as they say".

Old 27-11-13, 19:49
Van Guru

If your goal is Garda in 3 weeks I would sail Portsmouth , Bilbao then have a few days in Spain then sail Barcelona, Livorno . then through Pisa , Florence into Garda then back through Austria, Germany, Belgium and then . home easy as that !!!. Jokng aside, I've done this route and its probably the best holiday we've had . If you want more info reply and ill dig out some more info sites we stayed at etc. good luck and getting lost is the best bit usually!
Old 28-11-13, 07:44
Lord of the T4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxycustard View Post
If your goal is Garda in 3 weeks I would sail Portsmouth , Bilbao then have a few days in Spain then sail Barcelona, Livorno . then through Pisa , Florence into Garda then back through Austria, Germany, Belgium and then . home easy as that !!!. Jokng aside, I've done this route and its probably the best holiday we've had . If you want more info reply and ill dig out some more info sites we stayed at etc. good luck and getting lost is the best bit usually!
Just had a quick look at prices... and double

July 25th 2014 Portsmouth - Bilbao £614 (one way - 2 adults - car)...

Thats without the 2nd ferry and the rest of the holiday.

Sorry mate - I work for Nissan, not own it LOL.

Old 28-11-13, 19:06
Van Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brionline View Post
Just had a quick look at prices... and double

July 25th 2014 Portsmouth - Bilbao £614 (one way - 2 adults - car)...

Thats without the 2nd ferry and the rest of the holiday.

Sorry mate - I work for Nissan, not own it LOL.

No problem, that holiday was pretty pricey we were spending the wife's redundancy money as a matter of interest what sort of budget have you allowed ? We usually work on £100 a day all in (campsites fuel food beer etc) but more often that not overspend .
Old 30-11-13, 14:13
Lord of the T4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxycustard View Post
No problem, that holiday was pretty pricey we were spending the wife's redundancy money as a matter of interest what sort of budget have you allowed ? We usually work on £100 a day all in (campsites fuel food beer etc) but more often that not overspend .
Hi.

I should imagine we will have around £3500. (some more squirreled away on credit card for emergancies)....
BUT - I would like to spend most of what we can on "US" rather than the ferry price

I know we have to take into acount the fuel, camp fee's , food, day to day items, but I have not sat down and tried to calculate a budget yet.

Old 30-11-13, 15:46
Van Jedi

Hi,

we also mirrored Cliffy323's route by going to Reims and following national route down through Epernay(municipal site), onto Avalon and the Morvan national park(great lakes and free lakeside aires), down through Chateau Chinon, Autun(municipal site), then onto lake Annecy and back into the Jura mountains( again great lakes and sites).
On our return towards Reims we ale stopped over at the aire at Froncles, what a find! 2 euros per night, toilets, electric, and great showers(2 euros).
2 books which were really useful are,

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/All-t...edition-4.html

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/Every...ance-2013.html

we didn't pre book any sites as there are loads, and none we went to were full, plus just go were the day takes you

Fronles, 2 euros per night

free lakeside aire in Morvan national park

Lakeside pitch, Annecy, 25-30 euros per night.

Village wild camp in Jura mountains.

lakeside pitch at Clairvaux les lac, Jura mountains, 22 euros per night.

The jura mountains.

The Aires book was great and gave us all the info we needed to be able to explore off the beaten track, and keep off the motorways and see a lot more of the countryside.

Last edited by Wazshaw; 30-11-13 at 15:49.
Old 30-11-13, 16:31
Lord of the T4s

Cheers WAZSHAW for the indepth reply.
A fantastic read, and some real good info

You look as if you had a great time.
Nice looking van by the way.

Regards

Brian.

Old 04-12-13, 14:14
Lord of the T4s

So here we go......

I have started to put my plan into action for next year’s trip. (please remember that I do not have any of the advised books yet, so that route/camp sites are all fluid at this time..). Working purely with google maps, I have cobbled together a rough outline of the holiday route I would like to take.

I now need you seasoned and intrepid explorers to take a look at my plan - rip holes in it, and let me know what changes to make.

I have planned 14 locations. This gives me the flexibility of 7 nights, to stay on extra nights or just go off route a little.
From getting off the ferry - to getting back on the ferry we will be covering roughly 3000miles.

DOES THIS APPEAR DO-ABLE or LAUGHTABLE?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in