Old 19-01-13, 22:32
Van Rookie

T4 Post Icon Clutch adjustment

Hi all, this may be an obvious question, but I'm guessing the T4 have a hydroulic clutch? If so, I'm guessing that there is no adjustment?
The biting point on mine is very high and I have some trailer work coming up so am worried that its going to eat the clutch!!
As a rough guide, kind of on the on the out of 5 spanners Haynes style, how hard is a clutch to change. I am a reasonably able DIY mechanic and have done clutch changes before but only on Mk3 Golfs and the like.
Also, is it worth putting in a Caravelle gearbox for the higher ratios??
Mine is an early 2002 88bhp TDI

Cheers all, go steady!!!
Old 19-01-13, 23:33
Pedal box guru
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: Clutch adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbojimbo View Post
Hi all, this may be an obvious question, but I'm guessing the T4 have a hydroulic clutch? If so, I'm guessing that there is no adjustment?
The biting point on mine is very high and I have some trailer work coming up so am worried that its going to eat the clutch!!
As a rough guide, kind of on the on the out of 5 spanners Haynes style, how hard is a clutch to change. I am a reasonably able DIY mechanic and have done clutch changes before but only on Mk3 Golfs and the like.
Also, is it worth putting in a Caravelle gearbox for the higher ratios??
Mine is an early 2002 88bhp TDI

Cheers all, go steady!!!
Hi.
You are correct, they are hydraulic, there is no adjustment. But you can adjust pedal Hight to a small degree, by moving the master cylinder up and down.

To change a clutch DIY I would say 6 Spanners.. If I did not have access to the engine holding frame I would remove the engine and box together and split them on the floor.

Caravelle gear boxes are like hens teeth. But the theory is sound.

Check your pedalbox has not been messed about with or broken.

Stick your head in the footwell. Press the clutch pedal with your hand, and closely watch the master cylinder! If the master cylinder moves sideways even 1 mm then the pedalbox has broken to one degree or another.

If the pedalbox has been welded it is almost certain the master cylinder is either in the wrong place or at the wrong angle or both.

I supply exchange reinforced pedal boxes. Welded in a jig. If you are in need of one.

T4 PEDAL BOX EXCHANGE SERVICE
07989 403806trevor.miles@catchfire.co.uk