VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

T5 lwb with pop top Dimensions For Ferry Purposes

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  DubDubDeBerniere 
#1 ·
How accurate do these need to be?
Does it affect the price much?
I always think our camper is 5m long but it's 5.2m. I was wondering if we could save a few quid here or there. We normally use the channel tunnel where it doesn't make too much difference to cost.

#4 ·
Our T5.1 was / T6 is 4892mm so no problem there. On the other hand we are pushing it for 1850mm height limit but we do and no one says anything. A few years ago the lady at Transmanche told me to book as a car.

#5 ·
The issue of height isn't usually a problem...if the log book classes you as a motorcaravan then you'll usually be put in a lane for high vehicles, with all the Big White Boxes...so the pop top height doesn't matter. If the screen just shows your reg as a van then you might not be.

#7 ·
I have asked at the check in booths re height......and the answer is they know the height from your registration when booking.
Failing that the ANPR cameras pick up the reg as you travel through the docks to the booths.

Not a easy one to get away with especially when they try and pack you in on one of the low height decks:eek:

#8 ·
Not a easy one to get away with especially when they try and pack you in on one of the low height decks:eek:
Never had that problem with Trans Manche that we use regularly and didn't on Hirtshals / Kristiansand - they do tend to look at the van before they decide which lane to put it in and even though we go on with car type dimensions they put is in the queue for a tall deck.

#9 ·
I got robbed blind by P&O for booking as a van up to 6m. Cost me £200. Could have got in a camper van for £79

Got ferry booked for isle of Man TT next year. I pre booked as a 5.0 camper before I bought a LWB. I won't be changing the booking.

#11 ·
Last August DFDS put me in a queue which then boarded up a ramp which then led left up a "tunnel" entrance to the car deck and right to the deck with trucks and vans. I just stopped at his fork and refused to follow the other cars where there clearly was not enough height for my LWB with pop top. They soon moved the cones and waved me right so the rest of the cars could board - the queue was stopped and quite long by then! No comments nor questions asked! I had booked as a large car and nobody said a word.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.