VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

The Green Geko Camper Build

79K views 118 replies 47 participants last post by  the Green Geko 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there, this is my van The Green Geko

It's an ex green flag van, which I bought in March 07, after I got water in the engine of my last car a Seat Cordoba, always being in to my German cars. I looked for ages and it seamed all over the country, all the good T4's seamed to be down south or far up north

Anyhow this one was about 10 doors down from where I lived and when I mentioned I was looking for T4 he said I could have his for 1500 and it only had 84000 on the clock :jiggy it's only a 1.9 but it was a SWB and had a half bulk had which was what I was looking for.

The plan was to convert it to a camper that would at least seat me and 4 mates and sleep 2 of us, my mate Dave was gona help me. Both of us are quit handy with power tools but done nothing like this before

So this is what it looked like when I first got it.

The van had some seats in the back but I didn't want them as i was gona convert so they where the first thing out and put on ebay, whilst on there i got a double seat for the front and sold the captain seat that I replaced with the double ones. Gotta love ebay :cheers

First thing I did I get this 8 ball gear knob off ebay and fit a small steering wheel I had from my old VW golf.

Once the seats where out we ripped up the old rubber floor and got the back steam cleaned out. First was the insulation, I'd managed to pick a big roll off 9mm foam (like camping roll mat) which I first lined all the panels and roof with. I then used kingspan and expanding foam the fill out all the panels and doors.

During that job I also had some side windows fitted. the windows are a sore point as i wanted the original VW windows and I’d not even thought that they would put in the ones they did and by the time I’d got back and they where in it was a little to late, yes being back twice now due to them leaking so far so good at the moment, complained but they said they would take them out and give me a refund even though I argued they don't do there job coz they leak. It still hurts sometimes when I look at them now :mad: when I get some spare cash I’m gona get proper ones put in.

Next was to get the panels made and carpeted, got the carpet from Mike at CMC.

The dog had all the good ideas??

We found carpeting the metal in the van was well easy which was nice as we had learnt a major lesson in making templates when doing the panel, so to have a simple job was nice.

For the floor we laid it with the 9mm foam, and then 12mm ply wood which was screwed down then lyno'd.

Whist I boarded it up I also wired in the lights

We then moved on to building the L shaped bench seat which would run down the back of the bulk head and along the drivers side. We made the frame up first and then screwed on the laminate chipboard fronts from behind to leave the front clean. We decided to show off as well and put a curve in the bench at the side door A: the top is 9mm ply (I think) with a small lip for the bed panels to sit on.

I was gona but in a cupboard at the back but just decided to leave it open so i can stack boxes there. As the 6 x 9's where going in at the top we build in a small cupboard at the top. Got the leisure battery and bass box in as well as the amp and 6 x 9's.

Before I fitted the back bit of chip board i went back to see Mike at CMC and got some light gray carpet to do the roof with which matched the ceiling in the front cab which I’ve left standard.

Next was to build the side cupboard which would also have to hold the bed panels in and I had to think of a way to bridge the gap between the Bench and the cupboard so the bed would extend. After a morning off looking at that space, like as if it would just come to us……………it did.

Mint it works

We used a normal kitchen work top for the top of the unit, and I got the guys in the DIY store to cut out and fix in the piano hinge, so the top would flip up to access the stove. I then got some plastic for a splash guard from a local sign writing company, works a treat.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I got the foam from a local guy in stoke foam furnishings, he covered them as well, i well chuffed with how they turned out.

Got mother dearest to do the curtains for me material from ikia and added a volt meter for the leisure battery

So pretty chuffed with it now, its being a year since I did my conversion and its worked mint being away plenty in it. There are a few small mods I want to make to make it easier to live in when I’m away but here's the final interior.

Being concentration on the outside recently had most of the checks taken off but I quite like the ones on the bottom and on the back, I think it keeps some of it's old character.

I've cleaned up the tow bar, added black VW badges front and back (which i think look well cool) got clean new number plates, and some Audi 16" alloys. The van had heavy duty springs in which sat the back up very high I’ve popped some standard springs in which have brought it down a little but cautious about going lower 1) as I’ve heard so many horror stories and 2) I drive in fields and up dirt roads.

