VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Adrian flux? Insurance

60K views 283 replies 64 participants last post by  drmac 
#1 ·
short story for anyone looking at insurance..

So we have been insured with Adrian Flux for nearly 10 years, thinking our van was covered for every eventuality - fully comp and covered for an amount that would let us replace it should anything happen.

See thread below - our Ex AA, pop top, new engine was smashed to bits by a DPD driver.

So then the story goes.... also this accident was not our fault (police witnesses luckily).

1. our van disappears.
2. 4.5 hours on the phone: we phone Adrian Flux who advise us to use a Insurance Management Company - Slater Gorden (S.G.).
3. they sort us out with a hire car.
4. 2 days later someone phones us from Adrian Flux to ask about the accident, not knowing S.G. were dealing with it.
5. Our van still has our stuff in it - we phone the garage, they say it isn't there so we phone S.G. to find out where it is.
6. Our van is 200 miles away in a salvage yard. - phone the salvage yard to tell them not to break it...
7. We've ben told modifications aren't taken into account in valuations.
8. The salvage yard have taken photos of the van to send to an engineer to value the van.
9. the valuation is expected tomorrow.
10. If we disagree with the valuation we have to give the hire car back (S.G. will probably ask for it back anyway).

Just a heads up for everyone to expect major stress if you are ever in any type of accident!

I'll update on our valuation tomorrow......

:(

See less See more
#2 ·
Sue the person who was at fault in the small claims court and demand to be put back into the same position as you were before the accident IE Your van repaired or an equivalent van supplied to you. Sue the insurance company as well if they break your van without permission, they don't own it until you agree a settlement figure.

These accident management firms can be a scam, they put you in an expensive hire car and then when the insurance company says that you were partially at fault, you get the bill for the car hire. http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/keywords/?word=accident+management

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/blameless-crashes/

Ask Honest John, honestly, he will answer your email within a couple of hours.

letters@honestjohn.co.uk

#3 ·
Hi,
If you wanted to PM me your details I'd be happy to take a look into this for you.
With regards to any disclosed modifications on the vehicles these should be taken into consideration on a total loss valuation. I don't know why you would have be advised otherwise.
Regards,
Dan.

#4 ·
So pre accident apparently our van was with £3264.50

And I will be able to replace a 2003, 170k, ex Aa, pop top with a new engine for that amount in my local area....

I WOULD BE OVERJOYED IF SOMEONE COULD REPLACE IT FOR THAT, AND I WOULD EAT MY HAT.

Now Slater Gordon have told us to speak to Adrian Flux to sort it out. Spoke to Adrian Flux who tried to speak to Slater Gordon, but slater Gordon won't talk to Adrian flux WTF?

So now we have a weekend of angst until Monday when Tom from Adrian Flux kindly speaks to his managers to try and work out a way to get the valuation increased....

And it wasn't our fault.....

Hopefully people might pick up some advice from what we are going through

:confused:

#6 ·
Adrian flux advertise on this site but there seems to be a bit of negative about how they deal with claims
so before I get a quote from them has anyone had a good experience from a claim with them

also if they want the business they have to take the flak or sort problems out

"It's only the grey that matters"

#8 ·
Update... In case anyone is interested....Adrian flux have had an internal meeting and spoken to slater Gordon the management company. The engineers are going to give us another valuation. In the mean time I've spent a day and a half on the phone and organising documents to capture the specs of our van, what was in our van and a whole load of similar vans on he market on the moment. I have also scanned in a load of receipts, some from 10 years ago and sent these to Adrian flux and the management company... Covering our butts I hope.

I'll fill in as soon as we have any progress from our initial £3250 valuation.....

:ILU:

#9 ·
Re: Adrian flux? Insurance - A TIME LINE OF A CLAIM

So next update.... FOR ANYONE WHO MIGHT EVER BE IN A CRASH.

Phone call from Slater Gordon yesterday, increased the valuation to £7k. This is broken down to £5.2k settlement and £1.8k for the salvage.

I was advised that is it common practice for the first offer to be a joke - and some people unwittingly take this so for the valuers and 3rd party it is worth a try.

Surely this is incredibly sharp practice, if not THEFT? - Imagine my granny who has no idea how much her pimped T4 is worth just accepted the first offer... C'MON INSURERS SORT YOUR SH*T OUT!!!!! NOT FAIR!!

So can I replace my van for £7k - no way.

So Slater Gordon told me to speak to Adrian Flux.

