t4 speakers [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

t4 speakers

surfmatt
27-04-08, 14:35
theres a 2 dudes on flea bay that are selling speakers that just drop into the orginal slots in the t4, under the grills i bought some for 20 and they are fantastic played some led zep (whole lotta love) and the bass in imense for little speakers, well worth it. i recomend it to everone.

cloudnine
27-04-08, 15:04
Any Link for the speakers??

surfmatt
27-04-08, 15:10
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vw-transporter-t4-speaker-upgrade-180-watts-2-way_W0QQitemZ290225497028QQihZ019QQcategoryZ9889QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

these are the ones that i bought

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vw-transporter-t4-van-front-dash-speakers-180w-2-way_W0QQitemZ230246861643QQihZ013QQcategoryZ9889QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

these are the same thing but more expensive ;)

cloudnine
27-04-08, 15:24
T: cheers

surfmatt
27-04-08, 15:28
like i say, the cheaper ones are good, if you need help with wiring (how i did it) give us a shout and i will be glad to help

nealglover
27-04-08, 16:10
The very same speakers are 14.99 on Amazon.co.uk

(18.97 including delivery)

Be quick though only 7 sets in stock and I have just oredered 2 sets :D

amplifieddesign
27-04-08, 16:21
The very same speakers are 14.99 on Amazon.co.uk

(18.97 including delivery)

Be quick though only 7 sets in stock and I have just oredered 2 sets :D

got a link? never used amazon!

nealglover
27-04-08, 16:28
Cant cut and paste a link on my phone.

But if you go to www.amazon.co.uk and search for "Pyle PL42BL"
you should find them ok :ILU:

cloudnine
27-04-08, 17:19
Bugger.. wish i wasn't so trigger happy and could av saved 7 squid

warm_van
27-04-08, 17:23
me 2

but will still be happy if they fit and sound good

tracknicko
27-04-08, 17:32
like i say, the cheaper ones are good, if you need help with wiring (how i did it) give us a shout and i will be glad to help

hey dude. this will literally be my first ever mod! (do speakers count?) anyway van arrives on thursday and i have ordered a set so that i have something to tinker with. any chance you could share how you fitted yours?

thanks!

nealglover
27-04-08, 17:37
Quite right. if they sound good what's 7 ?
Still a good price for decent speakers.

surfmatt
27-04-08, 17:41
with the original speakers there are conectors at the back the unplug, cut the wires at the plug, give them a bite get some wire out i used standard electrical conectors (little white things with screws on top) to secure the wire on the other side use the wire supplied with the clip to attach to the speakers slot them in and use small screws to secure them in place and clip the grill back on. if you need any pictures i can get some.
ps: the grill pops out from the window side.
:ILU:

tracknicko
27-04-08, 17:54
thanks mate. as i said not even got the van yet so ill be having a look at them on thurs! thanks again!

surfmatt
27-04-08, 17:56
no probs, they are good sound quality and only minor modification. not bad at all. like a say if you need any help (instilation) just give us a shout

amplifieddesign
27-04-08, 17:59
with the original speakers there are conectors at the back the unplug, cut the wires at the plug, give them a bite get some wire out i used standard electrical conectors (little white things with screws on top) to secure the wire on the other side use the wire supplied with the clip to attach to the speakers slot them in and use small screws to secure them in place and clip the grill back on. if you need any pictures i can get some.
ps: the grill pops out from the window side.

could you put a few pics up? if its not too much hastle!

one of our speakers blew a few weeks ago so perfect timing to get some new ones.

cloudnine
27-04-08, 17:59
Cheers for the installation info T:

surfmatt
27-04-08, 18:07
ok if ive got time i will get some pictures tomorrow, when its light and upload them no problem at all

carlhusky
27-04-08, 19:25
Look like most other sets of 20 quid speakers on the bay.

Just binned mine a short while ago, I'm sure you'll see why in about 2 - 3 months if you like your music loud.

If you want quality speaks for not a lot, speak to justin on here and get the alpines, not a lot more money for about 3 times the performance

Just my 2p worth.....

surfmatt
27-04-08, 19:40
if people want pictures if you leave your email with me and i will send them tomorrow (easier for me)

West Stabbo Customs
27-04-08, 19:43
I bought some 4" jbl's off ebay for 16.00 A:

surfmatt
27-04-08, 19:48
awesome, anygood?

