Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20-04-10, 00:06
Jabe Jabe is offline
Van Man
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London
Posts: 24
Default What Is The Gross Vehicle Weight of The T4 Transporter?

I was just wondering what the gross weight of the T4 transporter is... Preferably the 1998 LWB 1.9TD version. If you don't have this handy, what is the model and weight of your T4?

Regards, Jabe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 20-04-10, 00:13
Jim Doodle's Avatar
Jim Doodle Jim Doodle is offline
Forum Administrator
I Support MacmillanI Support CLIC SargentHelp For HeroesI Support Cancer Research UKI Support Children In NeedOfficial MemberVW TransporterAdministrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Leigh-on-Sea, Essex
Posts: 8,089
Default Re: What Is The Gross Vehicle Weight of The T4 Transporter?

A gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable total mass of a road vehicle or trailer when loaded - i.e including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.

T4a Pre-Facelift
Van 800 2400kg
Van 1000 2730kg
Van 1200 LWB 2890kg
Caravelle 2730kg
Chassis Cab 2890kg

T4b Facelift
Van 800 2480kg
Van 1000 2840kg
Van 1200 3000kg
Caravelle SWB 2710kg
Caravelle LWB2930kg
Multivan 2740kg
Kombi SWB 2840kg
Kombi LWB 3090kg
Chassis Cab 3000kg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 20-04-10, 01:40
Jabe Jabe is offline
Van Man
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: London
Posts: 24
Default Re: What Is The Gross Vehicle Weight of The T4 Transporter?

Thanks for the speedy reply Jim.

I think I asked the question wrong, I thought "Gross Vehicle Weight" ment the weight of the vehicle in question, excluding the load it can handle. If that is what it means, and you gave me the stats for the fully loaded, then that means the 1000 TD minus around... 1,000 kilos? = 1.8 tonnes... Correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 22-08-10, 16:49
eamonlaser eamonlaser is offline
Van Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oxford
Posts: 4
Default Re: What Is The Gross Vehicle Weight of The T4 Transporter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabe View Post
Thanks for the speedy reply Jim.

I think I asked the question wrong, I thought "Gross Vehicle Weight" ment the weight of the vehicle in question, excluding the load it can handle. If that is what it means, and you gave me the stats for the fully loaded, then that means the 1000 TD minus around... 1,000 kilos? = 1.8 tonnes... Correct?
Unladen weight should be marked on your logbook (UK), possibly as revenue weight.

I've been struggling to find out the laden weight of mine so I can apply for a permit to allow me to use our local recycling centre! (Vans need a permit in our area even if it's used for non-commercial use)

My logbook says 1722.0 KG unladen weight
My plate/sticker in the engine bay says:
2800
4500
1- 1510
2- 1490

I think this means that my gross vehicle weight is 2800kg and the maximum towable weight is 4500kg

Anyone know what the others figures mean? I've had a bit of a google but can't find anything helpful...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 23-08-10, 21:01
woofer's Avatar
woofer woofer is offline
Van Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: suffolk by the sea
Posts: 249
Default Re: What Is The Gross Vehicle Weight of The T4 Transporter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamonlaser View Post
Unladen weight should be marked on your logbook (UK), possibly as revenue weight.

I've been struggling to find out the laden weight of mine so I can apply for a permit to allow me to use our local recycling centre! (Vans need a permit in our area even if it's used for non-commercial use)

My logbook says 1722.0 KG unladen weight
My plate/sticker in the engine bay says:
2800
4500
1- 1510
2- 1490

I think this means that my gross vehicle weight is 2800kg and the maximum towable weight is 4500kg

Anyone know what the others figures mean? I've had a bit of a google but can't find anything helpful...
2800 mgvw
4500 max combined weight, so it means you can tow 1700kg
1 - 1510 max weight on front axle
2 - 1490 max weight over rear axle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 23-08-10, 21:39
Zmok's Avatar
Zmok Zmok is offline
Serial Poster
Official MemberVW Transporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bristol
Posts: 2,087
Default Re: What Is The Gross Vehicle Weight of The T4 Transporter?

GVW = Weight of van + Weight of contents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 23-08-10, 23:04
eamonlaser eamonlaser is offline
Van Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oxford
Posts: 4
Default Re: What Is The Gross Vehicle Weight of The T4 Transporter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
2800 mgvw
4500 max combined weight, so it means you can tow 1700kg
1 - 1510 max weight on front axle
2 - 1490 max weight over rear axle
Hmm, as soon as you say that it's obvious - I probably should have been able to figure it out for myself!

Thanks Woofer and Zmok!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 18-07-12, 13:57
HappyScoobyKids's Avatar
HappyScoobyKids HappyScoobyKids is offline
aka, cmp260
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: La-la Land
Posts: 423
T5 Post Icon Re: What Is The Gross Vehicle Weight of The T4 Transporter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Doodle View Post
A gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable total mass of a road vehicle or trailer when loaded - i.e including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.

T4a Pre-Facelift
Van 800 2400kg
Van 1000 2730kg
Van 1200 LWB 2890kg
Caravelle 2730kg
Chassis Cab 2890kg

T4b Facelift
Van 800 2480kg
Van 1000 2840kg
Van 1200 3000kg
Caravelle SWB 2710kg
Caravelle LWB2930kg
Multivan 2740kg
Kombi SWB 2840kg
Kombi LWB 3090kg
Chassis Cab 3000kg
hi, do you have figures for T5 too? specificaly 2006 9 seat shuttle lwb 2.5
thanks if so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 20-07-12, 21:20
HappyScoobyKids's Avatar
HappyScoobyKids HappyScoobyKids is offline
aka, cmp260
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: La-la Land
Posts: 423
Default Re: What Is The Gross Vehicle Weight of The T4 Transporter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyScoobyKids View Post
hi, do you have figures for T5 too? specificaly 2006 9 seat shuttle lwb 2.5
thanks if so.
found it Max gross weitht is 3 tonnes. base weight is 2100kg
mine now weighs 2.6 after putting on poptop, adding kitchen and beds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 04-11-12, 18:43
keithomas's Avatar
keithomas keithomas is offline
Van Jedi
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 315
Default Re: What Is The Gross Vehicle Weight of The T4 Transporter?

before i started work on my t4 i emptied it of every thing and drove to the dump and got it weighed. it was 1600 kg
"1673kg with you in it , making you eleven and a half stone of nice" said the large greasy gyppo behind the counter. still makes me shudder to this day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Location
Where you live
First Name
Surname
Postcode
Postbit Orientation
Change the display of the avatars and members types.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)
Body & Engine Type
Tell us about your van.
Date of Birth
Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.
Month Day Year
     
Privacy

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Merchandise Advert

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:42.