Old 19-04-11, 09:15
Van Jedi

Default CAT C VIC Check required?

just after some advise / opinions

just bought a cheap audi a4 for the wife as a run around circa 1k

got it home and realised on the hpi check i hadnt noticed it was cat c :-( idiot!

anyway after thinking about it im not too bothered as the car is in good condition and drives well no obvious evidence of a smack

however im really confused on the vic business.

the guy i bought it from said he had no idea it was cat c and I do believe him.

the V5 he has is old however pre accident, but he has taxed the vehicle recently and been down to DVLA to change the registration class as it was previously registered as disabled tax.

looking at the DVLA site it says VIC check required - but how could he have a) taxed it and b) gone to the DVLA to change taxation class which will re-issue the V5 without someone flagging up the VIC?

Anyone got any experience / ideas on this?

i'm stressing now that ive bought a car thats gonna be taken off me because its a ringer or something? :-(

someone please help me put my mind at rest! :-)
Old 19-04-11, 10:00
Van Master Jedi

Default Re: CAT C VIC Check required?

No probs, get on the vosa site and its possible to book a test, 40 odd and you can book or see what station is near to you, main thing they check is chassis no, it can be listed on bottom of regd doc front page, cat c comes down to you how you feel about it, and at 1000 keep it and throw it away when its done with, can you talk to the seller and mention it to him ? My van is cat c and had to have new mot and i will have to have VIC Vehicle Identity Check at some point
Old 19-04-11, 10:55
Van Jedi
Help For Heroes

as above, but commercial vehicles that are cat c currently don't need a vic check unless its otherwise stipulated. my van itself is a cat c and i bought it from salvage with only vandal damage. I've seen very badly damaged cars go cat d and very little damaged go cat c, it all depends on the assessor really and how good the repair is. so worry not fella but its best to get the car checked out as required.

a mate of mine a couple of years back sold a fiesta that was a cat c but he didn't know it had been damaged in the past. and when he sold it the new owner was initially happy for 4 months until it went for mot and found it was bent. the new owner successfully sued him for their money back plus a small amount of compensation and got to keep the car.

so even if it is a plonker you still have rights fella.

good luck!
Old 19-04-11, 11:01
Van Jedi

Yeah i did phone him and he was oblivious to the cat c which i do believe.

He also said he was confident he would get the V5.

It was cat c 15mar 2010 and currently has MOT til feb2012 and tax until sep 2011 so its been MOT'd and tax'd since going cat c.

So im hopefully there is nothing sinister with it - is it easy still to ring modernish vehicles? can you change the chassis number on the dash easily?

thanks for the comments guys, makes me feel a bit less stressed! :-)
Old 19-04-11, 11:07
Van Jedi
Help For Heroes

its a lot harder to ring cars nowadays especially audi's anyway because they're tagged all over. how long did this guy own it for? and how has he taxed it without the logbook? because if you don't have the tax reminder you have to provide the logbook with your insurance and mot certs in order to tax the vehicle. any chance you can trace the previous owner to the guy you bought it off and get some info?
Old 19-04-11, 11:17
Van Jedi

I think this is half the problem, the guy only "owned" the car for about 4 weeks as a stop gap whilst his main car was being fixed.

He taxed it with the new owners part on the V5. Since then he has been down to the DVLA to change the log book from disabled taxation class to normal and is now awaiting the logbook to come back in his name i guess with the class change and he will then be forwarding that to me. Thats what he said anyway :-)

I could probably trace the previous owner as there is quite a bit of history with it, so thats not a bad idea.

my biggest worry really is more that its not legit and it'll be take off me, if its just paperwork and vic checks im not to worried.
Old 19-04-11, 11:43
Serial Poster
I Support CLIC Sargent

Ring dvla they can be really helpful. explain the situation. see what they suggest
Old 19-04-11, 12:05
Van Jedi

How are you doing for insurance for it? I looked a t a cat c once and couldn't get a quote that made buying it worthwhile.
Old 19-04-11, 12:34
Van Jedi
Help For Heroes

if the logbook arrives then i think there is less to worry about because i had to pay 25 to the dvla for my logbook as it was an insurance write off and had to get an engineers report in order to insure it. my advice is trace the original owner and find out the accident history and book it in for a vic check. did you get a reciept from this guy? if it is a plonker he's just as liable and where did he buy it from? you need to find this out if you can and the pieces will come together!!
Old 19-04-11, 14:12
Serial Poster
I Support CLIC Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonmanx View Post
the guy only "owned" the car for about 4 weeks as a stop gap whilst his main car was being fixed.
yeah of course he did lol