VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Heart Attack

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  thevandidit 
#1 ·
I have to call the insurance company this morning to tell them that I had a heart attack at the weekend.

Do they penalise me, add restrictions or just note it?

#2 ·
At least your still around to worry about insurance T: my brother in law didn't make it :(

#6 ·
No - policy is a couple of momths old.

Hello,

First let me say how sorry I am to hear about the heart attack and wish you a speedy recovery.

On the insurance side, the insurers go by what the doctors say.

If they say you are fine to drive, then we simply note the file and you do not get charged a penny extra.

If you are insured with us, then feel free to call me directly on 01635-879905.

Wish you all the very best in 2017

Dan
A-Plan
01635-879905.
Thanks Dan - the consultant gave me the same info as the NHS web site - 1 week. The Recovery nurse suggested up to 4 and I suspect senior management will insist on that I:

#5 ·
Hello,

First let me say how sorry I am to hear about the heart attack and wish you a speedy recovery.

On the insurance side, the insurers go by what the doctors say.

If they say you are fine to drive, then we simply note the file and you do not get charged a penny extra.

If you are insured with us, then feel free to call me directly on 01635-879905.

Wish you all the very best in 2017

Dan
A-Plan
01635-879905.

#10 ·
Its what's called a material fact and a question that's asked on a proposal form.

If you shop around next year, then make sure you disclose it.

The reason being, if you had another heart attack at the wheel and caused an accident, then obviously previous medical history would be bought up. If its all disclosed then you have covered yourself. T:

All the best

Dan
A-Plan

#11 ·
Wishing you a speedy recovery and dont worry about insurance after i had a heart attack 5 yrs ago DVLA told me a minimum of 6 weeks until i could legaly drive again insurance company said the same but they are not allowed to cancel a policy or impose any restrictions on a policy or charge more for a policy by law.

#12 ·
Ta. Here is what the NHS tell you;

Driving
If you drive a car or motorcycle and you have a heart attack, you don't have to inform the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).
Many people can now return to driving one week after a heart attack, as long you don't have any other condition or complication that would disqualify you from driving.
However, in more severe cases you may need to stop driving for four weeks. Your doctor or rehabilitation team should advise how long you must wait before driving after your heart attack.
If you drive a large goods vehicle or passenger-carrying vehicle, you must inform the DVLA if you have a heart attack.
Your licence will be temporarily suspended, for a minimum of six weeks, until you've adequately recovered.
Your licence will be reissued if you can pass a basic health and fitness test, and don't have any other condition that would disqualify you from driving.

From; http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Heart-attack/Pages/Recovery.aspx

The consultant told me 1 week but I will take 3 or 4 as I don't need to drive anywhere myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.