Calais to Reims [Archive] - VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

Calais to Reims

sparrow
12-06-08, 12:20
Hello T4 people,

I am planning to drive my High-top T4 camper to Reims shortly. Anyone experience of the roads who can suggest a good route.
The A26 motorway seems good until you add in the cost of the tolls. My van, being over 2 metres tall, looks like it will have to pay 30-40 for the trip.
There are some parallel normal roads, but they are a lot slower. Viamichelin gives 4hrs 30 instad of 2hr:30, and I expect will take more fuel too.

Any thoughts anyone? Anyone done this down the "normal" roads and if so, how long did it actually take?

Thanks

Sparrow

reimoboy
12-06-08, 12:24
We always use the A26, yes you have to pay the tolls but I think it is worth it it for the traffic free motorway where you can achieve good fuel economy by travelling at a constant speed. Very good rest areas as well!

T4wake
12-06-08, 12:31
I've been through France loads of times.

Everytime the A26. Its totally hassle free. Yes its a bit of more money but as has been mentioned you will save on fuel economy.

I have found if you take the other roads you are constantly going through small towns and speed limits etc.

If I remember correctly, lorries are not allowed on the motorways on Sundays which makes it a good day to travel.

Hope this helps

Veidda vans
12-06-08, 17:12
A26A:A:A:

Did it about 4 years ago, all the way to Venice:ILU:.

I was a passengerI:I:I:

Watch out for the mechanical man if you go through any roadworks, made me laughH:H:

mr self destruct
12-06-08, 17:38
Changing the subject slightly, Reims is a great place!
Mr Big and I went there on the Scumball last year and got these shots of the grandstand on the outskirts of the town:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/jonnyspatter/Scumball/Picture197.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/jonnyspatter/Scumball/Picture173.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/jonnyspatter/Scumball/Picture180.jpg

When you get there, make sure you go to the transport museum too. We did, and it was well worth it! :ILU:

oskins
12-06-08, 18:38
I just got back on Sunday morning.
A26 everytime.
Less than 20Euro for the tolls. Thats a T4 with a 4 wheel trailer.
Great motorway. No traffic.T:

Desp Dan
12-06-08, 19:17
A26 everytime.

He's not wrong that Bob T: ;)

phil5556
13-06-08, 00:10
A26 everytime.

It's done on height though, it'll be more than 20

sparrow
26-06-08, 12:30
Just got back.

I got charged 28 for the full distance Calais to Reims. Well worth it for the lack of hassle.

Ended up down in the Burgundy region - great fun going round the vineyards and cellars.

Coming back we came a different route, missing out Reims. We joined the autoroute at St Quentin and was charged 16 from there to Calais.

Thanks to all for advice.

Sparrow.