VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Steve`s T5 Shuttle a rags to riches journey.

177K views 388 replies 75 participants last post by  rspsteve 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all
I,m steve from Wickford in Essex and today i have picked up a 54 plate 2004 shuttle t30 130 6 speed in silver , mileage isnt to bad @129k but it benefits from having a replacement vw engine thats done approx 3k miles bill is for over £4000 plus fitting etc!.

Heard about it by accident as i was looking for a T4 (budget) but this was a very good price .

She has been stood up for about 12 + months .

He is my build thread documenting my efforts , i will take pics as i go .

So here it is when i first viewed it a few days ago ......

Plans are to get it up to spec mechanically , then do all the usual exterior mods while i decide on interior spec .

Steve

Spec :-

ENGINE

T5 Shuttle T130 (VW replacment ) 130 bhp 6 speed now fitted with a 174 turbo and custom remap running approx 201 bhp done by Pendle performance

EXTERIOR

Full T5.1 Caravelle front end conversion complete with 5.1 mirrors and Sportline rear lights.
Replica 5.1 Sportline front lip spoiler.
Genuine vw rear roof spoiler.
Dubflecta wind deflectors.
Genuine rear bumper protecter.
Twin sliding doors.
Rear tailgate .
Pro sport colilver kit ......Airride in the future!
20 inch Dotz Exile van rated alloys with 275 40 20 106xl tyres .
Prosport coilovers.
B pillar decals
Colour coded side bars

INTERIOR

Aircon
Electric windows
Cruise control
Alpine CDA-137BTi Hertz HSK 16.5 componants , Genisis Profile 2 ultra amp, Hertz ES 250 10 inch subs x 2 custom made sealed sub boxes x2 (to be fitted) Genesis sub amp .
Pyle 16.4 drop down Dvd player
Custom trimmed heated leather seats in Bentley Nappa leather by Trimstar.
Rib Altair 130mm full width Trimmed in Bentley Nappa leather to match the front seats By Trimstar.
New 12mm ply floor and Altro flooring.
Retrimmed interior panels .....2 tone smoke lower with silver upper.
Chrome interior handles.
SatinBlack door pull covers.
Vw sunglass holders x2
New genuine Vw carpet in Grey .

Work done so far 01-09-2013

New heavy duty Varta battery (5 yr guarentee)
Fitted a new Alpine CDA-137BTi Hertz HSK 16.5 componants speaker , Genesis profile 2 ultra amp( upgraded ) 2 x Hertz Es250 sub woofers custom built sub boxes and a Genesis sub amp.
A/c re-gas
Full service inc fuel filter etc x2
Fitted new mass airflow sensor , new turbo boost sensor.
Remove bulkhead and seats.
Remove electric side step and wiring.
Remove all cab related wiring.
Fitted new prosport coilovers
Fitted new 20 inch Dotz Exile wheels and 275 40 20 106 Xl tyres
Limo tint side and rear windows
Fitted new e/window switch
Fitted new interior light(mk4 golf) and roof console blank plates
Fitted new cupholders
Fitted new n/s drive shaft
Fitted new front ball joints and bolts
fitted new front drop links
fitted new front brake pipes
fitted new r/brake pads
Fitted 2 sidelight bulbs
Fitted new clear side repeaters
Fitted various chrome bits ......then remove them all ....doh!
Fitted genuine Carevelle gear knob,leather gaiter and 6 speed insert.
Retro fit cruise control.
Fitted new vw roof spoiler.
Fitted 5.1 front inc Caravelle lights , grill and big ally replica sportline spoiler .
Repaint both sides bumper and tailgate (just coz i,m fussy)
Fitted new sliding windows mechs (both sides)
Fitted new dash top and dash blanks.
fitted new vw wind deflectors.
Fitted new reg plates T500 BOY .
Fitted 174 bhp turbo ,egr blank plate, fix some minor bits, change oil and filter , full remap by Martin @PendlePerformance
Fitted genuine VW carpet in Grey
Fitted new genuine vw cab/sliding door step covers
Fitted colour coded facelift 5.1 mirrors
Fiited new genuine vw sportline rear lights
Fitted genuine vw bumper protector
Fitted genuine vw chrome interior door handles
Fitted genuine interior door pulls
Fitted bonnet strut
Fitted lower grill trim
Fitted rear bumper reflector mod
Fitted B pillar decals
Removed interior panels, flooring, A and B piller trims and cab headliner and retrimed in magavanmats light grey cloth.
Fitted retrimmed A & B piller trims and head lining .
Fitted 9mm floor batens and 12mm 1 piece ply floor.
Altro flooring
Full front seat retrim in Black nappa leather with double stitched Squares and carbon fibre heated elements by TrimStar
Rib altair 1300mm with custom made headrests (to match originals) and trimmed in Black Nappa leather as the fronts by Trimstar
Fitted all new door rubbers ,
Fitted genuine sun glasses holders x2
Replace all missing trim clips and fasteners.
Replace sliding door trims and clips.
Replace injector loom.
Replace thermostat and fill with correct coolant.
Fixed sliding doors cental looking.
Fit n/s and o/s door lock mechs .
Fit fully rebuilt injectors x5 , remap to suit new injectors
pyle 16.4 drop down dvd
Exhaust maifold and gaskets
Aircon drive pulley and both gates couplings .

I think thats it so far ....Add as i remember or do more.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Re: My new bus!

