Old 26-05-10, 15:25
Van Guru

Default my how to fit central locking and electric windows

here is how i did mine its a genuine vw kit but its the same principal for the after market ones when at my local car breakers i came across a 1998 caravelle with factory fitted central locking and electric windows so after a couple of hours stripping all the wiring and motors out i got the them for a very good price so i could not turn them down

I started by removing the large grommets from my van and fitting the vw door bellows

Next job was to fit the wiring loom to the door for the central locking and electric windows this loom did have the wiring for the electric mirrors but some one had cut the plugs of when they took the mirrors so i have removed the wiring for these

Next job i fitted the motor and connected the rod to the door lock mechanism i used the genuine vw rods

As you can see from this photo i have clipped the wire for the motor as i removed it so it does not get damaged by the window

Last edited by palmerclassic; 27-05-10 at 20:58.
Old 26-05-10, 15:41
Van Guru

Default Re: my how to fit central locking and electric windows

Some more work done
Next i removed the A pillar plastic to run the sliding door cable in this takes the route from the passengers side foot well up the A pillar along the roof and down the B pillar

I also removed this so i could get the cable down the B pillar

Then i removed the seat belt to make it easier to get the cable down

And this is the cable

Well thats it for the minute
Old 26-05-10, 17:59
Van Master Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

keep it up, atching with mucho interest!
Old 26-05-10, 18:41
Van Guru

Next job was to get the wiring to the rear tail gate i haven't taken any photos of this as its quite straight forward from drivers foot well up the A pillar along the roof and to the rear bellow this can be a bit tricky but if you use a draw wire to pull the cable through the bellow between the two

next is the main loom from the passengers side foot well to the drivers side foot well the one on the left is the central locking

I have now got these from passengers side to drivers side just followed the main loom and cable tied them

Then its just a case of plugging them together and bolting the ring crimp to the body somewhere same for drivers side
Old 26-05-10, 19:29
Van Guru

Thats pretty much all the wiring installed just need to do the final connection but will leave that till last

Next job is the sliding door contact you will have to be brave for this bit as you need to drill some holes in your van but hey whats the worst that can happen you drill them in the wrong place

So here is how i did mine first thing i did was make some templates out of card made sure the contacts fitted in the card then drew round them with marker pen and drilled the first one out with a 3MM drill bit and a quick file voila

Then its just a case of screwing it in to the door

Then its time to drill the B pillar before i drilled it i closed the door and you can see the marks were the three pins have hit the marker pen so i am happy that they are going to line up

Then bring the cable out that i installed earlier and plug in and screw back

Old 26-05-10, 19:55
Van Guru

Now for some more next thing is fitting the sliding door motor you cant go wrong here it has only two screws holding it on but i must say i have looked at most threads on central locking for how the genuine vw rod connects to the door mechanism but with out any joy i even went to my local vw dealers the parts guy was intrigued and looked on the computer to see if there is a difference in the locking mechanism he even came out to the van scratched his head and i kid you not he was out there for 15 minutes but no luck but he did tell me to come back when is mate started and he had a look at it but to be fair to him he said its been about 6 years since he worked on a t4 but even he was stumped as it was me that removed it from the van i went back to look at the mechanism to see if there was any difference same as mine but i did find this on the ground next to the van

so here it is fitted simple don't no the part number but i am going in to vw to pick some other bits up and i am going to show the parts guy it and see if i can get a part number

so thats the front and sliding door done next the tailgate
Old 26-05-10, 20:22
Van Guru

So its rear tail gate time again looked at many threads on here and most have useful information on how you connect the rod to the mechanism you basically have to disable your door lock unless you have a caravelle locking mechanism so i decided to go down the caravelle route as i was a bit concerned about the fact i have a triple seat in the back and a fixed parcel shelf so if the motor fails how would i get in the back of my van
so anyway another trip to the breakers and 10 for the caravelle mechanism

so here is the standard type

and the caravelle type

so i have removed my standard mechanism the next thing is to change lock you have to remove the pin in photo

and pin removed its just a case of popping the lock out of the standard and fitting it in the caravelle mechanism i put some grease on at this point

next refit the mechanism to the van

fit motor and connect the rod

so thats the central locking done next the electric windows
Old 26-05-10, 20:42
Van Guru

So to finish its the electric windows i have already fitted the looms to the doors and now its just a case of fitting the electric window motors and plugging them in

next is to fit the electric window switches i had to cut the door card same again drilled them out with a 3MM drill bit and quick file sorted

switches fitted and guess what every thing works spot on even have illuminated switches

Last edited by palmerclassic; 26-05-10 at 20:49.
Old 26-02-11, 23:15
Van Jedi

Howya, any pictures on how you fitted the electrics to the fuse box etc.
Old 24-03-11, 14:49
Van Guru

Can you post up the pictures again?

And where did you connect the front door motors to? Are the sockets there in all T4s, or just ones specced with central locking?