Old 21-01-11, 18:10
Van Expert

T5 Post Icon Water tanks

Has anyone fitted Cak water tanks or any other make? Which ones did you get and how easy is the job? Pictures and advice please?
cheers
Old 24-01-11, 15:28
Van Guru

Default Re: Water tanks

I have cak tanks on mine ...a large one inside the van for fresh water filled from a cap on the side of the van and an external tank that sits under the van into which my sink empties..theres a hose with a tap attached to this which sits in a c clip which can be removed and pointed towards were you want the dirty water to go or the tap can simply be turned on and emptied down a drain you've parked over......I required a much bigger water supply for the water heater I had fitted so had to use these but they are much better than the usual two plastic containers and are a lot less hassle ... I'll post some pics when I get a chance...
Old 25-01-11, 21:11
Van Master Jedi

CAK tanks are, I think, the only people in the UK who make an underslung fresh water tank specifically for the T5.

Fitting them (2 seperate tanks are linked together by a hose) is not as easy as you might think. Or what CAK may tell you.

For starters the instuctions are the very same ones you'll find in the the book, How to convert a Volkswagon T5 into a campervan, written by Lindsay Porter. Widely reviewed as an abomination of a book. It doesn't offer a step by step guide on how to do anything what so ever! It's utterly useless. I bought mine from Waterstones and took it straight back the very next day!

The instuctions, if followed to the letter, ensure that you'll put a screw into your front tank (if memory serves) on the rear right side when you repalce your chassis protection tray as their cut-out diagram is inaccurate!! Unforgivable! I reported this to them so it'll be interesting if they're still sending out the same flawed insructions.

Incidentally, in my view, the cut-outs were needed because CAK got their dimensions wrong when they designed the tanks.

The instructions have several other mistakes that are simple enough to remedy yourself.

The only other thing I should draw to your attention is the business of where to locate the filler pipe cap. I strongly advise that you position this inside the van as it'll look rank outside. There's also an outside chance of an imbecile ing into it , or filling with diesel!

In total you get 56 litres of water from the twin tanks. I have also rigged up a shower that is perfect for wild swims when you're off the beaten path.

The level indicators are a waste of time. I carry a 12 litre water tank under the bench seat in the cab so I use that to get me to the next refill point. After a while you develop a sixth sense for when it's getting low.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 26-01-11, 19:06
Van Expert

Thanks very much for that Pencildive. Probably saved me putting a hole in my tank.
I was wondering why they classified the central tank as a waste tank, could that not be used as a fresh water one to save having the two and joining them?
I've seen one filler placed in the passenger door step, where have yo uplaced yours?
Thanks again for the help.
Old 26-01-11, 20:07
Van Guru

Quote:
I strongly advise that you position this inside the van as it'll look rank outside. There's also an outside chance of an imbecile ing into it , or filling with diesel!
on mine the cap is white and flush fitting so on my white van it doesn't stand out though on a different colour van it probably wouldn't look to clever....I also solve the problem of having someone putting fuel in it by keeeping the key seperate from the ignition key and in the van....
Old 26-01-11, 20:15
Lord of the T4s
Official MemberVW Transporter

There is another tank supplier, Autocraft at Staveley, Nr Chesterfield. They supply the same ones that Autosleepers use, made by Amber Plastics.

There are two tanks available. One that fits around the spare wheel which is waht I have used in the past and have ready for my new van. The other is a centre chassis one but I think Autocraft will have to get that in special if you want it. You are looking at their part numbers W107 & W108.

The rear one is not easy to fit but is a big tank and well out of the way of other things, it also spreads the weight to the rear wheels. It can be used as a fresh water or waste depending on what you need.

How about fitting the water filler something like this. It's my prototype, better on the next conversion I hope.

Rod

Last edited by Rod_vw; 26-01-11 at 20:25.
Old 27-01-11, 14:07
Van Master Jedi

Like the solution you came up with Rod_vw. Thanks for info regarding the autocraft tanks. It doesn't mention their volume on their web page!

Brian, I positioned my filler cap on the floor. Just forward of the off side wheel arch, and close to the side.

Don't know anything about waste tanks from CAK. But it may not have the same plumbing with regard to a water in pipe.
Old 27-01-11, 14:57
Van Master Jedi

We looked at external tanks but were put off by our last motorhome which had them and we were constantly having problems keeping them clean. We opted for the reimo wheeled water tank that goes inbetween the rear seat and the wheel arch. It comes out for cleaning/ filling and uses a space that was pretty awkward to utilise properly anyway.
Old 27-01-11, 15:11
Van Master Jedi

I've had my tanks for two years and clean them twice a year with a product that motorcaravan shops stock. I've not tasted any impurities or seen a discolouration in the water either. But,I've not looked inside the tanks -- that would be tricky. So its possible they've got a little ecosytem down there!

Having said all that I only use the water for washing and coffe which is boiled.
Old 27-01-11, 17:15
Serial Poster

I have a 30L slimline water tank fitted behind my units. The filler is hidden in the front drivers step just inside the door. It has an overflow and I have fitted a L.E.D level gauge. It sounds really good and I'm sure will look very impressive when I come to sell it but it does have some major drawbacks :-(

1. Can't use it in winter incase it freezes/have to drain it for winter
2. As it's hidden I can't check how clean it is so I can't/won't drink out of it. I know there are sterelising tablets etc but who knows what nasties will be in there after a couple if years
3. Because it's hidden if it goes wrong - as it did recently - it's a major job to get to it

I never liked conversion that used portable water tanks with "drop in" pumps as it seemed a bit of a cop out but it's definately the way to go for Big stored water tanks are good for campers and caravans as they have showers/toilets etc but all you really need in a van is drinking water. My dad has a Hymer but even on that its not recommended to drink the water in the tank, just use it for washing etc

Jay