Old 21-12-09, 10:54
Van Man

Default Chrome side bars/roof bars diy fitting.

Good Morning,
I have just bought my first VW T5 and i am in the long and slow process of fitting it and kitting it out. Trying to do everything myself as hate paying money for other people to do it, but at the same time i don't want to muck the job up if i think it is out of my league!!!! I have spotted the usual Side bars and roof bars on the usual ebay, internet sites, where i was planning on purchasing very soon. Has anybody fitted the side bars/roof bars in the home driveway, as they say that they are easy fitting!!!! If so then any information on fitting and the ease of fit would be very greatly appreciated. If you have bought them and fitted them yourself "Then are they easy to fit"?

Happy camper-vaning and i will post pics up of the work in a month or so, maybe two!!
Old 21-12-09, 11:05
Trade Member
Official TraderVW Transporter

Default Re: Chrome side bars/roof bars diy fitting.

HI,
I am very simular to yourself and hate paying other people to do thing.
I fitted side bars to my last van and they were easy, On a ramp

The pain is you have to cut the plastics on the under side of the van for the brackets, and i didnt want a massive hole and wanted the hole to be as tight as possable which was the hardest part.

I did try on the driveway but didnt think i would get the hole neat enough so got on a friends ramp to fit them. Took about 2 hrs but we wasnt rushing.
Different make of bars may have different fitting kits, so some may be easier than others.

I used vanstyle side bars and the quailty was perfect even after 10 months of having them fitted when i sold the van.

Not done roof bars, so cant help on that.

So its not impossable, Just take your time.

Cheers Andy

Windows, Carpet lining, Full conversions, Take a look
http://www.ajcconversions.co.uk/

Last edited by AJC Conversions; 21-12-09 at 14:34.
Old 21-12-09, 11:14
Van Man

Spot on, Thanks very much for taking your time to reply to my question. I have some ramps in the garage so will probably give it a bash myself. That is another thing that springs to mind, as i was looking under the van. I understand with the plastics and will take my time, "Do you have to drill the holes yourself through the floor of the van???" If so should not be to much trouble, but "Are the threads for the bolts already present, just to bolt the bars on"???? Ok thanks again.

This site is brilliant as new to this, everyone a great help and hope i could maybe be of some use also to other members.

Cheers
Alexander
Old 21-12-09, 14:33
Trade Member
Official TraderVW Transporter

Hi,

No worries mate about the Q's

From what i remember the holes were already there, Dont think they were thread but the kit came with nuts and bolts. (i sure no holes needed to be drilled but dont bank on it )

I used a dremel to do the cuts in the plastic so i could get the shape i wanted to be cut out.

Cheers Andy

Windows, Carpet lining, Full conversions, Take a look
http://www.ajcconversions.co.uk/
Old 21-12-09, 16:09
Van Man

OK tip top,
Thanks alot for taking your time to answer my questions. Will fire some pics up in the new year of my efforts. Will put another letter up the chimney for a Dremil and hope for the best.

Cheers again
Alexander
Old 21-12-09, 19:32
Van Pro

Got my side from direct 4x4 nice quality no drilling or cutting plastics, but you will need a set of ramps or access to a pit, the brackets fixes to holes already there, simples!
Old 21-12-09, 19:45
Van Man

Thanks again,
That has convinced me to order them, i have the ramps so will get her chromed. Any ideas for the roof rails. Do they fit in the existing screw fixings for the roof?? I take it you just beed in with sikaflex, then screw in using the original holes.

Thanks again
Alexander
Old 01-01-10, 20:21
Lord of the T4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybear View Post
Thanks again,
That has convinced me to order them, i have the ramps so will get her chromed. Any ideas for the roof rails. Do they fit in the existing screw fixings for the roof?? I take it you just beed in with sikaflex, then screw in using the original holes.

Thanks again
Alexander
I think they do, but they are flipping expensive.... (cheapest I have found is nearly 200!!(
Old 03-01-10, 18:44
Van Rookie

May not be alot of help, but we've had roof and side bars made by a local welding/fabrication firm. Brilliant quality and half the price, and they fitted them... might be worth a phone call to a few local places...
Old 06-01-10, 19:59
Van Guru

I too will be fitting all this sort of stuff to my new van. Any pics of fitting would be great. Ta