Old 10-03-11, 20:31
Van Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

T4 Post Icon More wing mirror wiring problems

My LH elec mirror has not worked nut my RH one worked in 2 directions only.
I disassembled and reassembled the RH door mirror control switch (did continuity checks) and then repaired 4 wires which had broken in the rh door boot. (Blue/grey, blue (thicker), blue/red, grey blue) - I used new 5cm sections and soldered in and heat shrink wrapped. Pretty neat I thought. After trying out - got no response. fuse 14 (10A) had blown. Thought I'd done this during my repair so borrowed fuse 15 - blew too. (this time while the windows were partially down!) borrowed the cig light fuse to get the windows up. It was dark o'clock and fuse shops closed so I stopped.

Anyone have a clear resolution diagram so I can try and understand the snag a bit better?

Second question is whether it is easier to take out the door card, access the end of the fuse box end of the loom and replace the the cable job lot? Any advice welcome.

P.S the heater has never worked on the lh side mirror only on the RH. Confused. Have not tried using the heater feature yet, fuse 14 popped when I tried to adjust the mirrors. (2003 special 2.5tdi)
Old 10-03-11, 21:20
Van Man

Default Re: More wing mirror wiring problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRock View Post
My LH elec mirror has not worked nut my RH one worked in 2 directions only.
I disassembled and reassembled the RH door mirror control switch (did continuity checks) and then repaired 4 wires which had broken in the rh door boot. (Blue/grey, blue (thicker), blue/red, grey blue) - I used new 5cm sections and soldered in and heat shrink wrapped. Pretty neat I thought. After trying out - got no response. fuse 14 (10A) had blown. Thought I'd done this during my repair so borrowed fuse 15 - blew too. (this time while the windows were partially down!) borrowed the cig light fuse to get the windows up. It was dark o'clock and fuse shops closed so I stopped.

Anyone have a clear resolution diagram so I can try and understand the snag a bit better?

Second question is whether it is easier to take out the door card, access the end of the fuse box end of the loom and replace the the cable job lot? Any advice welcome.

P.S the heater has never worked on the lh side mirror only on the RH. Confused. Have not tried using the heater feature yet, fuse 14 popped when I tried to adjust the mirrors. (2003 special 2.5tdi)
try this www.wagenstad.com
Old 15-03-11, 20:09
Van Jedi

http://www.vwbooks.co.uk/vw_info/T4_...ic_Mirrors.pdf

is an old thread posted link for those wanting a clear wiring diagram
Old 17-03-11, 21:09
Van Jedi

Okay have now got good driver side adjustment but only when left mirror adjustment is unplugged in pax door. If I connect the lh side, I start popping the fuses (S14) - I did try upping the rating to 15A from the 10A and burnt out a track on the switch.

Now repaired so:

With the pax side connector disconnected and LH selected on the drivers adjustment switch, the Drivers side mirror still clicks as if its powered but does not move. It's like something is being energised but has no power to move - there should not be any power on the driver's mirror with LH selected.

When I previously check the LH mirror adjustment, Left and Right worked but up and down were left and right too - no up and down movement. Voltages at each mirror adjustment plug were comparable and seemed ok.

Stumped so any ideas welcome.