Notices

Old 20-10-16, 16:01
Van Man

Default Re: T4 Westfalia California Exclusive

Safeguard insurance. I've been with these for most of the 14 years I've had my beloved bus. I remember reading something in the small print a while ago about them not covering vehicles over 20 years old for breakdown. I called them and they confirmed that this is the case. Mine's May 1996, so I asked if I was covered for travel this summer. The reply was that as it was under 20 years old at the time I took out the policy (December 2015) it would be covered until the end of the policy term, but not beyond.

So, new insurer/breakdown cover needed! I fell out with Saga a while back, so they're out of the equation. Anyone got any good recommendations, or ones to avoid? I travel in Europe a lot, so that cover is essential. Is it best to have combined insurance/breakdown, or can they be done separately?

I'd definitely be up for meeting some of you guys - I guess we're looking at next spring/summer now?

Cheers
John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-10-16, 09:18
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

Thanks for the info on the chap in Germany...yeah bit far for me mate But good to know if he gets another problem that stumps everyone else !

Gone Big on the Self Build....LWB LT35 Big....
Old 22-10-16, 21:58
Van Guru

Re: Age limits on breakdown insurance:

I had this problem this year. Many breakdown policies exclude vehicles over 15 years old.

I took out a cheap (ie basic) policy with the RAC but specifically branded as a Camping and Caravan Club product, which doesn't have an age restriction.

As it happens, I've taken my insurance back to them this year.

Old 25-10-16, 18:47
Van Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingcampervanman View Post
So, new insurer/breakdown cover needed! I fell out with Saga a while back, so they're out of the equation. Anyone got any good recommendations, or ones to avoid? I travel in Europe a lot, so that cover is essential. Is it best to have combined insurance/breakdown, or can they be done separately
My breakdown is with Footman James, which is a rebadged version of Axa breakdown, but specifically covers over 20 year old classics which the Axa version doesn't.

Insurance is with Adrian Flux, but I later found their breakdown cover has to be bought with the policy. At the time I was prepared to take the risk of a UK breakdown, but with a French trip planned later I took the FJ cover with Europe cover.

Can't recommend as - so far - nothing has gone wrong.
Old 04-11-16, 19:07
Van Rookie

So: Solar panels.

Thinking of getting one installed. The idea is to allow staying off grid for trips and help keeping the battery topped up over the winter months (I know, won't keep it 100% but every bit helps.

Looking back in the thread there's been some folk who've considered the same. Even some who went for it. So what's the experience been? Did it work out as expected? Glad you did it or any regrets?

I've already been quoted £500 for a 100W flexi panel installed. I reckon it's £200 for the panel and controller, so £300 seems a bit steep for installation. Are my instincts right of just a cheapskate?

Cheers.
Old 09-11-16, 13:18
Van Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie_ View Post
So: Solar panels.

Thinking of getting one installed. The idea is to allow staying off grid for trips and help keeping the battery topped up over the winter months (I know, won't keep it 100% but every bit helps.

Looking back in the thread there's been some folk who've considered the same. Even some who went for it. So what's the experience been? Did it work out as expected? Glad you did it or any regrets?

I've already been quoted £500 for a 100W flexi panel installed. I reckon it's £200 for the panel and controller, so £300 seems a bit steep for installation. Are my instincts right of just a cheapskate?

Cheers.
Does seem a bit steep. It's half a days' work.

Biggest decision is whether to go for a rigid panel and fit it in the 'slot' that seems to have been designed for a panel, or go with a flexi on the main roof.
Using a rigid and fitting it is the slot seems to limit you to less than 80w. You can remove the high level brake light to maximise the space, but not sure if your insurers would allow that. You can get more power from a bigger flex panel .

I'm happy with mine but it far from makes you self sufficient for an extended stay. I think you'd need 150w or more to do that. I personally wouldn't glue a flexi panel to my roof, so my smaller panel (60? from memory) is the best I could do at the time. Maybe today's panels pack more panel from each sq metre?
Old 12-12-16, 13:29
Van Expert

Hi all. Any suggestions for water tank pump blowing fuses?

I had the battery charger burn out in the summer, so fitted a Fraron. I ended re-routing new cables to the battery so disconnected everything at the leisure battery.

It could be a coincidence but everything is working ok except the water pump (nothing on taps or toilet). Checked the fuse and it was blown so thought it may have been related to the charger burning out so just replaced like for like. Fuse blew straight away. The fuse fitted was 7.5A, but looking at the manual it should be 3A. Everything was working OK prior to the charger going. Seems strange the wrong fuse has been fitted but I guess the pump could be at fault?

Any suggestions?
Old 09-01-17, 20:15
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw_man View Post
Where is it located? Behind the couch, by the battery?
When you say to give it a good clean, you mean to submerge it in the solvent?
Thanks guys you have been a great help.
I got the unit out and cleaned it all down. It didnt need much major cleaning but it was full of dust and fluff which wouldnt be good for it in the long run. It all got a good soapy clean down too. The fridge is now working again after a nifty re-gas. Saved me a fortune becuase getting a new one into Norway wasn't going to be cheap!
Old 13-01-17, 19:09
Van Master Jedi

T4 Post Icon Re: T4 Westfalia California Exclusive

Has anyone got a Zölzer roof rack system?

http://www.zoelzer.de/content.php?Pr...auptrubrik=253
Old 16-01-17, 20:00
Van Master Jedi

Your google-fu must be strong ! I searched high and low for something just like that when I had my Cali Exec !!! Never came across that site.

Gone Big on the Self Build....LWB LT35 Big....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in