random oil pressure warning "help" [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

random oil pressure warning "help"

phil
12-11-07, 08:21
ever since Ive had the van I have had a random oil pressure warning coming up now and again.
engine 2.5 blue tdi 88 bhp
59 k miles.

I have had it checked out by VW when it had its service and the oil pressure is fine, the sensors are fine and there are no fault codes logged.

I had a similar problem with a Polo years ago and it turrned out to be a bad connection on the back of the dash.

The fault has no pattern to it, I can drive for an hour on mixed roads and get nothing and I can drive for 10 mins and it will flash up 2 or 3 times.

I get 3 beeps and a red oil light then it clears

what do you reckon ?

gremlins ?

vanbling
12-11-07, 08:55
Still sounds like an intermittent fault on one of your oil pressure switches.

I had the worse sceneario with the oil pressure light at 48k. The light would come on when i'd been driving on motorways for some time and when i slowed down it would come on when it detected a difference in flow rate due to a restricted mesh on the oil pump. Result was a warranteed engine, all of it!

Oil pressure switches aren't that costly so it may be an idea to change the easy to get to ones. I also beleive they break down when in areas of heat, so you may want to do those first.

phil
12-11-07, 11:00
Thanks for that VB

I think I will go ahead and try new sensors, I wondered if it might be a heat related issue.
Also thinking about fitting an oil pressure gauge to give me something else to worry about lol.

Vanbling, did youre light stay on for a long time or was it just a few seconds ?

I wonder if it could be worth me droping the sump cover off and cleaning the pick up filter.

vanbling
12-11-07, 11:33
It used to come on after getting hot, there was no noticeable faults other than the light coming on. The water temp guage was still in the middle, but this isn't your oil temp.

When i started digging around about oil pump failure on the VAG forums it turns out it isn't too uncommen and is as a result of co-ag on the meshing due to poor oil/oil boiling and co-ag building up on the mesh. This in turn starves oil to your big end, so as a result VW changed the full engine.

I have had oil pressure light come on on one of my other T4's and that turned out to be just the switches. I changed one of the switches and the light would intermittently come on so changed the other and hey presto it worked.

phil
12-11-07, 12:01
hmm,

Spoke to the missus today, she took it to Truro to do some shopping ( approx 30 mile round trip ) no probs on the way there but lit up under braking off the dual carriage way about 3/4 of the way home.

In retrospect I would also say that the times it has occured on the shorter trips were the ones where it had already been run from being used earlier in the day, so maybe the oil viscosity is playing a part after all.

I also suspect that the "fleet" servicing on my van could have left a little bit to be desired, it might be that a low grade of oil has been used over the years and that the result of this is a build up on the pump pick up mesh.

I am going to get the mesh checked out just to make absolutely sure that this is not related, A few hours labour to drop the oil and the sump is a small price to pay compared to a re-build.

Did you have low pressure at tick over at all ? I would have thought that if you were getting a blockage that this would show up more at low revs ?

I dont get anything at all if the vehicle is stationary

thanks a lot for all your help, T:T:

Phil

vanbling
12-11-07, 12:26
No probs Phil, it does sound alot like what happened to mine.

I've just had a route on the interwebnet and although not all directly relevant you get the idea on VAG oil pumps

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php/t-89.html

http://www.torquecars.com/volkswagen/vag-1-8-turbo.php

Heres a good one
http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

wardy
12-11-07, 15:53
try the connections on the back of the dash pod first, i had a 66k 2.5 tdi cause me weeks of grief changing sensors and oil pressure checks to find out it was a dodgy connection from when the alarm had been fitted

phil
12-11-07, 19:23
Thanks Wardy,

I am going to check everything I can to try and get to the bottom of it.

got it booked in for wednesday to have the sump dropped and the oil pump filter screen cleaned out and blown through.

I will check with VW to see if there was any [email protected] in it, if so i will get a full flush done and another oil change to be sure its all out and then monitor the situation.

I really hope that it is electrical but I have got to check this 1st

all the best

Phil

vanbling
12-11-07, 19:32
Good luck Phil, keep us informed on your progress

phil
15-11-07, 13:55
Well.....................

just had the phone call...

twas the pump after all :eek:

The strainer was clean as a pin so no probs with sludge or co-ag however the pump was shot, only doing about 50% duty when up to temp, still within the tolerance rang but dropping off under braking and surge.

VW techies are confident that there is no damage done, they had a good look around when the sump was off, I know only time will tell but it doesnt rattle or bang so hopefully I caught it in time.

With the new pump fitted oil pressure is 100% improved over the failed pump so thats good news.

and only a 530.00 bill for the pleasure, although a good percentage of this should be recoverable under warranty :)

Cant tell you how good it feels to have it fixed H:

Thanks again to Vanbling for taking the time to post, I could have left it thinking it was just electrical and [email protected]@ered the whole motor up..

Wonder if there's a prob with some 03 oil pumps then ?? who knows

Ta

Phil

brook891
15-11-07, 19:54
ever since Ive had the van I have had a random oil pressure warning coming up now and again.
engine 2.5 blue tdi 88 bhp
59 k miles.

I have had it checked out by VW when it had its service and the oil pressure is fine, the sensors are fine and there are no fault codes logged.

I had a similar problem with a Polo years ago and it turrned out to be a bad connection on the back of the dash.

The fault has no pattern to it, I can drive for an hour on mixed roads and get nothing and I can drive for 10 mins and it will flash up 2 or 3 times.

I get 3 beeps and a red oil light then it clears

what do you reckon ?

gremlins ?
hi i had the same problem about a week ago, just pop down to your local vw place a buy a new oil preasure switch, it cost about 8.00 its dead easy to fit, just un screw the old one from the top of the oil filter and pop in the new one.

phil
15-11-07, 20:31
just got back from a 60 mile flat out blast up the A30.

no lights bleeps or anything

shes fixed baby yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!!

vanbling
15-11-07, 21:06
No problem Phil, I am dead chuffed its fixed and happy to have helped.

Just to make you feel even better about it. VW had to replace my full engine which included all the belts and a new clutch, cost VW 4500. This was in the last week of my warranty :eek:

Also to note is that I didn't have any noticeable side effects. Although the dealership decided to replace the whole engine, maybe they never really needed to do all that work. Afterall all they do is claim the money back off VW??

Well Chuffed
Adam
Vanbling

Dan P
04-03-08, 22:59
I have had a similar warning light problem on mine recently 3 trips to vw for new pressure switches that all seemed to be faulty then the alternator gave up the ghost so i changed it and hey presto the light stopped flashing.

nickdavis19
23-10-08, 21:04
hi, i have a similar problem, but the oil light and buzzer comes on and the rev counter dies, did your rev counter die too??
if not, i think mine may be electrical, not mechanical, any ideas??
cheers
nick

phil
23-10-08, 21:27
Hi Nick,

No rev counter problems for me, just the buzzer and the oil light.

cheers

P

nickdavis19
24-10-08, 11:06
hi guys, please excuse me butting in but i have a similiar problem....as soon as i start my t4 up (1999 2.5 tdi) the oil light/buzzer comes on and the rev counter dies........did this happen to you?
now......i have read loads of threads and could be a few problems....

1. bad connection on alternator
2. oil pressure switches

on the alternator there is the main battery feed and one other small blue wire, the connections are fine. although somepeople have two small wires and the battery feed, any ideas why?

i have changed one pressure switch which is near the sump,(brown switch with yellow wire) but no luck still........are there anymore oil switches as i cant seem to find them.....i have looked at the wiring diagrams and t4 models after sept 1999 only seem to have one oil switch...is this true?

i would be grateful for any help possible
thanks for your time

nick

DOWNHILL44
24-10-08, 19:39
Check your oil pressure i have a 88 bhp 03 plate t4 had the same problem with the oil light and buzzer when hot, i checked the oil pressure and it was only 10psi found out it was the oil pump the six cap head bolts had come loose and the oil wasn't going through the pump it was going round the sides,

New pump from Vw cost me 215 and labour another 175 Lucky there was no damage to the engine.

ps the new pump has locktight put on all the bolts when you buy it so vw must know there is a problem with the 03 pumps.Dai