Old 04-05-11, 22:48
Van Pro

T5 Post Icon dual mass flywheel

Hi,
as some of you may know i am currently looking for a t5 (finally decided on a 1.9tdi) but i have another concern that i seem to be seeing problems with.....The DMF.
At the moment i am looking at a couple of vans 58reg (2009) 1.9 (one with 15k one with 36k) would these have the dual mass flywheel? is there a perticular milage that they commonly go? i have read somewhere that they can cost in the region of 1.5-2k to fix, is this right?

Failing the above, i have seen a 2007 1.9 with only 10k on the clock, would this also have the dmf?

also while im at it, do all the 1.9s have traction control/asr? just wondering as one guy has to very similar vans listed but only one states traction control!

thanks in advance for any help

jon
Old 04-05-11, 22:50
Van Jedi

Default Re: dual mass flywheel

dmf's are common these days, you are looking at about 600 ish to have it done at a decent place.
Old 05-05-11, 06:42
Serial Poster
Official MemberVW Transporter

Just get on an by a van, if something goes wrong, fix it. Mines got over 120K on the original DMF and it's fine, I was dead worried about buying a T5 at the start, then I started reading about all the scare stories about Vivaros', Vito's, Transit's, don't always believe what you read on the internet...

Quality Kitchen & Bathroom Installations PM me for details.
Old 05-05-11, 14:26
Van Guru

All T5s have a DMF and most of them never have any problems (mine is on 100k or so on original flywheel).

Just listen for a nasty rattle on idle, or a clutch slip/judder when pulling away (especially obvious when reversing up hill). If those warning signs aren't there then get stuck in.

Replacement cost should be under a grand fitted.
Old 14-05-11, 18:18
Van Rookie

Hi All,

I've owned a t5 now for 3 months. its a 55 plate 102ps 1.9tdi done 119,000 miles and I think I have the dreaded DUAL MASS CANCER but the rumble I'm getting is a constant noise and I'm sure I notice it after warm up ( say when engine is at 70 degrees).

Originally thinking I had some well worn wheel bearings I jacked it up and theres no vertical play on the wheel. I jacked up the whole front end and started and ran it to hear a rubbing noise (pulsing)

The van actually drives fine and clutch is great, no differculty changing gear just a drone noise when moving along above 30mph or so.

I've just come from 5 years of type 25 fun and games and decided to spend my time out of teh tool box by buying a t5. hmmm

does this sound familiar to anyone?
Old 15-05-11, 07:19
<-thats my old van
Help For HeroesI Support Cancer Research UKOfficial MemberVW Transporter

after much research

many vans have no trouble

however some do- seems more common on older 2.5s and around the 80-100k mark

but- you nevr know just try to get a well maintained, serviced van thats not been hammered
Old 15-05-11, 09:25
Van Guru
Official MemberVW Transporter

T5 Post Icon Re: dual mass flywheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddygaz View Post
Hi All,

I've owned a t5 now for 3 months. its a 55 plate 102ps 1.9tdi done 119,000 miles and I think I have the dreaded DUAL MASS CANCER but the rumble I'm getting is a constant noise and I'm sure I notice it after warm up ( say when engine is at 70 degrees).

Originally thinking I had some well worn wheel bearings I jacked it up and theres no vertical play on the wheel. I jacked up the whole front end and started and ran it to hear a rubbing noise (pulsing)

The van actually drives fine and clutch is great, no differculty changing gear just a drone noise when moving along above 30mph or so.

I've just come from 5 years of type 25 fun and games and decided to spend my time out of teh tool box by buying a t5. hmmm

does this sound familiar to anyone?
We've just bought a 58 plate 1.9tdi after 3 years in a T25 which never actually let us down but I had a little chuckle at all the tools / spares / tow rope / jump leads we carried for those "just in case" moments

We camped for the first time on the "wedding" weekend and there were 2 other T25's at the site plus our T5 - guess which one didn't start on the morning of departure, we'd not realised the fridge was 12v only and had the power switch the wrong way round so it flattened the van battery!

Got a jump start from the site tractor and set off slightly red faced!
Old 19-07-11, 17:09
Van Jedi

dual mass flywheel is on all diesel vehicles now (as far as I know, you may find a manufacturer that doesnt use them but I doubt it).

They take up the torque to stop the gearbox getting ripped apart in a diesel. check youtube for an explanation.

They are a right pain and sometimes fail / are badly made often giving a judder/vibration when using the clutch particularly. The flywheel is like 2 wheels, one that takes up the initial torque against springs so rotates only so far against springs before turning the other wheel. Either it ends up being able to rotate too far or it goes loose around it's centre mount a bit like a plate that doesn't have a flat bottom on a table.

Basically, no rule on when they go, but you must replace this and the clutch at the same time due to the labour costs involved with a van (6 hours or so). You have to see it as a fragile clutch if you like, and you have to see it's maintenance as combined with clutch - whichever goes, replace the other too.

The only thing I'd add, since this is an expensive job due to the labour, is that you might have the work done somewhere that will redo the job if you have another bad flywheel following the work that might not materialise for say 8 months.
It might cost more and keep it being an expensive job, and it won't help if it doesn't re-fail for a long time, but at least you have some come back rather than saving say 250 on a cheaper replacement mechanic. A bit over the top maybe, but a thought.
Old 24-08-11, 12:31
Van Rookie

T5 Post Icon Re: dual mass flywheel

Having read the thread and experiencing excesive vibration , I took my T5 Shuttle 174 (149k miles) to the dealer and it turned out to be sheared gearbox mount bolts - 30 mins labour and hey presto - winner
Old 24-08-11, 17:57
Van Pro

The trouble is people become obsessed and blinkered about a full service history, yes I agree it's better than none at all but it does not hide if a van has been thrashed from new by a spotty teen. I suspect most get a hard life causing a lot of the issues like drive shafts and dmf's. Mine was a repossession with no service history and in excellent condition for 100k miles. Just go for it expecting to do a full service and a water pump etc. Everyone posts about the bad things and keeps quiet with a healthy van.
Buy the best you can afford but don't think it is bullet proof with fsh !