T4 interior heating solutions [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

T4 interior heating solutions

t4covert1
30-04-08, 12:49
Guys
Also looking for suggestions on how best to heat the interior of our T4 whilst away camping we have a cooker but have been advised not to use it as to dangerous for long term cooking anyone got a better solution...
It has to whatever it is be fully self contained and be useable in any conditions i.e with or without 240v power so gas seems the only portable alternative to be of the lightest and most useable variety...
Being that i suffer with Ms to enable me to get the best enjoyment out of my van i have to be kept ambiently warm and have a real bed to sleep in hence we came away from tenting as this couldnt be acheived to any degree, in actual fact last summer we went to close by Roseneath camping and i was forced to come home early and leave the family to cary on without me as it rained constantly almost from when we went till i came home, at one point we all came home slept overnight at home, left thetents at the campite and returned in the morning it was that uncomfortable for me....
Any and all suggestions of something small, portable, useable in the van and awning and safe above all else would be appriciated.
Links, pics and costs would be of further use of course..

Slanj

budgie
30-04-08, 20:42
been looking for one myself theres a diesel one on ebay a friend has the same its great but not cheap type in night heater good luck

t4covert1
30-04-08, 20:46
Budgie see in yr location take out yr full address as yr advertising where your van is mate not a good idea really just put the area would be much beter

Slanj

t4covert1
30-04-08, 20:48
And thanks for the idea to much bother and to expensive the only real way to have a deisel night heater is to fit before the camper is fitted and mine is fitted

Slanj

ps anymore ideas come on guys dont beleive none of you have some sort of heating on board

surfmatt
30-04-08, 20:54
i know a bloke that used a gas heater, big :c, and just cranked the window down with it in haha mind you is was an ldv

t4covert1
30-04-08, 20:56
Em did i mention sensible and safe solutions guys :ILU:

Slanj

surfmatt
30-04-08, 21:08
haha, sorry i thought the risk of explosion and poisoning is a small price to pay for warmthH:

t41
30-04-08, 21:34
I can only suggest you try to get on sites with hook ups, and run a small electric fan heater. I have the same trouble, i feel the cold at night, i have also found for some reason, duvet's warmer than sleeping bags.

Tim.

t4covert1
01-05-08, 01:00
Tim
Thanks for that we have already worked that one out it is a cheap gas heater we are seeking for when we wild-camp, but thanks anyway for you input..

Anyone else got any suggestions of a method to heat the interior of our van safely with gas ????

Slanj

abbo100
01-05-08, 06:28
The only safe way if using gas to heat your van is to get a propex heater installed T:

Bluebird are the stockists and give forum discount A: A: T:

http://www.bluebird-type2.co.uk/heat.htm

Scroll down the above page for full details.

Kleftiwallah
01-05-08, 07:32
Thanks for the link abbo, cheers, Tony.

t4covert, I presume you have constructed a bed? if not, have a shufti at mine, I too like my creature comforts and with (late onset) diabetes the fingers and toes tend to get a bit chilly preventing a restful nights kip. cheers, Tony.

t4covert1
01-05-08, 12:38
Abbo thanks for input a bit on the expensive side however but most probably the dogs :c of gear i would of thought, my search continues

Slanj

t4covert1
01-05-08, 12:39
Tony where might i see your bed [oh matron] :confused:

Slanj

AndyGG
01-05-08, 15:04
I've got one of these. It's great but you can't keep it on all night.

http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails_extended.asp?catid=41&id=24

t4covert1
01-05-08, 16:57
Andy cheers for that take it this runs on the cylinder commonly used with all these single hob gas grills the size of a 1 ltr coke bottle or there about..
If so it might just be the answer any idea where i could obtain one and how much ???

