Old 24-05-13, 14:37
Van Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

T4 Post Icon Fitting a khyam to van

Hello all, looking for some advice please, just packed our van ready for a weeks camping, we currently have an outwell bear lake tent which is fantastic but weighs a bloody ton. Decided after packing today we've had enough and need something lighter, as we have a cannons forge bed in the van which two of my girls sleep on i think to make thing easier we'll sell the bear lake on our return and get a khyam motordome sleeper. Anyhow, how do these fit to the van is there some sort of kit I need to buy? Sorry if this has been asked before but this is a new avenue, as we've always used tents when camping. Cheers, gaz
Old 24-05-13, 14:49
Van Pro
I Support MacmillanI Support CLIC Sargent

Default Re: Fitting a khyam to van

Hi mate I've had a Kyham classic for a while now and its a great bit of kit, easy to put it up and pack away. There is a couple of methods for attaching to van, it comes with ropes you can chuck over top of van a tie to wheels, or the better way is to attach a rail to your roof and attach the figure of eight that comes with the awning via a kador strip to the rail. rails can be picked up for lots of camping shops, i paid £17 or you can go for a reimo rail £lots! hope this explains abit, loads of posts on here can be found
Old 24-05-13, 15:01
Van Jedi
I Support CLIC SargentOfficial MemberVW Transporter

I have an awning rail (£25 ) bonded into the roof gutter with tiger seal, then the figure of eight strip that comes with the awning goes straight onto the rail

From T5 to T4

T4 Caravelle build thread http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=219855
Old 24-05-13, 16:34
Van Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

Smile Re: Fitting a khyam to van

Thanks for that. So the rail just fits in the gutter. Is tiger seal like a no nails/sealant kind of substance, I think this sort of set up would be a lot more straightforward than setting the tent up. Plus the motor dome sleeper looks a decent size for family camping. Cheers, gaz
Old 24-05-13, 19:28
Van Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by T444kids View Post
Hello all, looking for some advice please, just packed our van ready for a weeks camping, we currently have an outwell bear lake tent which is fantastic but weighs a bloody ton. Decided after packing today we've had enough and need something lighter, as we have a cannons forge bed in the van which two of my girls sleep on i think to make thing easier we'll sell the bear lake on our return and get a khyam motordome sleeper. Anyhow, how do these fit to the van is there some sort of kit I need to buy? Sorry if this has been asked before but this is a new avenue, as we've always used tents when camping. Cheers, gaz
Got this from eBay
Search. T5 awning rail

There are loads to choose from
Hope this helps