Old 24-08-09, 09:10
Van Guru

Default Fitted Rear Parking Sensors Yesterday...How to.

Fitted some rear parking sensors today, took a few pics as i went along, wasnt too much trouble, awkward bit was the bumper really.
Started off by unpacking all the box and testing the system. All was fine and working dandy

I tested the positive feed, connecting the red wire from the control box to the blue/black wire in the rear light cluster, which is the positive for the reversing light. All was well so hard wired by piggybacking to this wire, and connecting the earth to the nearest location on the bodywork.

Then i temporary sited the digital display on the right hand side just in front of the speaker grill. I was happy with this position because the lead doesnt show too much.

Then it was time to thread the cable through to the back. This was ok just unclipping the trim to feed the cable through to the bulkhead, then unscrewing the plugs to feed it though the ceiling. Some of the plugs didnt screw out so had to prize out with a knife. But they all came out 8-) Then all that was left was to feed the cable down to the rear light cluster, whilst feeding the cable down, put your hand up through the hole and pull through...job done.

At this point i drilled out the bumper to receive the parking sensors, i measured out according to the instructions and drilled out using the holecutter provided. Sorry guys no pics of this ops:

Next it was bumper time, unscrewed all the torx bolts underneath there are 8 in total including the ones on the wheel arch. which leaves 2 bolts either side of the locking mechanism. Now these are much harder to access but all they need was a little bending outwards with and open ended spanner, unscrewed and they came out a treat

Now the next part was a fiddly bit, the polystyrene bumper inside the plastic bumper had to be cut out to receive the parking sensors, so a bit of work with a stanley blade did the trick.

All that was left to do was feed the wires through the grommet for the light cluster and connect to each sensor. make sure no wires were showing, i was going to tape up with electrical tape at this point, but it was nowhere to be seen.....typical, so i'll do this another day

here is the finished article, works a treat :mrgreen:
Old 24-08-09, 12:28
Van Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: Fitted Rear Parking Sensors Yesterday...How to.

I have a park sensor kit for my van but I'm afraid to fit it because i have a towbar.
Don't want the sensors being fooled by the tow bar. Not sure where to put the sensors
especially the centre two.
Come to think of it, maybe the towbar is a good enough park sensor

"I've always been crazy, but it keeps me from going insane" Waylon Jennings
Old 24-08-09, 14:58
Serial Poster
Official MemberVW Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
I have a park sensor kit for my van but I'm afraid to fit it because i have a towbar.
Don't want the sensors being fooled by the tow bar. Not sure where to put the sensors
especially the centre two.
Come to think of it, maybe the towbar is a good enough park sensor
Same really I have some to go on but as well as a towbar I have painted bumpers.

Hence the sensors are still in their packet
Old 24-08-09, 15:57
Van Jedi

I have bought the same style of sensors just the screen is a bit different, I have not fitted them yet cos I didn't know what I would find behind the bumper.
did you have to cut the metal carrier at all because I was told that it interferes with the sensors , tell me do they work ok now they are fitted?
Old 24-08-09, 18:38
Van Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elowarr View Post
I have bought the same style of sensors just the screen is a bit different, I have not fitted them yet cos I didn't know what I would find behind the bumper.
did you have to cut the metal carrier at all because I was told that it interferes with the sensors , tell me do they work ok now they are fitted?

mine seem to work a treat, no trouble. i just recessed them into the poly bit behind the plastic bumper
Old 05-10-09, 19:31
Van Guru

Good work there pal What does the display er.... display? Have you got a link for more info on the kit?
Old 08-10-09, 14:47
Trade Member
Official TraderVW Transporter

If you buy parking sensors that are "dsm" which includes most top name brands these days it doesn't matter if you have a towbar or cycle rack etc. This type of sensor does ignore fixed protrusions on the vehicle. However, expect to pay about 175 fitted for this type of kit.

Electrics for camper vans and work vehicles.
www.travelvolts.com

INFO Text call back to 07971 165747 or upspex@gmail.com
NO PRIVATE MESSAGES PLEASE!
Old 28-10-09, 09:44
Van Jedi

I fitted parkright sensors for 4x4 to cover big wheels on the back and tow bars, so it provides a safety tolerance roughly equivalent to my bike rack which sticks out about 30 cm when folded up. I've not hit anything yet and I really need this device as I've no rear view and lwb. Mine is just a audio beep. To run a display to dash would have been a pain in mine.
Old 08-11-09, 20:06
Van Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmok View Post
Same really I have some to go on but as well as a towbar I have painted bumpers.

Hence the sensors are still in their packet
The reversing sensor kit I fitted indicates and measures the distance from the vehicle to the object and screen changes to red once 500mm away so I just never go nearer than about 300mm to allow for two bar. Its really good and well worth the money but using my 30 one now for about two years its great.
Old 10-11-09, 16:16
Van Guru

jezza your a legend, i can now use your thread as a guide!!! where did you get you kit??thanks mate....mark