VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Ruby - our first T4

8K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  jamie2501 
#1 ·
Picked our T4 up this month so thought i would starts a thread.

Its going to be a slow process - especially as this is my wife's daily so it has to be in a use-able state every Monday-Friday!

So, having asked a local conversion company if we could come and look at a T4 as we had plans for selling our Westfalia T25 and buying one.

After a bit of talk and discussion we ended up selling them this:

and buying this from them:

Unfortunately it wasnt quite ready for the kids - although our 6 year old did ask if we could leave the bulkhead in!

but we said no.

See less See more
#6 ·
Floor & R&R next (Forgot to get photo's of floor going in) but first had to get the animals out

Seat was an error by the conversion company, we asked for Cloth & Vinyl cover as its going to have kids seats on it most of the time -but they got us Vinyl and Leather -as it was their error they didnt charge us the difference T:

Next was a Headlight upgrade from Autosparks (Great piece of kit and excellent service), whilst installing thought i would take the front off to have a look and found a nice load of on the radiator -again, forgot to photo the dead cockroach that was in there.

#7 · (Edited)
Next was a few internal bits - replaced the dash speakers and put some 6x9's into the van using Speaker boxes (£15 from Ebay so cheaper than i could make them for).

Speakers were Vibe's from StereoSteve and they are great for what we need them for.

Next was a swivel for the passenger and then a front carpet mat from Megvanmats.

Before mat:

and with mat:

Then some sleek deflecters from Dubflecta and then it was finally time for T4Teddy to make an appearance T:

#10 ·
At the moment were saving for an Austop roof, but once thats in place were probably going to go high gloss red cupboards with black surface and the Smev 9222 :)

Going to put the back units in before the roof to get some storage but cant do the front and cooker section as that's where our son sleeps on a bedding roll until we get the roof.

#15 ·
T
This is the one i used, based on recommendation from StevetheStereo and a few others:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=118224 Jay & Abi are the people to ask for -really good customer service T:

Its really good quality and took about 15 minutes from start to finish to fit - plug and play pretty much.

Would also recommend Osram Nightbreaker bulbs. The lights on the T4 are now brighter than our Passat and my old Golf Mk6

#16 ·
The problem with child seats is that they are taller - so 3 Year olds cant get in and out of the seat very easily so it was time for some woodwork.

Not bad since the last woodwork i did was about 1984!!!

Although not as impressed with my carbon wrapping!

But overall it does the job and gives us a spare seat in the back when using it for picnics:

#21 ·
nice van pal ask jon at austops for a semi fit i took day off work went up and helped him install it only charged me £1350 colour coded took van home finished the triming up myself and made bed board in roof out 3/4 ply covered it for £20 with carpet (remnent from carpet shop) and a couple of gas struts from breakers of a volvo hatch back job done saved about a grand doing it this way although roof canvas was a bit of a pig to fit T:

#23 ·
haha i no wot you mean i had the top fitted to my first t4 about 2 years ago was abit daunting but only took me a day to finish it off looked the dogs nuts tho send us your email if you like and will send you some pics havnt worked out how you upload them to this site not the best on the computer

#29 ·
Inside started - a good day over the Christmas break at Steve Mathers In Ka workshop and the back carcus in and rest of interior planned - given we tend to use the van as a bedroom when camping and cook in the awning etc we realised at this point we dont need to save up the £2500 for a pop top and £1000+ for units and Smev etc so are building a custom bed for our sonwith storage underneath and our daughter will sleep in the cab bunk.

Seems the Ikea back unit wont just fit in as back is curved top to bottom and back to front!

(Although i think Steve just liked grinding sparks)

And the master plan for the bed and storage bench

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.