Old 02-02-13, 18:16
Van Master Jedi
Help For HeroesOfficial MemberVW Transporter

T5 Post Icon 1.9 T5 crankshaft / speed sensor.

Took my van for MOT yesterday, all fine and passed, did 1/2 mile from test centre and my van just cut out... First time it's ever done this. After 5 mins stuck at the roadside with constant cranking etc it finally fired up as if nothing happened.

Got home and scanned using VCDS which showed that the G28 speed sensor as an error.

I have parked up the van and ordered a new sensor from vw.

Has anyone done one on a 1.9??

I can only find info on 2.5 sensor changes which seems a hassle... I'm guessing the 1.9 will be easier as with everything..

Where is the sensor?? Tips on changing??

Cheers..
Old 21-02-13, 17:40
Van Master Jedi

Default Re: 1.9 T5 crankshaft / speed sensor.

Evening bump.... I've been using the van but following tonight's breakdown I'm tackling this tomorrow morning... Any info on g28 sensor on my 1.9 would be grateful. The sensor I have bought from vw is a Normal external sensor and not the one that is part of the rear main oil seal, thank god.. I have read about possibly having to remove the oil cooler??? Early heads up this would be great so I can source oil etc before I get it up in the air..

If nothing then I'm going in blind!!!
Old 21-02-13, 19:27
Van Pro

T5 Post Icon Re: 1.9 T5 crankshaft / speed sensor.

Hi, The sensor is located at the front of the engine block near the gearbox. The best way to do this sensor is to undo the oil cooler at the bottom nut and swing it out of the way. From memory then use a long wobbly allen key (as the bolts at a fully angle with the engine casing) to undo the crank sensor bolt usually a 4mm or 5mm. Be careful as if this 'rounds' off its usually the gearbox out. Then fit the new sensor torque to 5nm if you've got a torque wrench. Cheers Danny
Old 21-02-13, 19:29
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey10 View Post
Hi, The sensor is located at the front of the engine block near the gearbox. The best way to do this sensor is to undo the oil cooler at the bottom nut and swing it out of the way. From memory then use a long wobbly allen key (as the bolts at a fully angle with the engine casing) to undo the crank sensor bolt usually a 4mm or 5mm. Be careful as if this 'rounds' off its usually the gearbox out. Then fit the new sensor torque to 5nm if you've got a torque wrench. Cheers Danny
That's awesome pal... I take it you can move oil cooler without dropping the oil then?
Old 21-02-13, 19:46
Van Pro

T5 Post Icon Re: 1.9 T5 crankshaft / speed sensor.

Yes no need to drop oil, you will lose a little but not much just undo the bolt (27mm or 32mm i think) at the bottom and cooler just moves out of the way with coolant pipes still on. I haven't done a t5 one for a while but from memory its like this. Cheers.
Old 21-02-13, 19:49
Van Master Jedi

Spot on.. Cheers pal..
Old 22-02-13, 17:58
Van Master Jedi

Well all sorted.. It was a very simple 40 min task. The oil cooler simply needed twisting slightly and the crank sensor was easily accessible. Mine was held in by a 9mm male spline bolt. Luckily I had the socket for removal. Van starts and runs better