Oh I’ve also tinted the rear window, added clear indicators, and wind deflectors on the front windows.

Anyway there it is hope you all like it, I’m well chuffed, even more chuffed I’ve now found myself in this club :ILU:

#9 ·
Did a few of those little jobs in the van today that i needed to get done

First was one of my doors had come off, and i wanted to swap it to hing at the bottom, but as always it's never that simple, and had to plain few mill off the bottom for it to fit, but its good now

Next was the splash guard for my stove I've had the aluminum cut and read to go on for a while but just not got round to doing it, well have now

Next was one of those thingies to hold up one of my cupboard door's........my god it had to be the most annoying thing to fit, first i had to work out how it worked, then it took 3 attempts to get it working proper, well at least it was 3rd time lucky

Central locking and sound deadening the cab next, and lowering on the way too T:

#13 ·
Cindy, cheers for that, i find it works really well for me and my mates, they have tents LOL: but we hang out in the van with ton's of space for us all, i also did the bench wide enough for me to sleep on without making the full bed up, which is sweet coz i can just sit up in my sleeping back and put the kettle in :cool:

Got the volti meter of fleebay about £20 i think its defo a plus to have T:

#19 · (Edited)
And fitted central locking, well T4aid did most of the hard work, but i finished the job off.

As i understand usually a 3 hour job but no not with me, best part of a week :(

anyway got the kit from rightclick on ebay for £34 delivered, 2 masters and 2 slaves then got the sliding door contact of ebay as well (this is the best one to get as you don't have to line up male and female ports) for £7.99 they sent me 2 tho so i emailed them and sent one back as he said he would refund the postage and only cost £1 to send back but he refunded £3 A:

I got the Rods and clips from at VW supplier in Stoke, they delivered the rods but not the clips rang them twice they said they would deliver ended up going up to get them they only cost 34p and i only had 24p on me (i got them for that) but how much hassle for 34p's worth?????

Part codes for rods and clips from VW you need 2 of each for the front doors.

Rods: 7D0 862 163

Clips: 171 837 199

Then i snapped one of the clips :* :( so had to order and other one, they delivered that on time tho A:

Striped of the door cards first and took some of the lower dash off the fit the wires

Did the sliding door first and the contact, had the fit the solenoid in a different spot than standard, you can see in the first pic where the central locking rod clamps to the locking pin

then did the front doors, again the controls wouldn't fit in the standard holes :( I the 5th pic you can see why you want to get the VW standard rods as they come bent and are also the correct length ish, forgot to take a pic of the clip but you put the top of the rod in to the clip so it stays in the hole on the locking mechanism

Than thread all the wires through and clipped them up behind the dash, will get some rubber thingies to go from the door to the main body.

Its all done now and working fine A:

BUT

whilst the dash was out i pulled out the rest of the cap to sound deaden the floor with aqua seal, flashing tape from B & Q

and then put it all back together again, with all the king's horses and all the kings men :confused:

#21 · (Edited)
OK so I've finally got new tyres all round after much deliberation on what size to go for:

215/65/16 or 215/60/16 or 225/55/16

Went for the latter as they are the same size as the old steelies which where 195/70/15. The tyres previously on where 205/55/16 made for a car, and didn't fill up the arches, and these do especially as I've only had it lowered -40mm for practical reasons.

Also got a cool new bra from CMC. Mike custom made it up for me so it matches the stripe of checks that go down the back of the van as well, only gonna put it on for special occasions tho, like weddings and christenings I:

Next is new sliding caravelle side windows to replace those ugly ones and maybe some stainless steal side bars.

Was thinking of getting rid of the side checks but as i ran in to a small post and dent/scraped :*:*:*:* the drivers side just in front of the rear wheel (you can just see it on the top pic :*), i'll keep em as they hide it but gonna have to get it sorted some how :*:*

Anyway hope you all like A::ILU::D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.