Slanj

irish
01-05-08, 18:06
Hi, I purchased a HEAT PAL It runs on Meths and is very safe You can also do light cooking and boil the Kettle, IIt warms the van up nice without condensation, Like it better than Gas, (VERY SAFE) Type in heat pal into your search engine,
I have a chest complaint but get no ill efects from this heater,
BEST OF LUCK.
ps I use it in a T/4 lesiure drive conversion,

t41
01-05-08, 18:15
If all else fails Slanj, read Sir Ranulph Phines life story, you will never feel cold again. :D
Tim

trism286
01-05-08, 18:24
fleece blankets are the best for sleeping on and under with a duvet on top,much warmer than cotton to the touch and if you roll onto a cold spot on the pillow it doesnt wake you up like a cotton cover does, but an eberspacher or propex is best.the main problem i find is condensation build up

golfgtioz
01-05-08, 18:25
i would defiantly go for an eberspacher heater .. ok theres a little work involved with fitting the thing but still not that hard .. i fitted one to my own camper ( after it had been converted ) and it only took an afternoon .. ok they are not the cheapest way to heat your van but they are worth every penny ..

i can even set my eber heater to fire up about an hour before you leave for work , so your van nice and toasty and fully defrosted on winter mornings .. T: mmm warm

abbo100
01-05-08, 18:42
I've got one of these. It's great but you can't keep it on all night.

http://www.mrheater.com/productdetai...catid=41&id=24

Slanj

You requested safe ways of heating your van using gas.

The above heater and all others like it is not a safe method of heating in the close confines of your van :eek:

Apart from which they are combusting actually inside the van as opposed to a propex which has its inlet and exhaust outside the van, so they are using up oxygen and kicking out carbon monoxide in your van.

They are only really any good to use for about 10 mins. (taking extreme care that nothing gets too close to catch fire) to take the chill off and then turn them off. If you use them for any longer your van is literally running with condensation.

The only safe way to heat a T4 with gas is by a propex type blown air heater, any other way is seriously flawed which will result in you being either very damp with condensation, or very dead with carbon monoxide poisoning, or being burnt to death. :eek:

Its not worth taking the chance T:

Kleftiwallah
01-05-08, 19:00
t4covert,

T4>T4 Forums>Conversions>Someone ask about beds? follow this lead and you should find the pictures. I've backed a cooker unit and a sink unit up behind the driver and navigator's seats to preserve the benifit of the twin sliding doors. Hope the pictures help. Regards, Tony.

t4covert1
02-05-08, 11:46
Abbo and the rset thanks for your comments all understood, this was the very root of what i was attempting to get to and so did i am happy im not actually sure what to do now, dont like the expense of an esberg but dont like the hazard of anything else either ...

The reason i asked about gas heating was that obviously i would be carrying gas all the time for cooking eyc and didnt really want to carry anything else and will not always be on a campsite for power etc..

Presumably the deisel run esbergs run in much the same manner as a gas operated one only using different combustables to do so, you are all of course correct with gas poisoning and all that goes with that but we would have a full gas alarm system on board which i have recently bought and about to fit [two wires to 240 and 12 i cant go far wrong at least, which will alert us to any build up of narcotic or other gases which i felt was really important in this day and age so im not overly worried about that side of things, although not complacant either....

I like the idea of being able to safely leave a heater on overnight without any worry that is what appeals to me, so clearly without the means of electricity there is only one way, i have heard of some people using 24v truck deisle heaters and dont know how but getting it cut back to 12v as they are all fitted to trucks as night heaters and quite cheaply available second hand i beleive but getting something fitted secondhand is also not easy...

My real concerns apart from cost issues [although this van is going to have to do me for quite sometime so it might be well worth it after all] is my interior as it is fully fitted, surely taking it out to fit such heating would be a major job in itself and likely to ruin the interior and at the very least leave us with loads of rattles we didnt originally have

My learnered one your comments please as always invaluable in such cases..

Ps maybe it might be a better option to see if i cant arrange a swap fro a real motorhome version or something similar to what i have only with a esberg and a few other such comforts on board, as this van is although a really nice van proving unsuitable in a few ways now :confused::eek: really dont know what to do for the best ???

