VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
661K views 4K replies 283 participants last post by  TURK 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've been working on a quad headlight design for a couple of years now, weekends mostly. Had quite a lot of issues as you may imagine. Nothing I can't deal with though.

The design has changed quite considerably in the last year. I can safely say that I'm almost there. But I need some assistance.

I'm currently after set of headlight brackets. second hand if poss. ( obviously trying to keep the costs down ).

Here's what I'm after ..... what looks like number 2 in the diagram >>

To better explain, here's a picture of an old one I took a couple of years ago ...... already modded ! >>

I'm after an 'unmolested' set, as I realise now I cut away too much :*
we do have a breakers in Jersey, but they're next to useless ! they'd probably say ...... what's a T4 ? I:

Quick rundown how things are going, if anyones interested .....

On a previous thread I posted the 'test rig' with all the wiring and switching complete. The 90mm headlamp units are by Hella.
The high beam is of reflector type and the low beam is a projector type ( switchable LHD/RHD ). In high beam all four units are on.
These things are so bright you wouldn't believe ! you can actually feel the heat off them ! >>

I had to design the mounting brackets for the units from scratch, it took literally day's just measuring. I then sent my design to be lazer cut. When I received the templates back ( 2 months later ), I was surprised to see that they had used 2mm stainless steel, instead of the 1.5mm I had requested !
Oh well, they're here now, I may as well try to fit them. I did email them, they apologised profusely, and told me they would send replacements FOC in 1.5mm.

In the meantime, I had a fitting to do. >>

When I 'married' them up, they looked OK, great .... all I got to do now is to shape the mounting tabs to fit the bulkhead.
Not so easy with 2mm stainless steel ! I wanted to use stainless steel for two reason, one; no corrosion, and two; no flexing.
There's nothing worse than poor headlights that judder when your engine is on idle. >>

As I don't have a workshop ( I don't even own a vice ! ) bending the mounting tabs was just impossible for me.
Here's the resulting 'farce' >>

So I packed up for the day, disappointed to say the least :(

I realised the tabs were an issue, so I asked the steel fabricator to cut all the tabs off, before sending me the 1.5mm ones, as I knew I would struggle with those as well. A few days later they arrived. Now I was in the position to mount the headlight units into the mounting frames ( as this step could not be done with the 2mm templates ..... too thick ! ).

One of the major issues had been resolved many months ago ..... how to put x2 90mm units side-by-side in the aperture provided in the bulkhead. Here's what you've got to play with >>

And here's a shot of the rear of the 90mm Hella units. And these units are quite compact ! >>

Hight beam and low beam mounted in the mounting frames, are fully adjustable >>

As bending and twisting the steel tabs is such an issue, I found a way around it. Why not mount my 'template' into the original VW mounting frames !? ...... The original idea I had over a year ago I:
Thing is, back then, I was toying with the idea of installing two 120mm units side-by-side. A designed I dropped very quickly, as it's not possible.

This is where the project has stalled >>

In the picture above you can just see the VW mounting bracket, fitted to the bulkhead.
Now I'm sure you can appreciate the need for me to get my hands on some of these brackets. Cheap as possible, as I'm going to remodel them.

Sorry to have taken so much of your time, but it's for a good cause .... I think :)

TURK

See less See more
#7 ·
Re: Quad headlight design project grinds to a halt ..... again.

Hi Bonzey,

Will be making shrouds from fibreglass.
I need to find out the depth of the shroud first ( ie, how far in the Hella units will be ).

I've already got some shrouds made up, for testing purposes. Helps me to align the headlamp units correctly.
Otherwise you're in danger of setting them up 'pigeon toed'.

I've spent a couple of days searching the net for the brackets. so far I've only found one offside at a breakers, via ebay.
I may just order a brand new set of headlights.

TURK

#13 ·

Hi guys,

Many thanks for all your support. I suspected I could rely on the community for backup T:

Camperwagen I'll take you up on your generous offer ...... I PM'd you my deatails.

lord_farquad I'll bear that in mind, I'll add you to my ever growing list of 'Pre-Orders' :)

Russ Dylan you are also added to my 'Pre-Order list mate :)

Bearing in mind that this is a 'one man industry', it will be a while before I get a few sets available for sale.

I will also be looking into making some shrouds in a carbon fibre finish, as the kits are now available on the net >>
http://www.eastbaycomposites.com/products/carbon-fiber-fabrication-kit

I'll keep you all posted of my progress.

Watch this space .......

TURK

#15 ·

WOW... these look AMAZING!!!
How are you going to cover them? ... Carbon fibre to the edge of the units, emulating the original shape?

Is the goal for a set of one off's....

Or are you going to start making some for others? (Put me on the list!)

#16 ·

Hi all,

The concept has always been to design a product for T4 owners anywhere, particularly here, as we all care a great deal about our vehicles :D and we all know just how poor T4 headlights really are. I was one of those poor unfortunates that were duped into buying the Audi DRL type
headlights, that let's face it, are actually worst than the original VW lights. Light output wise.

When I bought my first T4 over 3 years ago Project Zwo had just ceased to make their quad headlight kit :( prices were around £600 at the time if I remember rightly. I spent the following year trying to get a decent second hand set. After a year I thought, sod that .... I'll make my own :D I'm pretty sure I could make something cheaper.

