Notices

Old 04-05-16, 15:52
Van Jedi

Default Re: Dog breed discrimination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasson View Post
when there are other dogs and kids about who can blame them
You've nailed the whole discussion for me there mate. Not worth the risk.

I've got nothing against any well trained dog or there owners but I've got three young kids and they are infinitely more important to me than any animal on the planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-16, 23:01
Lord of the T4s

People first, dogs second. Dog doesnt respect that, dog loses. Simple.

Though peoples handling and training may be at fault sometimes, a dangerous animal cant be trusted and should be dealt with regardless.

Yes there are dogs that cant help their nature, of any breed, but some particular breeds have prevalent traits thats accepted knowledge. The problem is with pets, especially cats and dogs, people get so blind they cant accept facts.

Try being in places where theres wild and hostile dogs roaming about, see how you feel about it all then
Old 05-05-16, 09:05
Van Guru
Official MemberVW Transporter

Even our soft as putty Lab is an animal and they can revert to that at any time.

She has only ever snarled at us once in 11 years and that was my bad, but I would hate to think that was a child she had done it to or injured.

Old 05-05-16, 15:55
Van Master Jedi

Wow, there's some absolute ignorance, stupidity and snobbery being spouted in this thread, some really disgusting generalisations being made, shameful.

Staffy's can and do get along with any animal, if they've been brought up by a pleb then they'll act accordingly - but that's not down to their breed! As someone else said they're one of the few dogs the kennel club will recommend to parents with young children, fantastic animals with amazing temperaments that just want to get along with everyone and everything, of course there'll be the odd exception to the rule due to the wrong person bringing them up, but the vast vast majority are fantastic dogs, that's not opinion it's fact.

Statistically the most aggressive breed of dog? Dachshunds. Yep, 'slinky dogs', 'sausage dogs' - little lap things. Ban them all.
Old 05-05-16, 17:49
Lord of the T4s
I Support MacmillanRegional CoordinatorOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Old 05-05-16, 19:39
Van Master Jedi

Nice to know at least a few people understand that not all dogs are the same My mums old Yorkshire terrier bit all of my children when they were young it even used to attack my old STB and he just rolled over and let it carry on he could of killed it but he was just happy getting along with another dog
Old 06-05-16, 01:36
Lord of the T4s

Roger A. Caras :

Quote:
Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made.
A dog should know its place, people and children first, dog below that, in any household "pack" the dog should know its place in the order of things. A dog that doesnt know its place and cant be trusted cant be tolerated.

What many people forget including the idiots is a dog is still 99% wolf underneath all the silly breeding.

Personally I would never trust anything from the terrier group fully. When I was a kid we had English Bull Terriers, theyre an absolute nightmare to train and get into their heads their place in things, but properly trained theyre phenomenally defensive of their pack (which can be problematic) and kids they see as their duty to protect. Doesnt stop them being stupid as rocks, wrecking balls on legs, bloody minded and generally a walking nightmare to control and keep in order, especially their instinctive reaction to snap onto sudden movement they think are threats.

Our one wrecked a kitchen because he could see his reflection in the doors. He chewed the leg off the dining table one day because he was bored and got stuck in with their habitual chewing of items. He would run off deliberately and then get lost, my uncles collie was trained find him and fetch him! My father tried to give him away, left him with one couple, half a day later he had to go get him, hed chased them into taking refuge in their kitchen, had ripped all the sofa cusions off into a pile and was basically humping the pile. In the end he was finally successfully given a way to a vet, whereupon he pined! And that was one that was considered to be well trained!
Old 06-05-16, 06:09
Van Jedi

I had a male English Bull Terrier from a rescue, it was a nightmare, chewed my car seat, bed, settee, would not do what it was told, but after time and lots of perseverance it was a well behaved dog, fast forward to now and a few staffies later I've got another English, this time a bitch from a puppy and yes they are daft as a brush but at only 8 months old she is the softest most pleasant dog I've owned, she has been dog and kid socialized from the day we got her home, but all that said I would never think I could let her off the lead in a playground, you have to be a responsible owner, on campsites she is always on a lead if they don't want the breed on there campsite then that's up to them and I'm off to one that does, dogs are dangerous in the wrong hands that includes any breed, not just the bull terrier
Old 06-05-16, 10:53
Van Master Jedi

I had 2 great danes and the amount of i can get is crazy. People are automatically scared due to their size but harley is nervous so doesnt go over to anyone and storm he is friendly as anything. I can understand the shock when people may see them though due to their size.

My mums partner had and bred staffs and all were friendly and absolutely fine with other dogs including the great danes so i totally believe in most cases how a dog acts is down to their owner.

I have just bought these collars for mine so people will hopefully understand them a little more and not be worried when they meet them. These are a great idea IMO

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1715568001...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

you can get all different types.
Old 06-05-16, 21:31
It's all in the details
Official MemberVW Transporter

That really is a great idea.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in