Old 22-03-08, 22:18
T5 Tom now!
I Support Cancer Research UKI Support Children In NeedOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Default Does my van have dual mass flywheel or not?

My van has a REALLY bad judder. To the point its starting to get to me when driving.

On pulling away, it judders,

On changing from say 4th to 3rd when releasing clutch it judders bad,

Generally, the whole van shakes/vibrates and I don't like it.

Having just spent some doing the cam belt, tensioner, a full engine service, new battery and some body work and as I intend to fit a camping interior soon I think this is something I'm going to have to sort out

So my question is,

does my 1997 P-reg, 1.9TD ABL engined van have a solid or dual mass flywheel?

And what else could be causing this vibration.

There is also a metallic rattle at idle... which is worse with the clutch pressed...... what could this be?

Many thanks,

Tom

2004 1.9TDi 104PS T5 Shuttle - Team Blue!
Old 26-03-08, 19:29
T5 Tom now!
I Support Cancer Research UKI Support Children In NeedOfficial MemberVW Transporter

Default Re: Does my van have dual mass flywheel or not?

I'm sure someone here must know

Old 26-03-08, 19:35
Van Guru

I'm sure the dual mass flywheel is only fitted to the 5 cyl 2.5TDI. The judder is probably down to the friction plate sticking on the input shaft splines. Seems like you might need a new clutch. How many miles has the van done?
Old 26-03-08, 19:41
T5 Tom now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by custardsucker View Post
I'm sure the dual mass flywheel is only fitted to the 5 cyl 2.5TDI. The judder is probably down to the friction plate sticking on the input shaft splines. Seems like you might need a new clutch. How many miles has the van done?

I REALLY hope your right looking at the DM flywheels cost!!!

Its done 143,000 miles

Full VW history (like that means anything) until 110k, and a receipt saying it had new clutch at 100k by main dealer .

so its done 43k on this clutch I believe.

The clutch bites about a third of the way up the pedal (so quite near the floor)

Thanks,

Tom

Old 26-03-08, 20:06
Lord of the T4s
Official MemberVW Transporter

hi tom .. I'm no expert myself but I'm sure the 1.9td has the same flywheel as a golf so it should be solid .. from what ive read the 2.5tdi has the duel mass wheel ..

as far as the judder goes it could be down to an engine mount , i would check the mount and bracket beside the battery for starters . failing that you might be looking at a new clutch or release bearing .. your very lucky you own a 1.9td , they're relatively cheap and easy to fit unlike the 2.5tdi where you would be looking at a very large repair bill ..

my brother had a new clutch fitted to his 2.0ltr petrol ( same setup as yours ) and it cost around 120.00 ish for the clutch ( from vw ) and about 150.00 to have it fitted at a local garage ..

Last edited by golfgtioz; 26-03-08 at 22:08.
Old 26-03-08, 21:20
Van Guru

Yeh could be a mount come loose, thats definitely worth checking.
I've done 2 of my mates clutches, one was a 1.9 the other a 2.5
The 1.9 was a solid flywheel and the 2.5 a DMF. There is amethod for checking the DMF and his was OK at 190k. Clutch is now working OK at about the same bite point as yours. Hope is just a mount or bracket.
Old 26-03-08, 22:40
T5 Tom now!

Thanks for your help guys.

And this is the very reason I bought a 1.9TD

I am only 20 so its cheaper to insure and tax.

I learnt quite a bit about engines from having two VW beetles and taking apart my mums various Renaults over the years and my dads Transits.

My plan next year is to take my van travelling around Europe, so roadside repairs are probably going to be frequent and I thought the simpler the engine the better... but needed a diesel for the economy etc.

I have a workshop manual so I'm kinda tempted to have ago at doing the clutch my self with the help of some mates caus I guess the box is pretty heavy.

I assume the box can just be pulled to the side and doesn't have to be removed? (i should stop being lazy and check the manual really)

Anyone wanna write me a brief how to on engine mounts?

Cheers

Old 27-03-08, 00:13
T5 Tom now!

Just had a thought, when clutch is pressed at idle there is a metallic rattling... could that be the release bearing.

Usually the noise goes away when clutch released. It is on release that the judder occurs I think.

Could this be it? and what is involved in replacing the bearing, box off job?

Thanks

Old 27-03-08, 08:09
Van Guru

Unfortunately its still a box out job for the release bearing. Box is heavy and i used a crane to lower it to the floor onto some hardboard and then slid it out. Engine was supported on an axle stand with a piece of wood to spread the load or alternatively a trolley jack. There is a cast lug on top of the box to which you can attach a 'D' link and sling from the crane. Both driveshafts need removing as does the exhaust at the CAT connection to allow the engine to swing forward. Took me about 1.5 days to do the 1.9 one. Have a good read of the maual it usually helps.
Cheers Andy.
Old 27-03-08, 08:18
Van Guru

Sorry forgot about the engine mounts. There are two that the engine & box hangs off, one on the right above the end of the box and one on the left uder the brake servo. I would check the longitudinal mount at the bottom of the engine. You can see this without removing the pan. Check for broken bolts or fractures in the pressed steel arm. Also check the mountings (rubber & solid at each end) for signs of cracking or collapse. This arm controls the fore & aft movement of the engine, so if this is broken or worn it could perhaps lead to juddering, but more than likely you would hear a knock as the drive is taken up and released. Good luck. Andy.