HELP T:

Slanj

Dazboi
02-05-08, 11:48
what about looking at bivvie heaters, you know fishing ones??? may be worth a try

AndyGG
02-05-08, 14:20
[QUOTE=abbo100;97538]Slanj

You requested safe ways of heating your van using gas.

The above heater and all others like it is not a safe method of heating in the close confines of your van :eek:

The reason i got that heater is because it is certified for indoor use, no different from the calor gas heaters that people use in their living rooms. It has a saftey cut off when O2 is low, and it's not the same as having a gas stove on in your van. You do have to have the windows open a bit to let the condensation out but it doesn't kick out that much. I've used it for years and it's excellent, very hot. You can run it on a propane cylinder with a hose kit or buy the small cylinders.

So-Kal
02-05-08, 15:05
Dougie - my 2p on this - you ONLY have two options :

Propex or Eberspacer/Webasto

Propex runs off gas and (new) costs about 400 - advantages are that you're carrying gas anyway, so can double up with the fuel and it's the cheaper alternative.

Eber/Webasto cost an arm (and at least a leg) but the beauty is you can run them off your diesel tank, so don't require a seperate fuel source. Also (arguably) cause less condensation too - doewnside is they go for 800 + new (although they can be got secondhand at a quarter of that - making them perhaps the cheapest option??)

If you're 'wild camping' - then forget anything else, it simply won't be as effective (performance or cost wise) in the long run.

BTW - I have neither fitted, so I've got no axe to grind on this.......... :)

t4covert1
02-05-08, 15:11
Thanks all it seems conclusive then i should be trying to source a esberg or similar one to do the job...

Still only one thing does anyone know just whats involved in fitting this as i am still very concerned where it would go and what if any issues i would have attempting to fit or have it fitted to a fitted van if you see what i mean..

Slanj

Jurasik
02-05-08, 15:37
Hi.
What about these on the bay?
heater 1 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-EBERSPACHER-D2-AIRTRONIC-12V-DEISEL-HEATER_W0QQitemZ270232957694QQihZ017QQcategoryZ760 66QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
heater 2 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EBERSPACHER-D2-12VOLT-HEATER_W0QQitemZ190219182735QQihZ009QQcategoryZ367 98QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
heater 3 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PROPEX-1600-HEATER-COMPACT-NOT-EBERSPACHER-OR-WEBASTO_W0QQitemZ260235487511QQihZ016QQcategoryZ36 798QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
heater 4 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eberspacher-D2-Airtronic_W0QQitemZ130218218637QQihZ003QQcategoryZ 15263QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
heater 5 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EBERSPACHER-D2-AIRTRONIC-12V-DIESEL-HEATER-VAN-LORRY_W0QQitemZ170215447627QQihZ007QQcategoryZ1526 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
heater 6 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EBERSPACHER-D2-AIRTRONIC-12-V-DIESEL-HEATER-EXCELLENT_W0QQitemZ150241232320QQihZ005QQcategoryZ 36798QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
heater 7 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EBERSPACHER-D2-AIRTRONIC-12V-DIESEL-NIGHT-HEATER_W0QQitemZ130218285782QQihZ003QQcategoryZ367 98QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
heater 8 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EBERSPACHER-D2-AIRTRONIC-DIESEL-HEATER-12VOLT_W0QQitemZ220229410709QQihZ012QQcategoryZ152 63QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
heater 9 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EBERSPACHER-AIRTRONIC-D2-DIESEL-HEATER_W0QQitemZ280222938375QQihZ018QQcategoryZ152 63QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
heater 10 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EBERSPACHER-AIRTRONIC-D2-12V-2-2KW-DIESEL-NIGHT-HEATER_W0QQitemZ320246299520QQihZ011QQcategoryZ367 98QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
heater 11 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EBERSPACHER-12-volt-DIESEL-BLOWN-AIR-INTERIOR-HEATER_W0QQitemZ160236176244QQihZ006QQcategoryZ152 63QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
heater 12 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EBERSPACHER-12V-DIESEL-CABIN-HEATER-boat-motorhome_W0QQitemZ140228930188QQihZ004QQcategoryZ 15271QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
heater 13 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/eberspacher-airtronic-D2-heater_W0QQitemZ190218696611QQihZ009QQcategoryZ152 63QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
heater 14 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EBERSPACHER-D2-12-VOLT-AIRTRONIC-DIESEL-HOT-AIR-HEATER_W0QQitemZ120254238059QQihZ002QQcategoryZ152 63QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
heater 15 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eberspacher-D2-Airtronic-12v-Diesel-Heater-Excellent_W0QQitemZ270233809065QQihZ017QQcategoryZ 15263QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
heater 16 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EBERSPACHER-D2-AIRTRONIC-12V-2200W-HEATER-C-W-4-POS-SW_W0QQitemZ320247129111QQihZ011QQcategoryZ36798QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

