Old 02-01-10, 18:44
Van Rookie

Default 2.5 petrol convert to LPG?

I have a 94 Caraville 2.5 petrol, awesome drive and reliability, I want to convert to duel fuel, LPG and petrol. Anyone had there petrol converted to Gas if so what you think and where'd a good place to go? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-01-10, 21:22
Van Guru

Default Re: 2.5 petrol convert to LPG?

H.
I have a 2.5 petrol T4 converted to lpg by Steve Shore at Gasure in Chester. It runs very well even though it is the basic induction open loop system. Takes a day to fit and is the cheapest option. I get from 19.5 to 24.5 MPG depending on how I drive.

Give Stve a ring.
Old 08-01-10, 18:13
Van Jedi

i had mine done 2 yrs ago and brill[ kinda] for first 15 months then me problems started, I am seriously considering swopping me engine for a diesel, in fact it got me down so much even considered buying a landrover.....Its not the conversion but the van the 2.5 petrol seems to be a pig if something engine wise goes wrong...no f--ker seems to have the answer.....I know steve[ gassure] is changing the injectors on the guy with same van near chester....I await the outcome.....I had mine changed to start on lpg now as it wouldnt start on petrol [ and me breakdown cover refused to tow me home after 4 times].
My local garage checked my injectors amongst a thousand other things and havent resolved problem yet. It will run on lpg but if I have to switch to petrol it splutters and cuts out....a real pain.
The van , power etc is brill, mines even an auto, its a shame I have lost my true love for her...I would pay good money to have it put right, but being in North Wales dont know any real good mechanics to help out.
I was about to put a new thread up....on swopping 2.5 petrol engine to diesel...is it possible, which engine and who could do it? pm me for a chat.....
cheers Pete.
Old 21-01-10, 09:29
Van Guru

Hi,

I have a 2.5 petrol which was already converted (Gasure) when I got her last summer. So far I have been well impressed- the performance on Gas is great & very smooth. The only gripe I have is the running on petrol. the bus is sometimes hesitant to accelerate & becomes a bit 'snatchy'. I have put a couple of batches of Redex injector cleaner through in the last week & I can see an improvement.

I have read that prolonged running on LPG can lead to the injectors becoming gunked up. This would possibly be the problem with mine as I know that the previous owner barely used it on petrol.

On the whole though seems to be a great conversion.

Hope this helps.

brian
Old 21-01-10, 10:21
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptop View Post
i had mine done 2 yrs ago and brill[ kinda] for first 15 months then me problems started, I am seriously considering swopping me engine for a diesel, in fact it got me down so much even considered buying a landrover.....Its not the conversion but the van the 2.5 petrol seems to be a pig if something engine wise goes wrong...no f--ker seems to have the answer.....I know steve[ gassure] is changing the injectors on the guy with same van near chester....I await the outcome.....I had mine changed to start on lpg now as it wouldnt start on petrol [ and me breakdown cover refused to tow me home after 4 times].
My local garage checked my injectors amongst a thousand other things and havent resolved problem yet. It will run on lpg but if I have to switch to petrol it splutters and cuts out....a real pain.
The van , power etc is brill, mines even an auto, its a shame I have lost my true love for her...I would pay good money to have it put right, but being in North Wales dont know any real good mechanics to help out.
I was about to put a new thread up....on swopping 2.5 petrol engine to diesel...is it possible, which engine and who could do it? pm me for a chat.....
cheers Pete.
'2.5 petrol seems to be a pig if something engine wise goes wrong'

I've had my problems with Injectors but these Vans are getting old, and isn't it strange that you and the next thread both have problems?

I was chatting to a pensioner who had LPG on his Van, and whilst he was happy with the economy he had valve guides wear very Quickly and Injector problems, both of which the garage put down to the LPG causing Damage over a long Term..

So I think the Engine is good but I'm not convinced about the LPG...

Or is it just down to who fits it and sets it up???

Last edited by Telviking; 21-01-10 at 10:24.
Old 21-01-10, 13:19
Van Guru

I tend to agree- without a bit of TLC I think an LPG conversion can have adverse effects on the petrol side as the injectors etc are idle for long periods. there are many useful articles that I have found on the net about proper use/care. None of it sounds like rocket science, just ensuring that the petrol components are still used regularly to ensure they do not become blocked or caked up.

I will reserve judgement on my bus for a year or so, my 1st choice would still be diesel givent the option!! I did a straight swap with my mate- he had my '91 Land Rover Defender & I had his bus! Only money its cost me so far is the various bits I have added or tweaked.... lets hope it stays that way!
Old 15-08-10, 11:41
Van Guru

I run a tank of petrol through my engine once in a while and it seems to freshen everything up. Steve also recomends a Lube kit to keep the top end in good condition. I have been running a vehicle on LPG for about 12 years. 1st a Rangerover, then a T25, then a 2.00 T4 now a 2.5 T4. Never had any trouble with them due to gas but as I said I rund a tank of petrol through every so often usualy on a run where I get ~30 mpg
Old 23-08-10, 18:21
Lord of the T4s

Gas wise I've got a Volvo v40 2.0i that was converted to gas at 55000 miles, it's now got 205k on the clock. I guess some engines are 'stronger' than others. I know Honda's are not so good on lpg. Honda official stance was that they do not reccomend using lpg with their engines.
Old 24-08-10, 07:46
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

I havent got a van on LPG but me and my dad have 3 cars running on LPG and have never had a problem with them. We have had all our conversions done by Proffess Autogas in South Wales They may be worth a call because the owner has his own t4 on LPG and he was convering a t4 vr6 when i picked my car up.

It's not just a van, it's a vw van
Old 21-09-10, 17:52
Van Man

i,ve got a 1998 2 litre petrol conversion also done by profess in south wales.got it done for justover 850 in may 2009.its got a 72 litre tank and i get round about 250-280 miles on a full tank and at only 60p a litre its well worth having done.doesnt affect performance much but to make mine better i fitted an enormous cone air filter and it goes like sh off a shovel now