Old 16-08-10, 22:11
Van Jedi
Official MemberVW Transporter

Default Brake load sensing valve!!

My van failed it MOT on the brake load sensing valve being seized, is this something that can be made free again using wd40 or should i replace it?

Only found one other post about this on the forum and it did not go into alot of detail.
Old 17-08-10, 06:46
Van Pro

Default Re: Brake load sensing valve!!

Ours failed for the same reason last year - sprayed something on it over a few days but no joy so it had to get swapped. Don't remember the part being too pricey - think I got one from GSF

Part no. for the Brake Pressure Regulator itself is 7D0612503 but there's springs, etc too that might need to get changed:

Old 17-08-10, 06:48
Van Pro

Apologies for the mahoosive image size ...
Old 17-08-10, 08:16
Lord of the T4s

---------------------

Last edited by Billybus; 26-12-10 at 01:06.
Old 17-08-10, 14:10
Van Jedi

Just picked up the new load valve and got under the van and had a look at the old one and i can move that really easily.

I am starting to think the reason the rear brakes were really low on pressure was due to me having 2 broken rear springs causing the van to be lowered which would have made out that the van had a heavy load in the back.

But then do the rear brakes increase in pressure with load or do they shift more braking to the front if there is a heavy load in the back????

I might try and get the van back on the mot rolling road and see if it has made a difference from fitting the rear springs.
Old 18-08-10, 07:04
Van Master Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalejg View Post
Just picked up the new load valve and got under the van and had a look at the old one and i can move that really easily.

I am starting to think the reason the rear brakes were really low on pressure was due to me having 2 broken rear springs causing the van to be lowered which would have made out that the van had a heavy load in the back.

But then do the rear brakes increase in pressure with load or do they shift more braking to the front if there is a heavy load in the back????

I might try and get the van back on the mot rolling road and see if it has made a difference from fitting the rear springs.
As the van gets lower the brake effort increases to the back. This compensates for carrying extra weight in back but if you fit lower springs the sensor is fooled into thinking there is weight in the back when there isn't and can cause the rear wheels to lockup in the wet or braking hard in dry.....I'm lowered 50mm and not experienced any problems yet.

Martin 2001 2.5 TD....I haven't lost the plot, just can't remember where I left it.....
Old 18-08-10, 07:56
Serial Poster

jawdropping Re: Brake load sensing valve!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlizard View Post
As the van gets lower the brake effort increases to the back. This compensates for carrying extra weight in back but if you fit lower springs the sensor is fooled into thinking there is weight in the back when there isn't and can cause the rear wheels to lockup in the wet or braking hard in dry.....I'm lowered 50mm and not experienced any problems yet.
I was thinking of lowering mine and saw that poor lads van after it 180'd off the road and thought it could be something to do with this brake pressure reducer.
Maybe before people lower the van they aught to take measurements of the van chassis to the ground at the front and back.
Then make sure you keep the ratio difference after lowering, it would probably cure the problem. Surely HD springs could effect this reducers performance too ?
I have noticed Etka has different tensioning springs on the reducer colour coded to go with the colour coded van main suspension springs.
Maybe this is a serious safety issue we should point out to people lowering and upgrading their rear suspension.
Old 18-08-10, 08:13
Lord of the T4s

---------------

Last edited by Billybus; 26-12-10 at 01:17.
Old 18-08-10, 08:16
Serial Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybus View Post
you should adjust the valve when you lower the van
I've posted a warning in the brake and suspension forums. Because if like most people I would have just done the springs and shocks for lowering.
I might look over cautious but better to be safe than sorry.
Old 18-08-10, 12:59
Serial Poster
Regional CoordinatorOfficial MemberVW Transporter

where is this sensor? was it only on the later vans? mines a 92