As you can see, there are quite a few of these items available, at reasonable prices.
What do you think?

t4covert1
02-05-08, 16:05
Jurasik thanks for that much obliged hadnt gotten around to search just as yet, was trying to get the info required first of all...
I take it that it is a matter of pure choice really which to choose, are they simple to fit ??? if not what can you expect to pay to have it fitted ?? and who would fit it, as in a mechanic, a boat chander, a caravan/motorhome service centre might sound a really thick question but hey that's me, [now i think quite well known for it]...
At least at those prices it is way more affordable than 800 + being suggested earlier on, and could just be the option we go for in the end..
Does anyone know for sure if the 24v truck ones can be adapted coz i might just know someone who knows someone etc who could get one out of a truck for me that being the case, anyone fitted a 24v model and if so whats required to do that ???
Slanj

Jurasik
02-05-08, 16:13
Unfortunately I cannot answer how easy they are to fit, although plenty of people on here have fitted them. I may fit one to my camper in the dim & distant future, if I feel I need it. (lots of other things to do first) T:

t4covert1
02-05-08, 16:16
Ok d thanks anyway maybe someone else could answer that question for me at some point soon and then we will descide what to do in this regard

Slanj

Jurasik
02-05-08, 18:02
Not too sure if this answers your question, but hey give it a try. T:
https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9984

t4covert1
03-05-08, 16:37
Jurasik thatnk for that i have posted to the guys currently fitting them, hopefully they will be able to assist with my query A:

Slanj

MikeD
06-05-08, 20:03
Our Propex lives under the bottom of the wardrobe - it was in the van when we got it, but looking at it I think it could have been retrofitted post-camper conversion. You could certainly get it in there without stripping the interior out, although it'd be a bit fiddly. There's just one hole to make in the side (just ahead of the wheelarch on ours), other than that it needs 12V, a gas connection and a bit of ducting to the interior.

RubberBiker
06-05-08, 20:31
On a completely different tack, have you considered a 12V electric blanket running from a leisure battery?

Normally electric heating is an absolute no-no because it consumes far too much power. But electric blankets deliver the heat exactly where you need it and nowhere else. My domestic (mains elec) one on a double bed consumes 100W on it's absolute max setting - but in practice I never have it above it's 40W setting.

Now I've never tried these 12V ones, but have used electric blankets for years whilst living in "rural-property-conversions-in-progress" with NO bedroom heating and the level of insulation/draughtproofing you'd associate with sleeping in a convertible car in winter with the top down.

Similarly bikers that have electrically-heated gloves/boots tell me what a godsend a few well-targeted watts are delivered to the inside of the insulating layer that you're under.

t4covert1
07-05-08, 12:03
Now there an idea and a half i had never thought of that one, as it would supply the heat exactly where i need it right enough directly on my body....
My worry would of course be that would a aux bat have enough power to power a blanket overnight ??? of course you are also correct it is highly unlikely that it would be maxed up all night but what would be the likely outcome in a really cold situation pressumably a totally flat aux bat every morning ...
How long could you run one of a 110 aux bat at 40w for anyone know as the aux would still be required for light and some sort of entertainment whether that be my lap top for dvd's or the mp3 player etc as i'm not very good at entertaining myself ???
No stupid coments pls i know my quwstions beg comments of this sort but they are serious q's all the same

