Old 08-03-12, 10:48
ale guru
Official MemberVW Transporter

T5 Post Icon 180ps DSG ... Loud pedal goes to 11

First trip out in the new wagon I notice that the accelerator pedal gets to a point of resistance, where the DSG usually drops a gear and it pulls away nicely... Taking it easy you could be forgiven for thinking that is it but I quickly noticed that you push through this first point of resistance and get another inch or more down to the floor where it proper kicks down and takes off in anger with the rev needle swinging up to 3.5k+ (probably kicking that 2nd turbo in whilst its at it?)... eg: so if you are cruising at 70/80 in 7th and go to '10' it drops to 6th and pulls well... just when you think it can't get any faster and you are wondering where can you go from there, you give it a shove to '11' and it kicks down to 5th and really takes off.

Absolutely love it... but despite having had a few rapid autos I have never had a motor with this 2 stage pedal feel before, never had a double clutch auto though. There is much more feel to the pedal in the last bit. Its a nice touch.

My old manual T5s never had it and I can't remember it on the 102ps GP loaner I had a while back ?

So I was wondering if it is just a DSG thing or a 180ps thing etc.

... or if there is something wrong (right) with mine ... This one goes to 11
Old 08-03-12, 11:15
Mellow Yellow Bongo Fury
I Support MacmillanOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: 180ps DSG ... Loud pedal goes to 11

Nope... that sounds like your "kick down" to me...

Basically, the gear box changes down a gear for more power when you do it... sound about right?

BONGO FURY
205.9wbhp - 353.7wft 17.1301 1/4

Last edited by slimjim; 08-03-12 at 11:34.
Old 08-03-12, 11:15
Van Pro

T4 Post Icon Re: 180ps DSG ... Loud pedal goes to 11

I had an old auto 5series BMW with the double kickdown thing. Pretty quick

Was *really* good fun, I used to end up going backwards around roundabouts tho' (rear wheel drive).
Old 08-03-12, 11:19
Van Master Jedi

I used to ride a YPVS 350 Yamaha that had two powerbands (it was tuned). Now that was a scary bike. I think the gear drop to 6th is just progressive, almost CVT like, but the second one more like the kickdown. In multispeed autos, it's like that. In the old 3 and 4 speed autos you didn't. Had a drive in a new 8 speed bmw the other day, and whilst you had to listen carefully, it was also swapping cogs like this, ot maintain best performance/economy, accordin to the conditions.

Trick Gearboxes these DSG's
Old 08-03-12, 11:25
Mellow Yellow Bongo Fury
I Support MacmillanOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Yeah, you need to remember that the DSG gear boxes mean that the car is always in "TWO" gears...

So the kick down will be instant

when you do it, doe the revs "jump" up?

BONGO FURY
205.9wbhp - 353.7wft 17.1301 1/4
Old 08-03-12, 11:31
ale guru

Cheers for the replies fellas ... I get the whole kick down thing with an auto box, as mentioned, I have had a few fairly rapid autos over the years last one being a 335d. Let it know what you want with pedal down to the floor and the box kicks down a couple of gears.

What is new to me here is the actual 'feel' of the pedal ... as said, it gets to a noticeable point of physical resistance that you can then push through and beyond that point the pedal is heavier with a more 'gritty' feel (for want of a better word).

ie: the pedal travel and feeling itself has 2 very distinct stages ... the later feeling very different under foot and providing the more aggressive kick down of course.

Just never had a pedal (auto or manual) that had 2 such distinct sections to it before... and wondered it it was the same on all DSGs or all 180s etc.
Old 08-03-12, 11:34
ale guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim View Post
Yeah, you need to remember that the DSG gear boxes mean that the car is always in "TWO" gears...

So the kick down will be instant

when you do it, doe the revs "jump" up?
... indeedy, being a double clutch the kick down is very instant and the revs fly ... the Bi Turbo likes them revolutions

Love it
Old 08-03-12, 11:38
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by no$bill View Post
Cheers for the replies fellas ... I get the whole kick down thing with an auto box, as mentioned, I have had a few fairly rapid autos over the years last one being a 335d. Let it know what you want with pedal down to the floor and the box kicks down a couple of gears.

What is new to me here is the actual 'feel' of the pedal ... as said, it gets to a noticeable point of physical resistance that you can then push through and beyond that point the pedal is heavier with a more 'gritty' feel (for want of a better word).

ie: the pedal travel and feeling itself has 2 very distinct stages ... the later feeling very different under foot and providing the more aggressive kick down of course.

Just never had a pedal (auto or manual) that had 2 such distinct sections to it before... and wondered it it was the same on all DSGs or all 180s etc.
I am thinking that the accelerator plays a part on determining one or 2 gears, as the DSG has to, effectively guess what you want, a quick press on the loud pedal in say 6th, will be it automagically give you 5th (which is instant) and the other shaft will go straight to 4th and only give you it if it thinks you really want the loud initiated further.

You can confuse a DSG a tad by accelerating hard quickly, then shutting off immediately, as it will have shifted to the next gear down 5th (Immediately) and pre selected the one down from that 4th, which will, once you shut off, go into the gear above the one you are in 6th, which will have to be shifted from the pre selected 4th gear. If that makes sense
Old 08-03-12, 11:41
ale guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by phallett View Post
I am thinking that the accelerator plays a part on determining one or 2 gears, as the DSG has to, effectively guess what you want, a quick press on the loud pedal in say 6th, will be it automagically give you 5th (which is instant) and the other shaft will go straight to 4th and only give you it if it thinks you really want the loud initiated further.

You can confuse a DSG a tad by accelerating hard quickly, then shutting off immediately, as it will have shifted to the next gear down 5th (Immediately) and pre selected the one down from that 4th, which will, once you shut off, go into the gear above the one you are in 6th, which will have to be shifted from the pre selected 4th gear. If that makes sense
yeah... mine goes to 11
Old 08-03-12, 11:48
ale guru

Seriously though... that does make sense. Having the 2nd stage of the pedal to request the instant kick down to the ready prepared gear.... you are less likely to be bothered about any DSG confusion or slight delay if easing off.

Just a new one on me to have that distinct physical line felt underfoot between pedal stage 1 and 2 and a heavier, gritty feel to the 2nd stage. Nice though.

I'll take it as being a DSG only thing then.