Notices

Old 15-06-17, 20:53
Van Rookie

Default Advice on air awnings please?

Please could anyone give me some advice on the best type of campervan inflatable awning for my Vw T5?
I am a new owner so I would be grateful for any advice.
I would like it to sleep 4 people, have a sewn in groundsheet and the awning to run along the side of the van.
Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-06-17, 14:36
Lord of the T4s

Default Re: Advice on air awnings please?

Might be worth posting in the camping section - this is the show sub-forum and as such might be missed by people who can give you some decent advice.
Old 20-06-17, 16:19
Team Silver
Official MemberVW Transporter

Thumbs up Re: Advice on air awnings please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl30 View Post
Please could anyone give me some advice on the best type of campervan inflatable awning for my Vw T5?
I am a new owner so I would be grateful for any advice.
I would like it to sleep 4 people, have a sewn in groundsheet and the awning to run along the side of the van.
Many thanks

Spent the porverbial 'ages' looking at this and it came down to 2 for us - the Vango Galli and the Outdoor Revolution Movelite series. There is certainly a price differential in the new models and although the Vango is cheaper, we have had experience of their quality in the past (particularly their zips and materials) and have not been impressed with them - and also the movelite didn't need to come in a separate (Low/Midi/High) configuration and had what seemed to be a taller shape - but could we justify spending more for the Movelite?

In the end we decided on the Movelite Kombi (2016 Version) as we found a deal on it from a dealer which put it in the same price range as the Vango and the only difference to this years model seemed to be a heavier new material and colourway changes.

We also liked that the Kombi has the 4 person sleeping pod included and if experience with camping gear has taught us anything, if it's designed to go with it and its not included, you can bet your aunt that a replacement will fit badly, or be an expensive add-on or incredibly elusive to get...

Clearly, it's new to us and we just got back from our first weekend away with it and we are very happy with it (it got 4.5 out 5 from the wife) so here's a quick snapshot of our experiences and thoughts so far

Positives

Size - the footprint is 620x310 - which without the pod it's almost 200sqft!!!

Height is staggeringly good - so much headroom for our larger guests

Simple inflation points and rapid inflation

very easy to understand instructions included

Deflation also likewise brilliant and rapid

Went back into the bag with no problems - fold end-lengths together and meet in the middle - then tri-fold into one and roll lengthways toward the main door -dont forget to sit on it every rotation to remove air from the tubes

tinted windows - including the one in the roof

curtains which roll top-down, which we thought a nice touch

Almost fully opening rear flaps window - greatly improves circulation on those hot days

Materials and zips are top notch - quality items in look feel and operation - everything just works

Negatives

Be prepared for the size and weight - you are ordering an awning which you could actually park your van inside (if the front door was wider...) and the actual size in the bag is 86x50x46 (LxWxH in cm's) so packing around it to travel is interesting if you can't move your seat configuration about for space..

Despite exhaustive searches on the subject, no-one mentions anywhere how best to align your awning when parking your vehicle for this or most models (which given we were on a slight slope and were required to use our chocks became a bit of an issue!) FOR SWB REFERENCE, we found that the front of the awning will sit plum to the centre of your front wheel - this allows the awning part to attach correctly and give you the right clearance for the sliding door

Inflation - valve head is specific to Outdoor Revolution - if you don't have the right adapter for your own electric version it can be tiring to inflate manually in the heat..

The only door which has the ability to flatten the entrance is the side one - we would also have liked this option for the awning entrance (as my 3 year old would jump out of the van and then pitch straight over it head first )

Condensation on the inside of the awning attachment - as it is attached over the skin of the roof to the centre - this condensation can take a while to dissipate - which is a pain if you want to decamp early in the day

Zero extra storage - nothing anywhere except the obligatory keys-pocket... a pain if you just want to put torches or keys somewhere accessible and in reach for all

Overall we thought it was brilliant piece of kit and worth the money - going for a few days or a couple of weeks and want substantial comfort and space for 4 people? It fits the bill
if you are going for an overnight, well perhaps something slightly smaller which offers smaller space or sleeping arrangement will be better suited as this is overkill for 1 night or for just 2 people...

He whom looks not forwards goes backwards.. Alterations as we go...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.

Log-in