Old 29-02-12, 13:22
Van Man

T5 Post Icon Cam Belt Change T5 2.5 TDi

I was advised last June by a local garage to expect a cam belt change June 2012. I have been told recently that my VW Transporter 2.5 TDi doesn't have a belt, but a chain. Is this correct and if so I suspect that it wouldn't need changing? Help. cheers, Matt.
Old 29-02-12, 13:45
Van Jedi

Default Re: Cam Belt Change T5 2.5 TDi

On the 2.5 there is no timing belt or timing chain. Its gear driven.You may need to change the gate couplings that run the Power steering and altenator.
Old 29-02-12, 13:55
Van Pro

This will give you some information about your engine if you have a PDF reader

http://pierro777.free.fr/DOCVAG/2.5_TDI.pdf
Old 29-02-12, 14:04
Ctrl Alt Delete
I Support MacmillanI Support CLIC SargentOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryk View Post
On the 2.5 there is no timing belt or timing chain. Its gear driven.You may need to change the gate couplings that run the Power steering and altenator.
gerryk is right mate theres no chain or belt, but at 100,000 you will need to change the freewheel and elastic drive couplin on a 2.5, I have just changed mine, its not cheap but as soon as my bearing was removed(freewheel) it fell to peices so i dont think it would have lasted much longer, im glad i got it done.

"Speak only if it improves upon the silence"
Old 29-02-12, 14:23
Van Man

Red face Re: Cam Belt Change T5 2.5 TDi

Thanks very much to you all. I feel a bit stupid now!! Also feel like the local garage may have been trying to take me for a little ride, quoted me at least 600 for a "cam belt change". Sounds like a rip off merchant, or he didn't know what he was talking about. Whats more they all claim to ex VW technicians!!!! Cheers, Matt (Monkey Magic)
Old 29-02-12, 14:28
Ctrl Alt Delete
I Support MacmillanI Support CLIC SargentOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Monkey View Post
Thanks very much to you all. I feel a bit stupid now!! Also feel like the local garage may have been trying to take me for a little ride, quoted me at least 600 for a "cam belt change". Sounds like a rip off merchant, or he didn't know what he was talking about. Whats more they all claim to ex VW technicians!!!! Cheers, Matt (Monkey Magic)
That sounds expensive matt, but it depend what needs to come off to get the job done? I was quoted 420 + VAT to get my freewheel and elastic drive coupling changed, in the end I bought the parts 230 and fitted them at my mates garage, it took us about 2 and a half hours but it wasnt to much trouble, i just need the ac recharging now.

P.S if anyone does think about changing the freewheel and that themelves, you will need a special bearing tool to fit the splines to remove the freewheel.

Tom

"Speak only if it improves upon the silence"