VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

VW 1995 T4 2.5 auto - Petrol consumption

7K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Samthespread 
#1 ·
I'm interested to know how good/bad the petrol consumption is for my van and how well others do, both auto and manual petrol driven T4s.

Any input for comparison or tips to improve it would be great.

This is my VW '95 T4 2.5 auto:

I don't thrash it, and take the foot off the pedal whenever she's rolling well. I try to keep the rev counter below 3K, on motorways, so cruise along at 60-65 getting to 70 or so on the downhills. On the 200 mile trip to London (which is a mix of road types) with a bit in town for a day or so, I usually get about 32 -34 mpg. Don't get me wrong, the power is there for overtaking and she can happily do 85 without strain but it's not dignified or legal, I: no fun for any length of time - and tiring for me!

Up and down the hills round jyere in Devon and in town it's a different story. Has been known to go down to about 18mpg in heavy, heavy traffic. :eek: But found I can still improve on that by gentle pulling away at lights etc.

It is rarely very heavily laden, and I have not done a careful fully laden test, but it did do a bit worse on a 500 mile trip through France with a load of building materials and doors up to its ears.

I have auto 'cos leg can't press clutch but had hand controlled clutch on a manual Bedord midi for a while. Very reliable but never liked the silly narrow size, or sitting on the engine, and petrol consumption was similar....
As soon as the 'new' VW transporter appeared I started to save up for my :ILU: Turquoise T4. :ILU:
Took 'til October 1995.
:)

See less See more
#5 ·
Just joined the gang T:T:

just bought 2 weeks ago a japanese import 2.5 petrol 1995 auto with only ....wait for it...only 45k on the clock. it is almost immaculate. I feel guilty just driving it!!

I have already done over a thousand miles on it and have decided I need a TDI conversion as I do big miles. I knew it would be heavy on the fuel but the best I have had is 27mpg and the lowest had me shocked!! like the other guy...around the 18-19 mark. Bleedin'awful but very smooth!!

Does anyone have the number for an outfit that does tdi conversions. Do they use the same auto gearbox or do they have to fit a manual??

Is the supply and fit meaning that you supply and fit the motor with all their bracketry, or they supply and fit everything ?? I must be having a thick moment!!:confused:

Thanks guys. Great to be here.

#3 ·
32-34 is amazing! I have a 2.5petrol manual and while its hard to do a direct comparison because I'm running on LPG, on a recent run to bude 150miles of motorway/a30 and 100 miles of local running around on lanes and a39, I averaged 19mpg! That was cruising at an indicated 75, actual 70ish, and pressing on when we could (I agree about cruising, but we didn't get to the campsite until gone 11 as it was).

#4 ·
Mine is a 2.5 Auto as well, and plenty of ups and downs in Cornwall...Automatic not set to "sporty" but I would struggle to get anywhere near your 32-34mpg, even on a run to Wales now and again, and I have a similar driving style to you, mostly through neccessity(cost etc)...usually get around 20-22, mostly short trips and about 25 on my trips to Wales(lots of hills)...I have done a full Camper conversion with poptop mind you, so am carrying a lot of weight around.....wouldn't change to a Deisel mind, love my Petrl 2.5, and so smooth T:

#6 ·
2.0 petrol, but pretty consistent at 23 mpg with no load and mainly doing a 15 mile trip to work. Odd longer jouney's wth maybe 20 kg in the back. I don't hang around but I hate revving it....so just keep accelerating. I did the 5th gear upgrade but so far difficult to say if it's made things better or worse. Certainly able to cruise at 70 now withour revving the nuts off it.

#7 ·
Another 2.5 automatic petrol T4 here this time on a 1998 coachbuilt Navigator. Estimated 20 mpg. Thankfully it has an LPG conversion so the fuel is just about half price (I pay 65.9/litre at the local Morrisons) so I console myself that I'm really getting the equivalent of 40mpg H:

#8 ·
I chug along in my 1991 jreg 2.5 petrol manual at around 60/65 mph and have just done a fuel economy test thing, done just over 430 miles on a tank of fuel, 80/20% motorway/normal roads and have worked out an mpg of approx 25. im quite happy with that but still think theres better to be had, so a full service will be down shortly (plugs ht leads dizzy cap and rotor) by me, fuel/oil and air filter by garage. Once its done i'll report back and let ya'll know if its helped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.