Eifion
27-04-08, 20:16
just bought some of the blue ones off amazon..came to 19 quid inc postage..cant believe the same thing is nearly 30 on fleabay! rip off

cant wait for these to arrive :D

surfmatt
27-04-08, 20:19
yeah it pays to shop around, t4 bits are renouned for ripping off

X_FISH
27-04-08, 21:51
Any 10 cm speakers will fit in the T4 dashboard. Here in Germany we have to "dremel" the casing of the speaker on the left side to fit two "ears" from the speaker chassis.

Maybe it is the other way round with right hand driven T4 due to the "mirrored dashboard".

I have installed a true 3-way-system in my T4 as front system. "Kickbass" in the doors, playing up to ca. 180 Hz. All above is playing in the dashboard with a midrange speaker (Helix) and a tweeter (Canton).

It was not easy to find speakers for the shallow baskets in the door, finally I took one of "Sinuslive", a german firm.

This firm also offers 10 cm coax speakers that are used by some people here in germany.

Greetings, Martin

warm_van
28-04-08, 06:31
what have you guys got in the rear of your van to go with these speaker and where do you fit them?

warm_van

X_FISH
28-04-08, 06:40
what have you guys got in the rear of your van to go with these speaker and where do you fit them?

The normal 120 mm clip-mounted VW-speakers (Multivan/Caravelle):

http://www.gaskutsche.de/images/schiebetuere_03.jpg

http://www.gaskutsche.de/images/schiebetuere_05.jpg

There are just a few speakers that fit there. Ohne of those (and often used here in Germany as replacement): Phonocar 2/692 (coaxial).

More interesting may be: My subwoofer. :)

http://www.gaskutsche.de/images/subwoofer_03.jpg

Build to fit under the Multivan seats in the back:

http://www.gaskutsche.de/images/070917_01.jpg

It ist bound with a belt (the blue one in the picture) to the grommets (I hope it is the right word) in the back. So it can not move around while breaking.

Greetings, Martin

surfmatt
28-04-08, 14:58
will uploads pictures now of the wiring

surfmatt
28-04-08, 17:52
can only email pictures, wont work with my files on here? dont know why [email protected] if you want any

FrankC
28-04-08, 18:12
I managed to get two sets from Amazon too - 34 inc postage T:- thats for the blue 'expensive' that Surfmatt put on his link ones that are 25 each.

Pyle PL42BL Blue Label Series

I'm hoping to fit two in the back on the roof too - anybody ever done that before?

waveride
29-04-08, 18:49
just bagged a pair myself ..... thanks guys. A:

jcet
29-04-08, 19:08
I'm hoping to fit two in the back on the roof too - anybody ever done that before?

Haven't done that but very interested in fitting speakers into the roof lining so they fit flush! Was thinking is there was any of these flat panel speakers that would do the job??

cloudnine
29-04-08, 19:14
They would prolly be too deep and maybe not sit flush.. just fitted a replacement set in the dash today and they are much better..

surfmatt
29-04-08, 20:20
they are pretty deep, maybe build boxes for them and port it?

danmon_81
30-04-08, 08:25
do they fit back under the grill????

danmon_81
30-04-08, 08:28
ignore me...i've read on a bit...I:

any other speakers people have that are good?? and Cheap?

X_FISH
04-05-08, 16:15
There is a list of fitting speakers on my website. But I do not know if they are available in GB.

The other way is to open the basket (loosing one mounting point).

