Old 17-07-10, 10:41
Van Man
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Exhaust Gas Warning Lamp.

T5 130 2007 Shuttle Auto. 48000Miles

Recently did a full service, all VW parts, then a 400 mile return trip no problems. 2 weeks a go I kicked it down to beat the traffic lights and this dam light came on, orange icon of an engine, not flashing but on constantly. Booked bus in a local car dealer to diagnose cause. Car still drives perfectly. Dealer diagnosed 'Exhaust Pressure Sensor' failure. Ok 5 days to get one, fitted all ok, drove home all ok, left to cool down. 4 hrs later pulled away from a roundabout whilst cold - on comes this dam light. Back to the dealer the next day and gess who's fault it is, mine. "Someone has sprayed the sensor wires and that has caused the fault". Yes that was me WD40. "We have cleaned it off and it's all ok now". On the way home I thrashed it and kicked it down, perfect. Left to cool down for 3 hrs and later at the same roundabout, guess what? on came the dam light as I pulled away. Back to the dealer to be told I would have to book in and leave it with them for a day.
I don't think they know what is causing the problem so I will probably be told it needs a Diesel Particulate Filter, or a new turbo, or a new EGR system or new lambda sensors. They will keep putting on new bits until it's fixed at my expence. It has cost me 90 so far for a new pressure sensor and I am reluctant to throw more money at it unless I am convinced it will fix it.
Any helpful comments welcome.
Old 17-07-10, 10:48
BMW? You gotta be serious!

Default Re: Exhaust Gas Warning Lamp.

sounds to me like a wiring fault, but id need to know what the diag log was saying

the exhaust pressure sensor the first replaced was it a G450 do you know?

Another commonish one is g31 coolant temp sensor (may be g28 i cant remember as ive just been crying about a fight) that can cause the eml to come on.

shame ur so far away couldve plugged it in to see whats what

ime, i would get it booked in but have a chat with the service manager, explain to him that this is the third time youve needed to come back for this fault, tell him/her that you appreciate the faults may not be related but is it just co-incidence that your light had come back on so quickly, ask for some sort of assurance that if they replace any parts they are definatley needed, you could also speak to customer care if you feel you have been mistreated in anyway

Been around the block a bit
Old 17-07-10, 14:32
Van Master Jedi

If you do need a dpf... I have the one that came off my van at 5k miles from new...... hope its not this though.
Old 17-07-10, 18:22
Van Man

Exclamation Re: Exhaust Gas Warning Lamp.

Thanks for the help. Decided to by a fault code reader from Ebay. So I can try to diagnose for my self. Fault occured at high revs on Kick Down. In the meantime I have refilled with tank with Esso extra and put in some fuel treatment. I will give it a run tomorrow and see what happens.
Question?? Does anyone know if it will pass MOT test with this light on??
Old 17-07-10, 18:26
BMW? You gotta be serious!

Please don't tell me ur van is still in warranty??????

Btw it should be an advisory on mot

Been around the block a bit
Old 20-07-10, 15:34
Van Man

The plot thickens! I have bought a fault code reader. U281 CAN VW/AUDI MemoScanner. Hocked it up to van - No Code Stored? but the orange light is on??.
Tried 5 times Engine, A/T, SRS, ABS No Code Stored but the orange engine icon is ON.
What to do?? Erase fault codes. YES the light goes out. Road test full throttle shift on kick-down, can't make the Exhaust Gas Warning Lamp come on. What is happening.
The Exhaust Gas pressure switch is right in front of you when you open the bonnet. It has 3 wires and two rubber hoses that go down to the DPF, one to the front of the DPF and one to the rear of the DPF. Could this switch detect a difference in pressure across the DPF. I have tried with a pressure guage on these pipes but the pressure is so low guage hardly moves but I can feel exhaust on my finger, is this right? I have been driving like a madman to try and purge the DPF (regenerate) but I wonder if this won't happen with the light on? I will keep an eye on it and let you know. Filter arrived for the autobox so now got that to do.
Old 20-07-10, 20:22
Van Man

Re: Exhaust Gas Warning Lamp.

Further update. Been out this evening, driving along engine half warmed up, 40 mph on comes the b------y light. Drove home had to switch off engine to fit code reader, - No Trouble Codes Present - . Does anyone know if the fault code is deleted if I switch Ign off?
Should I securely attach the fault code reader and drive round with it on? Should I buy a proper VAG-COM?? Any sensible suggestions welcome.
Old 21-07-10, 15:35
Van Man

Drove van this morning, drove perfectly, full power etc perfect No light on.

This afternoon driving is traffic on comes the light, drove on home fitted U281 CAN Memoscan without shutting off engine and --- NO CODES -- but the Exhaust Gas Warning Lamp is on.

Obviously wasted my money on the code reader. I will have to save up for a VAGCOM unless anyone has any sensible ideas.

Is it possible for the ECU to detect a fault and put the light on but NOT store a code?

If I buy VAGCOM will I have the same stupid responce of the fault light on but no code stored?

Please help anyone!!
Old 24-07-10, 15:58
Van Man

UPDATE >>>>> OK raided savings and bought a VCDS / VAG-COM from www.ilexa.co.uk came with VCDS 10.6.0 on a disc and installed effortlessly on my Windows 7 laptop. Wow is this complicated. This is what it found:-

Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
Control Module Part Number: 070 997 016 M H 070 997 016 M
Component and/or Version: R5 2,5L EDC G000AG 0860
Software Coding: 0001075
Work Shop Code: WSC 00628 210 58366
VCID: 2443944B9EB3
1 Fault Found:

008785 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Negative Lead: Open Circuit
P2251 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 78960 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
RP 777 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Mass Air / Rev.: 510.0 mg/str
(no units): 1.00
(no units): 0.0
Bin. Bits: 10000001

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

This what found with the exhaust fault light OFF ? I have cleaned the contacts on the five wire Lambda Sensor and I will see what happens. Any other help welcomed.
Old 19-09-10, 17:45
Kerb Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazboi View Post
sounds to me like a wiring fault, but id need to know what the diag log was saying

the exhaust pressure sensor the first replaced was it a G450 do you know?

Another commonish one is g31 coolant temp sensor (may be g28 i cant remember as ive just been crying about a fight) that can cause the eml to come on.

shame ur so far away couldve plugged it in to see whats what

ime, i would get it booked in but have a chat with the service manager, explain to him that this is the third time youve needed to come back for this fault, tell him/her that you appreciate the faults may not be related but is it just co-incidence that your light had come back on so quickly, ask for some sort of assurance that if they replace any parts they are definatley needed, you could also speak to customer care if you feel you have been mistreated in anyway
Sounds familiar......coolant light on and off, now seems to have stopped. Two days ago the Exhaust Gas warning light came on and wont go out!

Only been doing short runs (school run)lately, should I worry about driving with this on or will a Motorway blast be good for it?

Beginning to wonder which light will come on next!

cheers wend

Tags
exhaust, pressure, sensor