Spoke to Adrian Flux and they said they would now follow up with 3rd party insurers (Aviva).

I also made sure to ask about the hire car Slater Gordon have given us.

AF advise to phone Slater Gordon Back and ask about it.

Phoned Slater Gordon back - as i didn't accept the valuation, I need to give the car back apparently - otherwise I am liable for the £200 a day rental!!!!

Back it goes, dog hairs and all.

SO back to square one.

Adrian Flux now dealing with Aviva, 4 weeks later.

We still aren't near a resolution, are a car down, loads of time (spent hours researching and providing proof of value as well as the phone calls and e-mails) and pretty stressed.

We had a vanning trip to France planned for May - this is now looking unlikely.

I have my teeth gritted for the next instalment. Even if I do eventually get a decent settlement I then have to find a van and get it to the same state as our old one..... AAAARRRRGGGHHH

#10 ·
So all the research I did wasn't sent last week - it was only sent through this morning.

Apparently it has been sent back to Slater Gordon, not Aviva to try and increase the value again.

No calls, no communications.

another session on the phone to Adrian Flux - Max, Lawrence, Tom, Dan, Adam and a manager....

Our van is still in a breakers with all our personal stuff in it.

Apparently if we dispute the valuation next time we have to do an independent engineers report that will cost us £200 and try and get someone to accept it...

in the mean while we are juggling 2 kids, jobs etc with one car which is a nightmare.

waiting for a manager to call back....

C"MON you cnuts - sort it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#11 ·
todays instalment......

....40 minutes trying to return a missed call to Katie from Adrian Flux, kept getting diverted by the auto call system to Slater Gordon. Also diverted by AF customer services to Slater Gordon - each time with 10 minutes on hold.

Got through to Slater Gordon, no records of Katie, Really? let me check.... 5 minutes later.... ah yes she only works one day a week at Adrian Flux so you'll have to leave a message... she phoned me an hour ago.... Oh..... I'll transfer you to AF. AF send me back to claims department at Slater Gordon.... arrrggghhhh...

Finally got hold of Katie...

Adrian Flux are only a BROKERS.

If we want our insurance company to deal with the claim we have to go to Aegis....

.... WTF? .... I THOUGHT YOU WERE OUR INSURANCE COMPANY???? No we are the brokers.... you will have to cancel everything you have done so far and start another claim via Aegis - we can't help with that...

SO WHAT THE F DO ADRIAN FLUX ACTUALLY DO???????????????? WE HAVE PAID FOR FULLY COMP INSURANCE WITH THEM FOR YEARS!!!! AND NOW WE NEED SOMETHING BACK THROUGH A SIMPLE NO FAULT ACCIDENT THE BUCK IS BEING PASSED AROUND.

(SORRY DAN - NOT YOUR DEPARTMENT)

So now we are waiting for our third valuation from the other engineers. If it comes in low we need to go to court to try and get our money back...

At the moment we are planning the court approach (15k might be too much for the small claims court?), we are putting in an official complaint to the ombudsman about professionalism and sharp practice... we are also taking to DPD who caused the accident to see if they have any sympathy - one of the top 10 companies in the country.... watch this space....

Oh yeah, and I'm waiting for another call from Slater Gordon tonight for something (just spent another 15 mins on hold and talking to a new person to try and return a call only to find that their night manager is busy and will try and call back in the next hour)...

Hopefully a good update soon....

#12 ·
Ha - no chance !!

So spoke to ULR who Adrian Flux put us onto.

Slater Gordon won't increase the valuation from £5469.88 plus our van back or that they will give us £1880 for.

That is 79 phone calls, 27.5 solid hours on the phone, 3 days research work, 6 different organisations, 24 different people, loads of hassle, 1 hire car.

MY ADVICE TO DATE - DON'T TOUCH ADRIAN FLUX, SLATER GORDON OR ULR WITH A BARGE POLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Summary:

Can ANYONE replace this for 5.5k?:

Fully Comp 10+ years no claims (actually 23 years)
T4
2.5 TDI 102 bhp
170k miles (30 on new engine)
5 seats
Reims Pop top and bespoke bed
New Engine
Tow Bar
Steel exhaust
Audi 5 spoke satin black alloys
Full maintained
Very little rust

:(

#13 ·
So our options now are...

1. get our van back from Bristol to Cornwall (taken to Bristol without our consent).
2. get an estimate for it to be prepared or replaced from our local garage.
3. talk to DPD who caused the accident and look at taking them to court to retrieve a replacement.
4. complain to the Financial Services Onbudsman about all 6 organisations we have been associated with.

I REALLY HOPE PEOPLE ARE TAKING SOMETHING FROM OUR PAIN!

I'LL UPDATE AS I MOVE ON :ILU:

#14 ·
Honest John contributors have suggested that we look into the legal cover on our van and home insurance policies. Then look into small claims only for the difference - £5k.

Only this afternoon Adrian Flux Customer Relations have promised to push further to see what we can get - not holding our breath, but really glad they are at least involved now.

My wife has been in touch with DPD one of who's drivers caused the accident. They have been chasing things too and apparently Aviva - who their insurance is with - have opened a case but have not had any infomration regarding valuations and requests. I fear there might be some skullduggery of the highest order at play.... by ULR and Slater Gordon all rinsing an accident for cash....

:eek:

#20 ·
Same here, mine is up for renewal next week, there will be one less company on my enquiry list after reading all of this.

Good luck Drmac, your doing the right thing keeping on at them to do the honourable thing and i truly hope they get their backsides into gear and sort you out properly. Its bad enough having your motor smashed up but then putting up with such pants treatment is extracting the urine.

Im liking Yellows idea about the legal cover too, defiantly worth pursuing.

#23 ·
Thanks a load Bryanm, Yellow, Rexy - really appreciate the interest and support, it means loads!

Yesterdays update:

Phoned ULR (Adrian Flux claims handlers) in the morning they advised to get our own valuation done with our own experts - so we asked for the van to be brought back down to Cornwall and our good chums at VW Connections. This isn't going to cost us anything and they said they would call back later in the day and let us know when our van would be back - no call was made.... so we need to chase on Monday.

Then about an hour later we had a call from Slater Gordon the 'managers' asking if we gave our permission for the van to be moved - so I obviously agreed to the move as we never asked for it to be taken to Bristol in the first place.

So we have to pay £240 for our own valuation, which we can claim back if it is more than theirs

THEN CHECK THIS HOWLER...

I had a call from TECREPORTS - the valuers. They said "just calling to talk about your valuation because we have been told your van had some modifications"????????? I asked - "have you not had the list of mods and comparable vehicles that we sent on the 1st March?" and they had not been sent them by SLATER GORDON.... WTF - these guys had assured me twice that it had been sent to all relevant parties!!

? I asked if their 'engineer' valuer had actually seen the van for the second valuation and they said - Yes - he noted that it had some "accessories"........

So I sent an e-mail to everyone involved with a list of modifications, scans of reciepts for all the work done (some 10 years old), comparable vans on the market at the moment....

It feels like we are getting somewhere - unfortunately for DAN he's the forum face of this debacle.

I'm hoping to be able to post some positive stuff about people before too long!

I:

#24 ·
Feel your pain. Had a similar experience after my M3 got written off, massively messed around due to the 'market value' that they applied to it. Got it sorted eventually, but very stressful and I had a broken M3 filling my garage for 6 months and had to buy another car so I had something to run around in.

#26 ·
I will still be using Adrian Flux ! Dan has always been helpful and approachable he cannot be held accountable or used as a scape goat for his companies behaviour !
I would also add Adriab Flux are agents and it's the insurance underwriter who could be at fault so many will say they will go with another agent only to be underwritten by the same company this poor chap is having grief with !

Good luck I am sure you will get what you are entitled to in the end !

#27 ·
Nice one MJMX3 I reckon you are spot on. I'm sure Dan is the man - as soon as he sees something he acts.

Unfortunately for us - and possibly anyone else with Adrian Flux, or any other broker as you point out.... as soon as you start a claim (which Dan isn't involved with) the buck gets passed around until you are at the end of your tether. My wife made the mistake of taking on a claims management company on recommendation of Adrian Flux (one of the persuasions was the fact we got a courtesy car to get us out of a very difficult spot).

I think their unwritten plan is to grind you down with calls, smoke and mirrors until you accept a basic offer, then, along with a few other company's and salvage businesses, rinse as much as possible out of everyone.

Adrian Flux management (not Dan) also advised that if we were to stop using the management company and try and get a better valuation going through 'our' insurance company (Aegis - who Adrian Flux insure us with) - we were unlikely to increase the valuation.

I suppose our beef is pretty basic - we had full comp insurance with a recommended 'company'.... had a no fault accident and all of a sudden we are in the sh*t.

Hopefully this dialogue might help enlighten some other people in a way we were lacking.

Make sure you cover yer ar*e

:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.