Default Re: Transformer. T5.1 LWB 104PS DSG

Nice work there bud looking sweet can you tell me where in kendal
you had the windows done and what coin is was for both as im getting mine
done very soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-01-11, 19:21
Van Guru

The van has been mainly busy driving around the last few months - 20,000 miles in 9 months so far.

But I've spent a chunk of the last couple of weekends applying some vinyl. This has taken a LOT longer than any youtube videos would suggest!

I got the vinyl from Splashographics. I sent my designs to a couple of different places and Mel at Splashographics just blew the rest away with responsiveness and help from start to very finish. And were cheapest too. I would recommend them to anyone looking to have custom vinyl made (they have off the shelf stuff too).

I designed what I wanted using Inkscape to produce vector graphics that they could use as cutting paths - so I knew I would get exactly what I sent them. The idea being to get that GT500 look with the Transformer theme

Mel laid out my pieces to get best use of least vinyl - and fitted in a few extra pieces for spares and repairs, so I have extra sets of VW logos, lettering etc.

I haven't yet worked out what I'm going to stand on to apply the piece above the windscreen, and first attempt at doing above the rear screen failed as I hadn't thought through the implications of the high level brake light, which leaves a very narrow strip below. I have a piece to try again with tho'

Getting to grips with the detail of positioning and applying vinyl for the first time, it took me hours and hours to just get these 3 pieces of stripe on last week!

Yesterday, things went much faster and I did both sides in a few hours.

I'm pretty happy with the final results - but a bit dissatisfied. If I was doing it again:

I'd leave a bit more space between the centre stripes.

I'd have got pieces made with cut outs for the top light and tailgate handle (I planned the hole for the badge but had to do these cuts myself).

I'd try and do it under cover. Being scrupulously clean is hard when the wind is blowing grit around.

I'd have heat (hairdryer) ready on hand from the start. Works wonders on the compound curves and miraculously fills in tiny nicks.

I'd trim the backing paper parallel to the design so it could be reliably used for alignment.

I'd assume from the start I was going to trim pieces to the edge of panels and not waste time trying to wrap round ends.

... but the reality is I guess we always feel a bit precious about our own work on our own vans. It actually looks ok

Last edited by StewRat; 20-05-12 at 21:56.
Old 31-01-11, 17:43
Van Rookie

Looking good Stewart, we've kept the whole design on file so if you should have any unfortunate incidents that damage any parts of the vinyl we can easily replace and for you.
If you need any areas cut out for future reference its easy enough for us to do if we have your dimensions as we did with the badge for you. All in all you did a great job of fitting
If we can be of any help in the future don't hesitate to give us a shout.
Old 08-02-11, 08:12
Serial Poster

Superb work there, really tidy. I really like the GT500 graphics design, looks ace (for a T5)
Old 08-02-11, 12:04
Van Master Jedi

I fitted a solar panel to the panel where the sunroof would normally go. I put some polystyrene sheet and some hardboard to spread the load and worked from kneeling on the roof.... Just an idea for the bit above the windscreen....?

Liking the work by the way
Old 08-02-11, 13:47
Van Guru

Yeah thanks - I was considering getting up on the roof as stepladders each side was looking impractical.
Old 08-02-11, 17:57
Van Master Jedi

Nice van and great build but can i just ask one question as an observation is your glass on the drivers side coming unstuck at the top only it looks like its lifting away and there is a gap therelooks abit concerning. i must admit i do like a red van when they are propper clean and shiney.

Mike
Old 08-02-11, 19:17
Van Guru

You made me run outside to check

But its all stuck down and same on both sides.

I think there is a trick of the light/camera that exaggerates it, but it is true that the glass isnt exactly the same contour as the metal and it does stick out marginally more at the top than the bottom.

Never noticed it before.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year

Privacy

Log-in