So the research began .......

Is the goal for a set of one off's....

Or are you going to start making some for others? (Put me on the list!)
To make a set purely for myself with a direct fit to my van, would of been straight forward. But as I had to to make various components and moulds, why not make them as 'headlight kit' available to all :)

This is one of the design issues, to fabricate a 'bolt on' product ! ...... more complex than I had imagined.
I'm certainly not a quitter ( never have been ), so I'll keep on chipping away :D

The 'test rig' picture with all four headlight units ON ( high beam ), is being run off a PC power supply, giving just under 12 volts @ 16amps.

So these installed in your T4 together with the 'headlight upgrade wiring loom' available from various traders on here, will be amazing !:D

TURK

#17 · (Edited)

SUPER interested in this my good man...

My lights have been upgraded (before I had the van) to HID's inserted into the original lenses.
Which is not only illegal and annoys everyone else on the road but also doesn't give decent light anyway!
NO idea why people do it... :dunno:

What do you need to proceed? Will have a snoop around and see if I can find anything helpful.

#18 ·

Thanks for that slimjim greatly appreciate the offer.

Camperwagen has already offered his services ..... what a nice chap :D

The design should allow for various lighting configurations such as;

Halogen ( with H7 lamps ) / with, or without side-light

Bi-Halogen ( with H9 lamps )

Xenon

Bi-Xenon

As Hella manufacture the 90mm units as a modular system for kit car builders, and race car upgrades.
The choice of units I will leave to who ever places an order for the kit. The configuration will be his choice. It will of course, determine the final price of the units.

From what I've read HID isn't a good idea, as it takes a while for full brightness ( something to do with the charge from the balasts ).

When you see how bright these things are, you won't need HID :)

When the first set is complete and installed on my van. I'll go to DVS ( Our local version of an MOT tester ) as we don't have an MOT over here in Jersey. I obviously have to make sure I will be selling a product the conforms to legal requirements.

slimjim you have now been added to the 'Pre-Order list :D

TURK

#20 ·

Hi all,

Wonderful...

The Hella 90's look great.
And I know they are used quite a bit on self-builds.

Ball park idea on price for the Hella's? £300-ish?

Yup ..... and that's just the 'Classic' range !

'Performance' & 'Premium' range even more expensive :eek:

My biggest saving will be on the Hella units. I'm pretty sure I can organise a quantity purchase.

I don't particularly want to discuss pricing options at this stage, as it would be pure speculation on my part, and I would probably confuse or misguide people hoping to buy a set.

As an example though, take a look at what is available in the market place today.
DRL Audi types ... not much change from £300 and rubbish, to put it blunty I:

Quad headlights for T4 ...... nothing available ( except the above ) !

Bespoke designed = expensive !

I think it all depends on what you're prepared to pay, safety has no price as far as I'm concerned.
I like to see where I'm going at night ;)

I'm not doing this for pure profit, I'd like to make that clear. I'm quite happy if I make a few quid per set. If my time is paid for and I offer a reliable product that people like. That will do me :D

TURK

#21 ·

I think it all depends on what you're prepared to pay, safety has no price as far as I'm concerned.
I like to see where I'm going at night ;)
I completely agree.

Keep me updated. T:

I know a guy locally who has a few van's "laying around" ... shout me if you think I can help with any bits.
:ILU:

#22 ·

This is a very interesting thread.. and you get my full respect and in support I'd love it if you could add me to your list to buy a set from you.

Good luck with the build and I'm looking forward to reading all about the progress you make..

good luck mate.
steveT:

#24 ·

Thanks guy's,

I know a guy locally who has a few van's "laying around" ... shout me if you think I can help with any bits.
I shall keep that in mind ..... thanks slimjim T:

stevefarries & alltorque just added you to my Pre-Order list guys ;)

If it continues like this I'll have to quit my day job, and go into full-time production ! :D

I think I'll have to 'cap' the 'Pre-Order' list at 12 I'm afraid :( I'm almost there already !

I wouldn't like to disappoint prospective 'customers'. But I have to be realistic given the spare time I currently have.

I'll keep you all posted with regards to my progress, so watch this space.

TURK

#25 ·

Unless I have got the wrong end of the stick (which happens :D ), could you make your prototype from 16swg mild steel or even alluminium? That way you can manipulate the bends and folds with basic tools and once you have perfected the fit, ammend your drawings for stainless steel sheets to be laser cut and profiled.

Look good by the way, good efforts matey T:

#27 ·

Hi guys,

16swg, 1.6mm equivalent very very hard steel btw, even in it's mild form. Even with basic tooling, bending proved to be a nightmare to work with :(
I'm going to try aluminium for the plates.

There are a couple of reasons why I would like to use the original VW mounting frames. The first one is the actual mounting tabs are already there. All T4's are identicle, no variations.

The second reason is the clip for the indicator position. To duplicate this, is very difficult, as I found out :eek:

It also allows for individuality when it comes to indicator choices. Some people prefer the clear indicators or the smoked ones ( as I have ) or even keep the original orange ones.

Anybody know of a supplier for sheet aluminium, as over here they are asking £38.00 for a 500 x 500 mm sheet.
Just about enough for 2 templates !

TURK