Day 3

The neaside d/shaft is kaput! will do both ball joints too, brakes look new all round which is a bonus.

Prosport coliovers arrived may have wheels sorted waiting to hear .

Also n/side mirror arrived today will fit that tomorrow along with removing the bulk head ...

And if time allows remove the electric step and wheelchair ramps and front bull bars

Both items will be for sale if anyone is interested .

Steve

#6 ·

Well spent the whole day on the bus .

Got the neaside door panel off and fitted the new Mirror, while i was at it cleaned the door panel and door with some apc , what a transformation , this bus is totally minging at the mo but he potential is huge !

Managed to get the bulk head out , took the seats out for easy access and found the filthiest crapet i have ever seen in a car!!

So instead of taking the step and bullbars off got into cleaning the carpet and front seats i own a karcher puzzi 100 and have to say good peice of kit.

Could only get some Rug doctor cleaning chemical from homebase and the results are fantastic but i think there must be some better stuff out there and will tackle it again.

A few pics before ....

Will post some after pics when it stops raining!!

#13 · (Edited)

Does the mileage check out ok on vosa?
Of course .

2007 68879 miles
2008 83015 miles
2009 83103 miles
2010 106106 miles
2011 127210 miles

Replacement engine, clutch & dmf @125900

I know both the previous owner and the garage that has looked after it since 09 and who fitted the engine .

I will stick with him for , going in friday for n/s drive shaft front ball joints drop arms and rear pads ...if he has time while he is stripping it down he might as well fit the coilovers.

Still lots to do to get it up to scratch but i,ll get there .

The bits i need before modding include a super deep clean!

I need a e/window c/locking e/mirror switch , all 4 door step liners 3 window trims for the sliders and a shuttle interior light ....probably more but thats all i can think of right now .

Steve

#20 ·

The fact is it is showing as having done 85 miles in a year. There could be a reasonable explanation,although i cant think of one unless the owner had a 12 month ban.
I cant show you a pic but i have a 12 plate 140 t32 swb. Its got twin side doors,tailgate,cruise,heated seats,factory alloys.Its Danish Blue.
Oh,and its my last post on the matter.

#21 · (Edited)

Back on topic...

Been playing with the van today and managed to clean all the door panels and dash , in side the door shuts all round its comming up nice ....cant do much miore till the middle of july as i,m using it to ferry the missus and her sisters to the airport so i need the rear bench in place .

Will be sorting limo tint on the side windows and having a new limo tint rearscreen fitted shortly .

Coilovers and a nice set of 18`s before the end of june, went for 20`s in the end

And booking to get cruise control fitted, use it all the time in my 996 c4s and miss it badly! cruise now fitted .

List of parts needed growing fast......some just coz i,m fussy!

Complete interior light assembly...shuttle unless others fit ?
E/window c/locking , e/mirror switch
cup holders .
Front door rubbers .
All parts now sourced and fitted

Bits for sale shortly .....

Steel bulkhead with 3 seats and seatbelts would be very handy if someone needs 3 extra seats quickly.
Front bullbar.
Electric side step and wheelchair ramps.
And in July the rear seats and any fixings .

Offers on any of the bits via Pm please .

Steve

#27 · (Edited)

Another update ...

All the new bits fitted ,ball joints drop links and drive shaft mechanic had a nightmare with the driveshaft he finished at 2 am!!

All done but found the ball joints all loose and on by a thread luckily he spotted it ....4 new bolts on order ! along with 2 brake pipes , its getting there ....the best bit is the coilovers are on ....wheels next .

Before

After the prosport coilovers are fitted ....i must say well happy with the ride it was wallowing but now corners firm and true....i imagine even better when the wheels are fitted ...

Thanks for looking

Steve

#31 · (Edited)

Day 14 ...

Still loads to do , ball joint bolts, front brake pipes , still got a small problem with power mechanic thinks mass air flow sensor and clean the egr valve....turbo could be faulty..

Have got loads of bits here ready to fit inc cupholders,

All door steps , front door rubbers , carpet lining and flooring from megavan mats .

Wheels might now arrive tomorrow with a bit of luck!

latest pic.....

All comments welcome good or bad ..

Thanks for looking in, Steve

#38 · (Edited)

Ok so today we removed the electric side step and wiring , had to remove most of the dash to get the wiring out so great time to fit the new cup holders T:. thanks to my mate lee for the wiring .

Had a bit of time to spare so it was rude not to fit the wheels!

Hope you like !

Quick piccy , side repeaters to fit and finish for the day .

Steve

#42 ·

Day 20 .....updated page 1 with a full list of bits done so far .....its a lot.

Had a day off today for Hazydayz to retro fit the cruise control ....couple of hours all in and working I:

As my black handles are worn i have gone for some stainless covers , not usually a fan but as i have the bull bars and mirror covers i thought i would see if i like it ..

Fitted a nice new gear gater and knob bit of bling on the inside wont hurt..lol

Managed to clay bar 3/4 of the bus will finish it off tomorrow weather permiting.

Pics to follow.

Steve

#44 ·

Steve can you tell me what offset your wheels are please bud? I'd really like the same size tyres you're running but my wheels are 35 offset and don't want them to stick out too far.

Many thanks T:
Sorry mate i dont know the offset i meant to look while they were off but in my haste to fit them i forgot....if you call vanstyle i,m sure they could tell you ..

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.