Slanj

Jurasik
07-05-08, 12:29
Just 40w would be something like this:
40/12 = 3.33amps.
I think on a 110amp/h battery It would last about 33 hours. (I think!)

phil5556
07-05-08, 12:32
Eber or propex is the only way to go. I've just got a D1LC Compact (as you've seen on the other thread). It kicks out A LOT of heat and I'm sure it'd heat the van in no time. You can leave them on all night as they kick in and out and run at high or low powers to keep at your temperature.
Mine was 150 for heater and pump. Just need fuel pick up pipe for tank, under a tenner off ebay, and some ducting, maybe 20?
Relatively easy to fit once you've found a spot - what about under the bed somewhere and duct it underneath and out the front box? Just watch out for spare wheel when you drill the holes!

t4covert1
07-05-08, 16:16
Still considering all options will make a move soon in one direction or tuther at that time thanks for all the ideas some major and some minor ones as we fully intend keeping this van as long as it wishes to serve us faithfully it might make good sense to fit either a propex or eisberg unit at the end of the day prefer the deisel run option however but would defo need it fitted by a pro if i go down this route ..

Next job on my to do list is to find a localised fitting centre somewhere semi locally and seek advice costs etc ...

In the rear wheel well sounds just the job if you ask me as a site for it out of the way and harms way to...

Slanj

TDI Dave
07-05-08, 18:52
Sorry this is going to be long

Ive fitted /fitting a d2 airtronic eber (uses lot less battery power than the old D1L types

please note I HAVE NOT FININSHED it so the wiring is a big mess and only in place for testing puposes (it does work fine)

i put the heater under the floor (saving cabin space) the outlet duct is also not the final one ill use

The control wiring isnt finished as i have a 7 day timer for the dash
currently using a rheostat type thing as you can see

the eber is mounted in a purpose made box which i have modified to make it alot smaller

the only holes in the actual van are the 45mm air duct and two 10mm holes for wires

the box mounts underneath on the chassis cross bars so no holes in the actual floor of the bus

the diesel pump is spliced into the diesel fuel pipe for the other eber under the bonnet which is redundant anyway

finaly it exhausts near the rear wheel but i am in the process of routing it closer to the wheel

it would be better suited to the non sliding door side but i couldnt as the aux heater undeneath was in the way

next to the spare wheel would also be good place but diesel feed and wiring would be a massive task for me to rout it that far

heres some pics so far

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z50/bus-yed/P5070011.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z50/bus-yed/P5070021.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z50/bus-yed/P5070020.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z50/bus-yed/P5070009.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z50/bus-yed/P5070010.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z50/bus-yed/P5070022.jpg

TDI Dave
07-05-08, 19:22
Forgot to say this all mounts higher than the fuel tank and exhaust system even the ebers exhaust at the lowest point is higher than the vans actual exhaust sytem boxes

BANANAVAN
07-05-08, 19:34
wicked idea Dave!! alway wonded if they could go under the floor! I deffo want to fit my Alux battery under there and now it seems i have the option to put my heater there too.

2 questions

1 the heaters exhaust thats not the torsion bar braket it attached to is it!?
2 where is the inlet for the air to the heater?

cheers JIM

t4covert1
07-05-08, 20:40
Banana van have u got anywhere with the bat box yet ???

Slanj

BANANAVAN
07-05-08, 21:03
Banana van have u got anywhere with the bat box yet ???

Slanj

nope not yet!! sooooooooo much stuff to do! so litttle time!!! please stop ordering badges!!:D

Burgy
07-05-08, 21:28
What about something like an energy recovery system

http://www.autothermusa.com/

another american idea

http://www.transportparts.carrier.com/details/0,2806,CLI1_DIV11_ETI11370,00.html

or some others

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/12voltheaters.html

or have a look at some of the webasto heaters.

t4covert1
08-05-08, 09:28
Thnks for that some interesting and possibly far easier options in among that lot of links some amount of reading however and no time just now but will read it all fully later on i'm sure i can now find something suitable for self fixing into the van...
Cheers for all help guys most interesting...and helpful..

