VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Euro trip begins...

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Californication 
#1 ·
Now on the ferry to Santander.
Must have been at least ten Calis on boards; one a T6 (150 FWD). Stacks of other VW vans too.
Very pleasant on board.

Here's the queue.

See less See more
#5 ·
That looks like a fantastic trip in the making Mr Fornication T: kind of reminds me when I left the 'Rock' ( Jersey ) ! :D

It's obvious to me that the T4 and T5 buses are the vehicles to get when travelling, no doubt there would of been a lot of admiring glances at your new bus, and a lot of wishful onlookers from people in cars !

A 1,200 km drive ! :eek: should be fun .......... when you're nearing Limoges you could always swing by my place and we could have a coffee ......... as I'm off the beer again ! I: :(

Have fun mate and don't forget the piccies :D

TURK

#8 ·
Back now - what an AWESOME trip! Amazing weather, great waves in Pantin, Nemina, Portugal and the heavenly Rodiles, lots of running by the coast and in/up mountains great food, great times.

The van was superb - only a persistently rattling awning caused any annoyance. The 204 engine really does pull well.

Will add pics when I get the chance.

#9 ·
We need some pics buddy, asap T:
I'm just packing, shortly heading down to the port and onwards to Biscarrosse. Biggest test yet with our 8 month old. The difference between the old days with just two of us and now the little one and the mountain of stuff we need purely him.
Van is eating it up though:ILU:

#10 ·
Pantin, Galicia - had two days of great waves here (this wasn't one of them). Full on free camping.

A damned cool T25 parked next to us (no one else) - Subaru 2.5 engine transplant (same as our Outback), proper wheels and tyres, etc.

Rodiles - this photo (not me) doesn't do it justice. It was PERFECT. I don't favour left (my backhand) but it was so good, I could get away with almost anything. But by 9am it was busy with very very good local surfers. But I had over an hour of utter perfection.

Cloudy when we arrived but a 4WD only spot right on the edge of a cliff - again it was full on free camping. This was Viciosa on the North Coast near Aviles.

Whizzed into the mountains in Somiedo for a few days - heard a brown bear, saw a Golden Eagle and three EPIC thunderstorms. This was the nicest campsite we stayed at.

Nemina on the West coast - this was sort of "part free camping" - 5 euros a night for a pitch - had a loo (not locked overnight as many were), a hose and an outdoor shower. That was good enough for us! Stayed here 6 nights. Slightly variable surf as the banks were a bit odd but the last day was pretty amazing. Very fast, hard to make the drop but super hollow.

#11 ·
Glad you all had a good time,
I always liked driving through France and had some good times their
as for the t25 or as I have been told the t3 this has always been my favorite transporter, as I used to drive a pick up years ago and always liked it

good to have you back
"
"It's only the love that matters "

#12 ·
Looks awesome. Glad I'm booked for next year already.
It's a right PITA sticking boards on the roof, i usually keep mine inside the van at home. But things have changed and I need the space inside now. The poptop adds just a bit more height and makes it a struggle to get boards up there and tied down. I'm guessing you have the same problem with two little ones and kit to carry...?

The view here in France last night was perfect

#13 ·
Oooh lovely!
Yep boards on roof is a PITA but there's no room for the foamie inside. My 5'10" would fit in okay but it would still be in the way.
I'll take the roof bars off soon and probably not use them until next year! Height is sub 2.0m without boards so it's not too high but with boards on, probably another foot higher. Getting them on and off in high winds is really hard; in light winds, it's not too bad. At home I just run from home to the surf.

TBH we almost got the kit right - but didn't use our pop up tent and hardly used our outdoor cooker. Our gas ran out two days before the end (we carry a spare tank) which wasn't bad - it had been used plenty before we went.

#15 ·
The foamie is 8ft so no choice there however the missus does ride it pretty well...

She has a decent 7'6" but just prefers the foamie - however it now has three deep creases in it...

TBH the van had more than enough space for us all - we seem to pack lighter each time we go.

Surf firing here today (and yesterday)!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.