Old 30-11-09, 18:05
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Towing Question

Evening peeps

I have a bit of a dilema thanks to the wife and kids!

We have just got another pony for my girls which we will be taking to local shows and pony club in our old horse trailer. We have a Nissan x trail which is pretty poor on fuel as it's a petrol and the wife uses it as a bumper car quite often She's used to small cars and doesn't really get on with big 4x4's.

Now we need a decent car capable to towing the two ponies and trailer (approx weight 2 tonnes) Is the T5 or indeed T4 capable of towing the above? If so which engine is the most suited?

Last edited by Bluehawk; 30-11-09 at 19:47. Reason: Reworded
Old 30-11-09, 20:27
Van Master Jedi

Default Re: Towing Question

Hello Bluehawk.

The empty weight of a T4 is about 1.8 -2 ton, the recomended towing limit is 80 per cent of the empty weight. So a T4 would tow a max of approx 1.4 - 1.8 tons. You could tow more and some manufactors reconmend more, but the Caravan Club say no more than 80 per cent.

If you go for a T4 the best engine would be the 2.5, at least a 104.

Hope this helps, I'm sure some one might come up with more ideas.

John.
Old 30-11-09, 20:42
Van Master Jedi

Thanks for that. I was thinking a 2.5 would be the best engine to go for. Would a T5 be any better?
Old 30-11-09, 20:47
Van Jedi

Apparently the max tow weight is 2 ton. I looked into this as I needed to tow a very large caravan of nearly 2 ton and my van 2.5 102 copped very well.

I believe the caravan club guidance of 80 % is just a recommendation - there's no laws around this.
Old 30-11-09, 20:49
Van Master Jedi

Hi I have a 2.5 petrol full westfalia 4 berth camper wieghing over 21/4 ton, so I have no problems towing 2 tonne tipping trailer. Thirsty on petrol so converted to lpg. any questions ask me.
Old 30-11-09, 20:51
Lord of the T4s
Help For Heroes

Towing trailers or caravans with vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes In this article reference is made to the maximum authorised mass (MAM) of vehicles and trailers. This should be taken to mean the permissible maximum weight, also known as the gross vehicle weight.

Category B: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM and with up to eight passenger seats
Category B vehicles may be coupled with a trailer up to 750kgs MAM (allowing a combined weight up to 4.25 tonnes MAM) or a trailer over 750kgs MAM provided the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, and the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes MAM.

For example:

a vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.25 tonnes could be driven by the holder of a category B entitlement. This is because the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and also the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle
Whereas

the same vehicle with an unladen weight of 1.25 tonnes and a MAM of 2 tonnes when coupled with a trailer with a MAM of 1.5 tonnes would fall within category B+E. This is because although the combined weight of the vehicle and trailer is within the 3.5 tonnes MAM limit, the MAM of the trailer is more than the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle
Vehicle manufacturers normally recommend a maximum weight of trailer appropriate to their vehicle. Details can usually be found in the vehicle's handbook or obtained from car dealerships. The size of the trailer recommended for an average family car with an unladen weight of around 1 tonne would be well within the new category B threshold.
Towing caravans
As for towing caravans, existing general guidance recommends that the laden weight of the caravan does not exceed 85% of the unladen weight of the car. In the majority of cases, caravans and small trailers towed by cars should be within the new category B threshold.

An exemption from the driver licensing trailer limit allows a category B licence holder to tow a broken down vehicle from a position where it would otherwise cause danger or obstruction to other road users.

By passing a category B test national categories F (tractor), K (pedestrian controlled vehicle) and P (moped) continue to be added automatically.
Category B+E: Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM towing trailers over 750kgs MAM
Category B+E allows vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes MAM to be combined with trailers in excess of 750kgs MAM. In order to gain this entitlement new category B licence holders have to pass a further practical test for category B+E. There is no category B+E theory test. For driver licensing purposes there are no vehicle/trailer weight ratio limits for category B+E.
Old 30-11-09, 21:02
Van Master Jedi

Cheers RJM

Checked my licence and I have the following catagories : A,B,BE,B1,C1,C1E,D1,D1E

I think I'm ok to tow the combination I mentioned earlier.
Old 01-12-09, 08:39
<-thats my old van
Help For HeroesI Support Cancer Research UKOfficial MemberVW Transporter

most old licences are good for towing etc. its newer ones that tend to be more restrictive
Old 02-12-09, 17:45
Van Master Jedi

Been thinking quite a bit about this and I really don't want to get of my van.... eventhough it gets on me moobs sometimes. Decided I'm going to spend money getting the engine in tip top condition, getting the little dings repaired in the door that some pleb left for me and making the interior evenmore comfy. Oh and like the look of a nice big set of golf gti alloys for it.

Unless a bargain mint T5 comes up beforehand
Old 02-12-09, 17:50
Senior Moderator
Official MemberVW TransporterModerator

I have towed without any problems, only thing is weight whilst using lowering springs. I'd recommend some nice ex-aa airbags if its that heavy, using these you should be able to level the van