Slanj

mcjjordan
21-06-08, 21:25
on my caravelle theres a big diesel type heater thing under the front wheel arch??
what is it ??
can it be configured to use as a heater ???
i see in the owners manual is says summin about you can set it to turn on by a panel on dash (which i havent got)
can i just get the panel and plug it in??

wishfull thinking???

phil5556
24-06-08, 22:40
on my caravelle theres a big diesel type heater thing under the front wheel arch??
what is it ??
can it be configured to use as a heater ???
i see in the owners manual is says summin about you can set it to turn on by a panel on dash (which i havent got)
can i just get the panel and plug it in??

wishfull thinking???

It's your aux heater for the engine. In temps below about 5*C (mine came on a couple of times over the winter) it kicks in to get the engine up to temperature quickly.

You can buy a kit that will give you the dash panel to run it independently of the engine - think it's about 200?

Someone on here had done it but wasn't too impressed as it took a long time to heat up - it had to heat the engine coolant before you started to get heat from it, which is a lot of wasted energy. I'd wondered if it was possible to get the kit then plumb it into JUST the rear under floor heater. If possible it should give you a very efficient heater T:

200 will buy you a decent air heater (eber, webasto or propex) that will give you more heat.

mcjjordan
25-06-08, 21:53
oh ok so thats a no go then.....shame

MarkersParkers
11-10-08, 20:47
What about just using an electric blanket overnight and just getting a fan heater for day use?
http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/car_accessoires/motor_electronics/miscellaneous_12v_appliances/12_volt_appliances/197255-electric_travel_blanket_12v.htm

http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/car_accessoires/motor_electronics/miscellaneous_12v_appliances/12_volt_appliances/198884-ceramic_fun_heater.htm

dudewheresmyboard
14-11-08, 14:13
I love my heated blanket, put it in my bed, go out at night come back to a warm bed, sweet...thought about putting it on a timer so that it turns on in the morning to heat my seat, but havent found a timer yet. deffinately needs a seperate battery as i found out.
got mine from maplins, pretty cheap atm!

Daaisy
15-11-08, 11:11
I love my heated blanket, put it in my bed, go out at night come back to a warm bed, sweet...thought about putting it on a timer so that it turns on in the morning to heat my seat, but havent found a timer yet. deffinately needs a seperate battery as i found out.
got mine from maplins, pretty cheap atm!

Hi dude

I've been looking for a short term "heating" solution and this may just be it !!!!!

i was just wondering how long you managed to run it without it flattening the battery???

Cheers

Daaisy

dudewheresmyboard
15-11-08, 15:07
its 45w, so someone can work that out, i had it going for about 3 hours, but my battery is old, sorry thats not much help, im wiring it into my leisure battery for sure though! hope it works out!

scott337
15-11-08, 21:29
Hi dude

I've been looking for a short term "heating" solution and this may just be it !!!!!

i was just wondering how long you managed to run it without it flattening the battery???

Cheers

Daaisy
Daaisy I use one of these battery protector (http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=37962) does exactly as it says on the tin

Daaisy
15-11-08, 21:29
Three hours doesn't sound that long:eek:

I'm at sorting out this usage stuff...............

I successfully managed to flatten my battery at two shows this year..........van west and volksfest wales AAArgh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which is kinda embarassing when your in an ex AA and looking for a jump start lol!!!!

but i suppose if you only do half hour then its fine

leisure battery is on my ever growing list.......but also a long way off:(

Thanks any ways

Daaisy:ILU:

Daaisy
15-11-08, 21:34
Daaisy I use one of these battery protector (http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=37962) does exactly as it says on the tin

Scott.................