Greetings, Martin

amplifieddesign
04-05-08, 19:12
got my ones from amazon last week, they are brilliant!

surfmatt
05-05-08, 10:00
awesome, do you reckon it is posible to fit more than one?

colese
05-05-08, 11:03
hello i run these.shipped from abroad but no probsA:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alpine-Tweeters-Tweeter-Speaker-180W-Crossover-Beauty_W0QQitemZ140230372933QQihZ004QQcategoryZ149 43QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and alpine 10cm mids up front.

replacing original speakers and tweeters mounted by roof handles just above the ear.

sounds awesome.:ILU:

Smooth
28-05-08, 15:12
My problem is the wiring. I cut the wire coming out of the dash and hooked up the new speaker. Nothing would play. Someone suggested this as the problem:
I presume that you have the dash speakers and the in door speakers.
If so, the dash speakers are actually tweeters and the door speakers function as low/mid range. the cabling is such that wires coming from the head unit go to the dash and then continue on to the door. Because the dash is a tweeter, it is parallel to the door speaker without a problem.
If you want to replace the dash speakers with a set of 4 inch coax you run into a minor issue - impedance. Car speakers are usually 4 ohms and if you put a set of 4 inchers in the dash and keep the door you have a total of 2ohms (I think the formula is (I1*I2)/(I1+I2). If you put them in series you have a total of 8 ohms (I1+I2)).
2ohms is often not enough for head units - good units will cut out easily and bad units will destroy themselves, 8 ohms is probably ok but reduces the watt output of your stereo and maybe lead to the stereo cutting out. One solution is to also plug in 2 way cross over (which is what I ended up doing) - have the mid/high go to the dash, there let the coax sort out what goes to the tweeter and let the lows go to the door.

Reg. cables and plugs, the speaker setup uses the standard VW plugs and you can either splice or do a clean install by getting the adapters from a sound store (e.g. crutchfield).
Florian 03MVWK
Suggestions on what I can do to make my speakers work?

X_FISH
28-05-08, 15:33
My problem is the wiring. I cut the wire coming out of the dash and hooked up the new speaker. Nothing would play. [...]
Suggestions on what I can do to make my speakers work?

Do you have speakers in the door pockets? If yes: Maybe you took the cable coming from those and cut those wires. So you connected the two speakers instead of any speaker with the head unit.

Even if you put two chassis in parallel and got lower impendance -> there should be some noise coming out of them before they break the amplifier.

Greetings, Martin

Bullyboy
29-05-08, 07:01
Look like most other sets of 20 quid speakers on the bay.

Just binned mine a short while ago, I'm sure you'll see why in about 2 - 3 months if you like your music loud.

If you want quality speaks for not a lot, speak to justin on here and get the alpines, not a lot more money for about 3 times the performance

Just my 2p worth.....

Hi
I bought these of ebay they are good for a few months, but now making a funny hissing noise drives you mad, so now need to find some better ones. If you don't play too load they are great but if you do, they don't seem to last that long but i am no expert and i may have got a bad set. I go along with carlhusky invest in some decnt ones imo.T:
Paul

mysticredcarriage
04-06-08, 17:20
Am I right in thinking that any 4in/10cm speakers should fit in the dash?

Has anyone tried anything like this? http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-alpine-sxe-1025s_p-20260.htm

X_FISH
04-06-08, 18:46
Yes, they will fit. Just break the "ears" that you do not need.

Greetings, Martin

mysticredcarriage
04-06-08, 19:54
Thanks! Think I'll give them a try. I seriously need to replace the factory fit ones T:

caddyboy
04-06-08, 20:02
I was gonna replace mine, anyone reccomend any decent, reasonably priced ones?? Just need dash ones.

surfmatt
04-06-08, 20:06
pioneer, kenwood, alpine buy names, its very worth it!

X_FISH
04-06-08, 20:40
And: Not the cheapest ones - even if it's a well known brand... Or you might buy twice...

Greetings, Martin

surfmatt
04-06-08, 21:45
indeed you might

caddyboy
05-06-08, 06:42
Dual cone I presume???

mysticredcarriage
05-06-08, 09:26
I agree about not buying the absolute cheapest, unbranded types. I've gone for similar things in the past and they were ok for a few months, then one of them failed (I think they were affected by moisture).

I'm going to fit some branded 4" dash ones soon and maybe later combine with some bigger ones in the tailgate - not spending a fortune though. Will let you know how I get on.

-Sean

surfmatt
05-06-08, 17:50
you can get pinoneers and kenwood for around the 20-30 mark

Mat Tibbenham
24-06-08, 18:36
Everybody happy with their speakers?? i jsut ordered some! :ILU: