Another which one for me - Fuel issue [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Another which one for me - Fuel issue

Noo Noo
06-06-08, 08:46
Hi all

Saving for my first T4. Got to be done I reckon BUT which one.

Stating the obvious I want to keep my running costs to a minimum and my reliability to a maximum.

So, are there any huge benefits to LPG against the diesel models. Any help appreciated as I clock between 30k - 35k miles a year so my fuel costs are scary with today's prices.

Thanks

golddust
06-06-08, 09:47
Well I recently bought my 1st T4. It's a 2.5TDi LWB and I am getting 600 - 650 miles from a full tank which cost me 98. I typically do motorway driving at 60-70mph.

Personally I'm currently wondering if I would have been better off with LPG but I'm hopeful of a drop in the price of veg oil or other bio solution.

BangBus
06-06-08, 10:03
Here's a thought and i'm wishing i did it, Go for a petrol van and get a LPG conversion more money up front but massive savings!!! Most diesel vans Av 32 MPG and tripping through Wales doesn't help. 1.28p / L or 0.54/L Humm let me think:confused:. MPG on LPG is slightly less but you should half your fuel bill 30,000 miles = 60 tanks of fuel @ 85ish = 5100 (Save 2550 / year) Cost of conversion 1440 ~ 2400.
I have seen a few on Autotrader with LPG conversion already, Look for VR6 carvelle, there is a guy in north wales selling a blue one. I saw it at Hellsmouth the other week and looks nice.
There is a conversion for Diesel to add LPG to increase MPG but the payback is slower and the technology is very new..
Hurry up and get one soon..T:

Noo Noo
06-06-08, 11:02
thanks guys

just done some quick sums.

diesel @ 127.9p/litre and 34mpg gives a return of 16.5p per mile

LPG @ 55.9p/litre and 22mpg gives a return of 11.5p per mile

Over my journeys of about 450miles back home it would save me about 25 a trip. Quite a saving.

So that sides sorted but are there any reliability / maintetence issues with the Petrol models?

surfmatt
06-06-08, 14:54
the 2.5tdi is brilliant on fuel, fast, and will clock up 5k miles im not well off but im so glad i bought a 2.5tdi

marco
06-06-08, 19:09
I've got a 2.5i petrol and it's great, loads of torque, and the ability to lose you your licence, it's just coming up to 200k miles and still runs sweet as a nut, quieter than a diseisel too, not got lpg though. Traction is a problem if the roads are damp though.

polosteve
06-06-08, 19:44
I've got a 2.5i petrol and it's great, loads of torque, and the ability to lose you your licence, it's just coming up to 200k miles and still runs sweet as a nut, quieter than a diseisel too, not got lpg though. Traction is a problem if the roads are damp though.

Evening
How many miles do you get to a full tank if you drive it nicely?

dsa
06-06-08, 22:45
hi my 2.5 petrol is cheaper to run than my mates 1.9td :)

Sam
08-06-08, 20:35
I recently bought a 2.5 petrol auto Velle. Google a company called Gasure who do lpg conversions and are highly recomended by people on this site. The site gives you a lot of info including a calculator to see how soon you can recover your initial outlay for the conversion. If/when I do it, it will take approx 1 year to recover my costs and I only do approx 10k miles a year and most of that is running around locally so you should see your monay back pretty quickly. It also adds a bit on to the resale price of your van in the future. The petrol van will probably be less to buy than a diesel at the moment too as the trend seems to be for diesels. It's fair to say that mine is a bit heavy on juice because of my local driving and the auto box but I absolutely love the sound of it, something I could never say about a diesel but that is a personal thing, it doesn't bother some people at all.

Noo Noo
09-06-08, 06:33
Thanks people

If there's no reliability issues then the sums seem to suggest a Gased petrol is the way to go. (at the moment anyway)

Sam
09-06-08, 08:59
If you get a petrol, think carefully about the gearbox. The auto is fantastic but a nightmare if it goes wrong.

Noo Noo
09-06-08, 09:26
yeah thanks

Would have to be manual I think. Not a huge fan of auto boxes. Great on a run mind but darting about town and Snowdonia - not for me

boswell
09-06-08, 12:06
My 2.5 petrol on LPG is giving me about 13p per mile and is a way sweeter drive than a rattley diesel lump :D

jago25_98
25-06-08, 06:15
My points:

- what about my hi top? It's very nice to have I wonder how much this costs me in fuel these days as an everyday vehicle
- auto gear boxes cost more fuel because generally they only have 3 gears; 6 speed gear box would be better
- I think LPG is the way to go at this immediate moment
- Veggie oil conversion is ~800-1000, but regretably the supermarkets have put oil up to >1 instead of 50p/litre. The question then is, can a cheaper source be found?

I know I still want a van, or at least somewhere to go to escape... and I can afford driving this hi top around, but it would be nice to save some money.
Perhaps I will get a motorbike to put on the back.

Sam
25-06-08, 07:34
As a matter of interest the autos are 4 speed but your point is still right. The only thing that keeps lpg cheap is the tax not being as high. I don't think G.Brown would dare raise it whilst trying to appear to be an eco warrior but the sooner you get it and start using it, the sooner you move into profit, which with the original poster should be within 6 months.

bigcat
25-06-08, 09:28
Thanks people

If there's no reliability issues then the sums seem to suggest a Gased petrol is the way to go. (at the moment anyway)

At risk of chucking water on the fire, I can't imagine lpg for automotive use will be left out in the tax stakes anytime soon :confused:
Maybe the VW engines are fine on LPG, but a friend of mine was vehement that he wouldn't gas his V8 Range Rover, because he tells me there are operating temp/ lubrication issues long term. I stand to be corrected of course I:
2.5 tdis are pretty efficient and give a very good (35+) mpg if nursed along.

boswell
25-06-08, 09:43
At risk of chucking water on the fire, I can't imagine lpg for automotive use will be left out in the tax stakes anytime soon :confused:
Maybe the VW engines are fine on LPG, but a friend of mine was vehement that he wouldn't gas his V8 Range Rover, because he tells me there are operating temp/ lubrication issues long term.

If tax on LPG is raised too high there would be no incentive to use it so the government would be careful not hit it too hard, I think it's up for reveiw in 2009.

The internet if rife with LPG causing temperature and lubrication issue but there is little if any solid evidence to back it up.

rayvon
25-06-08, 09:43
Whereabouts in 'N Wales' are you Noo Noo?

If you're close enough to me, give us a shout and you can come for a spin in my 2.5 TDi (102), give you an idea of what to expect.

Noo Noo
25-06-08, 13:55
Whereabouts in 'N Wales' are you Noo Noo?

If you're close enough to me, give us a shout and you can come for a spin in my 2.5 TDi (102), give you an idea of what to expect.

cool offer cheers. T: A:

I'm in Blaenau Ffestiniog most weekends but usually up a mountain or on a beach somewhere.

t4shaggy
25-06-08, 18:38
hi i have 2.5 petrol that runs a necam lpg conversion and was installed from new ,the van has now done 96k on a y plate ,i filled up 2 weeks ago with 76 litres for 36 qid in yeovil and ive just done 512 miles on it before it conked out ,im well impressed with lpg ,heat wise i was told it runs hotter but to be honest the needle has not gone above 90 on the dash ! only draw back is i got a head ache for the first week of owning it because the smell lol

marco
25-06-08, 18:59
Evening
How many miles do you get to a full tank if you drive it nicely?
450 ish.
Worked out if I drive like a granny I'll squeeze 29mpg, if I drive it hard I'll struggle to do 20mpg.

Noo Noo
26-06-08, 07:07
I've got a little Excel spreadsheet thingy which works out your MPG, Km/L and cost per mile based upon the mileage and cost of fuel or how much you've used etc.

i wish I could attach it here somehow. Any ideas?

Eitherway based on about 20miles per gallon and 55.9p per litre it works out to be under 13p per mile.

boswell
26-06-08, 07:50
I've got a little Excel spreadsheet thingy which works out your MPG, Km/L and cost per mile based upon the mileage and cost of fuel or how much you've used etc.

i wish I could attach it here somehow. Any ideas?

Eitherway based on about 20miles per gallon and 55.9p per litre it works out to be under 13p per mile.

My figures are similar :)

Matt888
26-06-08, 07:52
Just to add to LPG discussion, I had a Jeep Cherokee that I had fitted with LPG, ran well for about 6 months or so but then developed a small misfire which you couldnt really notice when it ran on petrol but gave a rougher ride when running on gas. Apparently when they run on gas the top end can run dry causing the valves to burn out so make sure you have the small oil drip feed bottle fitted which helps lube the top end.
One other note, we had a 2.3 Ford galaxy petrol which I was going to get converted but never did. When we part ex'd it for our new car the dealer we bought it from told us that he wouldn't of taken it if was LPG as the RAC wont give their warranties on LPG converted cars....... something to think about when time comes to sell.

Matt