I never knew they existed!!!!

with my track record they are just what i need lol !!!!!!

and affordable too:D

mwah

DaaisyA:

p_w
17-11-08, 22:32
ONE of THESE (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SLIM-HEAT-ELECTRIC-PANEL-HEATER-VERY-ECONOMICAL-200W_W0QQitemZ290275228491QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 290275228491&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318) and an inverter??

Anyone got an opinion?

Phoenixsp1
18-11-08, 11:59
ONE of THESE (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SLIM-HEAT-ELECTRIC-PANEL-HEATER-VERY-ECONOMICAL-200W_W0QQitemZ290275228491QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 290275228491&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318) and an inverter??

Anyone got an opinion?

It would completely flatten a 110AH battery in a few hours and 200 Watts isn't enough anyway. You'd need at least 1500 watts in an insulated / ventilated van to keep it nice and warm when its cold outside.

simplepsy
18-11-08, 12:08
You lot are all wusses.

I sleep in the freezer cos I get too warm under the hedge in the back garden.

Grow a fur coat - it sorted our ancestors out :dunno:

(Having never spent a night in my cold van I feel I can fairly comment on this issue)

I:

OK OK I know that comment of mine could be seen as trolling. What you gonna do about it then? Eh?

OK, relevant input time.

I agree with others when they say use blankets, good duvets etc. The most efficient way to keep warm would be to conserve body heat.

Keep the heat in, and heat the smallest space possible (under the duvet) and there is no reason why you should be cold. If the van is well insulated (including windows) then it will be warmer than the outside by a fair number of degrees.

Consider getting out the duvet the equivalent of a cold shower... its good for you!

Bunny19770
19-11-08, 14:57
Please be care ful with gas!
I had to pull out of my friends who almost died from Carbon dioxide poisoning from leaving their gas hob on to warm up when they were drunk. Not nice at all.
A deisel night heater are the best or if you are hooked up to electric an oil radiator.
B:)

taffyapples
19-11-08, 15:23
Are those little heaters that u plug into your cigarette lighter any good?
Ya supposed to use em to just warm car until engine warms up to create enough heat for blowers.
I mean they are small units, but for a quik blast would they really drain the battery????
I saw one in one of those granny catalogues that sell single furry boots for old dears, and stuff of that sort, was only 19quid!
I might give one a try.

stridey
19-11-08, 15:56
Bunny, I know what yer saying, but it sounds like your confusing gas heating with Carbon Monoxide poisening. NOT 'Dioxide'!!!

A diesle night heater such as an Eber or Webasto is as susceptable to producing Carbon Monoxide as any gas (propane, butane) fueled heater. in fact the DO create poisenous exhaust, and thats why they are vented to the outside of the van. Any heater that doesnt do it is of course putting the poisenous gases into the van....

Its not the method of combustion thats dangerous, as any form of flame heater will produce Carbon Monoxide. Its the application that is dangerous.

Thats why only heaters vented to the outside of the van such as webasto, propex, eber, fitted properly are safe, and why an oil filled heater or electric fan heater from hookup are even safer.

Its the Carbon Monoxide production that is the problem, not the fuel you use to create it!

simplepsy
19-11-08, 16:57
Although carbon dioxide is also dangerous in confined spaces....

Grave diggers, road workers, anyone lower than ground level can be overcome by CO2 as it sinks into the hole and they pass out, eventually suffocating.

I suspect a van is not airtight enough and in most cases you will be higher than floor level although I guess the risk is still relvant given enough time

stridey
19-11-08, 17:52
The nice thing about Carbon Dioxide is that it will extinguish the flames. (and if you have a smev, or a safe cooker, it would cut out once the flame goes out).

And in solid form it is dry ice.

My worry is that if we get the name of the dangerous gas (MONOXIDE) right, and the one produced by heaters, then people will go out and look for 'Dioxide' detectors....then find they dont exist...or get a detector that doesnt detect the right gas.

snigvan
19-11-08, 18:06
May have been covered as I havn't read full thread yet but whichever system you go for get a Carbon monoxide detector fitted. The little stick on ones (if they're still around are cheap) battery ones 26 pound from screwfix.